Quantcast

Helicopter Ride In Whistler, anyone have any info?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
all you have to do is just keep hucking bigger and bigger hucks, eventually you'll get a helipcopter ride for free!

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
EL Jefe, a guy who posts here did some type of heli drop last year in BC. I think he can give you some info.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
it was called "disneyland". I dont believe they are activly doing it now. I'd suggest calling a bike shop in squamish. They ran them from there i believe. @ times ive ridden with people involved in that operation and they had said there were land access problems and more recently they were denied the ability to land/pickup where they were... He said they still do some commando runs, but im sure the clientel is pretty special for those trips.

Also remember, there is still 4000vertical of climbing from where they drop you off. (accodring to the chair guy). He said his job was guide/mechanic/baby sitter. It sounded like alot of people get in over their heads......

the hellicopter Co was called "black tusk" or something. maybe Google will find you some info.... or ask on NSMB.... theres more local Knowledge there.

Good luck.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
adrenalinerush said:
Hey,

I rember awhile back I read somewhere, dont no if it was on NSMB or what, that there was some place that offered a helicopter to the top of some MT. Like in FreeWheel Buring. A group of my friends r going to be up in Whistler, and are interested in. So does anybody have any info on this, or if it even exists?
It was Squamish ("Disneyland") that you've seen in videos - I think there is a "Whistler Heli-skiing" or something like that - but access issues may prevent you from being able to ride there now - I did a heli-drop last summer with Freeridetours.com - out of Lillowette (sp?) - which is I think 3 hours or so from Whistler (you'd need a decent sized group in order to not have it cost a fortune though) - it was incredible, although the helicopter ride was almost the coolest part (a fun trail - but we rode better trails that you could drive to the top (in places like Kaslow, Nelson etc.) - so it may be an unnecessary cost (but if $ doesn't matter - GO FOR IT!)

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Not poking fun at your spelling, just making it easier for people to search---it's Lillooet and Kaslo. There are many truck shuttles in BC that will give you all the vert without the expense so keep that in mind. Disneyland was originally built by trials motorcyclists, they weren't happy with the amount of wear and tear occuring and have closed it to mtbs.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i did the disneyland (squamish) heli drop a few years ago. it was a pretty epic ride - we werent anticipating the amout of climbing involved. there were some gnar steep lines & cool scenery, but it didnt quite measure up to expectations. i did the rainbow heli drop (just out of whistler) last year - that was a much cooler ride; beautiful alpine scenery, cool flowy singletrack & no climbing. its worth the coin if you get a chance.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Ruprick said:
Not poking fun at your spelling, just making it easier for people to search---it's Lillooet and Kaslo. There are many truck shuttles in BC that will give you all the vert without the expense so keep that in mind. Disneyland was originally built by trials motorcyclists, they weren't happy with the amount of wear and tear occuring and have closed it to mtbs.
yeah, you folks in the Great White North spell stuff pretty funny - down here in Socal it's all Spanish names that are pretty easy to spell...

I hit some other areas I can't spell too...Penticton?

The heli-drop I did in Lillooet WAS pretty great mind you - a very cool flowy trail from the top of an alpine peak, through some great second-growth forest and back down 7,000 feet of vert to town...beautiful trail - not North Shore style - just beautiful riding