Quantcast

help! i need crooked auto shop advice!

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
i'll try to make it short. car broke down near a gas station, decided to get the work done there to avoid lot's of towing charges other stress (yes, i KNOW i should never get a car done at a gas station)

they told me right away it was a head gasket. i let them work on it. to no surprise, they called and said other things were wrong (replace coil set, chip). total bill is $1,100.

got it friday, my friend was suspect so he looked at it and said they did NOT replace head gasket. took it to a mechanic who said, "there's no fvcking way they replaced that head gasket"

raving mad.

called the guy this morning, calmly asked why he charged me for parts and labor on the gasket when he never replaced. told him a mechanic looked at it, was willing to sign affidavit. he kept saying he did replace it.

what should i do? the mechanic i took it to (old friend and honest EXPERIENCED guy) was stupified at what he saw under the hood. crappy parts i was totally overcharged for. he said he didn't know exactly what else they didn't do but definitely not a head.

1stly, would someone REALLY have the lack of morals to pull something like this?

2ndly, what step should i take now for taking to small claims, demanding my money back??

you guys are awesome for helping, thank you thank you!!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't know what you'd do in Canada, but here you could report them to the local Better Business Bureau or cause trouble for them with the local Chamber of Commerce. Small claims is the least annoying legal option, but still a pain in the a$$. Are there any consumer advocacy groups near you?

Was it a private "Joe's Gas" station or was it affiliated with a larger corporation? You might apply pressure there, as well.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Here in CA the thing to do would be to file a complaint with the bureau of Automotiv repair...shops have to be licensed and they investigate that kind of thing all the time...even do sting ops.....check the state listings maybe WA has the same thing. And document and photograph everything right away.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
llkoolkeg said:
I don't know what you'd do in Canada, but here you could report them to the local Better Business Bureau or cause trouble for them with the local Chamber of Commerce. Small claims is the least annoying legal option, but still a pain in the a$$. Are there any consumer advocacy groups near you?

Was it a private "Joe's Gas" station or was it affiliated with a larger corporation? You might apply pressure there, as well.
CHEVRON

yeah, i'm definitely all over better bus. bureau if i have to take it there

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
loco-gringo said:
Matches and gas stations go well together.
I'm with LG on this one - get a lawyer type to call them first and try to put the fear of Megan Black into them, then small claims (document EVERYTHING - if you choose to take this route, even a written record will greatly help your case) - and if that does not work, wait a couple of months with no contact and firebomb the f***ing place.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
T-Dog said:
Here in CA the thing to do would be to file a complaint with the bureau of Automotiv repair...shops have to be licensed and they investigate that kind of thing all the time...even do sting ops.....check the state listings maybe WA has the same thing. And document and photograph everything right away.
never heard of that, thanks for the tip! i'll find out about WA

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what station? I'll make sure I don't get gas from them. even though I'm guessing it's not really in seattle........:D

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
s1ngletrack said:
I'm with LG on this one - get a lawyer type to call them first and try to put the fear of Megan Black into them, then small claims (document EVERYTHING - if you choose to take this route, even a written record will greatly help your case) - and if that does not work, wait a couple of months with no contact and firebomb the f***ing place.
i'm going to need the mini and eff mes for pursuasion purposes.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
yeah I don't know many gas stations that will change a head gasket and some other parts and charge $1,100 that seems really low!!

Can you explain how the car acted when it broke down?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
i guess i'm also asking how else i should approach chevron. the guy is denying he lied. so do i work with him some more? call him again? i already said i would take it to a honda dealer or anyone else i had to to get this worked out and he said, "fine"

am i done dealing with the shop manager at this point?

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
you don't even have to talk to a lawyer to threaten them with one. just call up and say "i've been consulting with my lawyer and i'd really like to settle this out of court" - bluff them a little.
i am not sure how it works in Washington but in NC you don't even need a lawyer to file in small claims - just go see the magistrate.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Slugman said:
How did you pay... if it were by Credit card or check - have the payment stopped!!!
This is the key... Did you use a CC? (Please say you did).

Laws vary state by state, but in most cases, this is what is required from the shop

A signed written estimate (in most states the repair cannot exceed 10%) of the written estimate without your additional signature.

return (or offer) to return the replaced parts

If the shop doesnt have any of that you have a good chance of getting a refund. If you didnt use a CC you are going to have to fight for it (aka, go to small claims court or something). If you used a CC just go ahead and chargeback the charge. Get a statement from your mechanic friend and tell your CC company that you were under duress, since this shop had your car and was holding it hostage.

Good luck

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bigginsis said:
oh and will you guys give her some advice rather than trying to get in her panties???? just this once...help a girl out.
The answer to your question is NO.

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
I don't know what you'd do in Canada

Were you able to get WA on the geography test bro??? She's in Seattle.

I see an investigative report needing to be launched on Seattle service stations.

Stosh - you can get a head replaced at the gas station here. You can only get your gas pumped at 2 of them though. Not that I need my gas pumped. I hate lazy bastards that won't pump their own gas. You can walk to your car, you can pump your gas. :mumble:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bigginsis said:
oh and will you guys give her some advice rather than trying to get in her panties???? just this once...help a girl out.
I was TYPING... settle down

Can we see your panties too while we are at it? (sorry Biggins)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Megan Black said:
i guess i'm also asking how else i should approach chevron. the guy is denying he lied. so do i work with him some more? call him again? i already said i would take it to a honda dealer or anyone else i had to to get this worked out and he said, "fine"

am i done dealing with the shop manager at this point?
Find out who owns the station and talk to them, have that affidavit ready and submit a copy to the owner when you contact them.

If he is the owner, go straight to Chevron Corporate - have your case prepared. Show pictures, the affidavit, receipts; everything that you have.

Also - contact local media, they usually have investigative reports who'd LOVE to take on this type of scam (great for ratings).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Megan Black said:
i'm going to need the mini and eff mes for pursuasion purposes.....
It couldn't hurt. I am fairly adept with cars but had an ex-girlfriend who always got way better prices on auto parts AND labor than I could even with all my connections. Turns out she would wear a short business skirt to her appointments and let her ample endowment fall forth from her partially-unbuttoned blouse when reviewing with the mechanic what needed fixing under the hood. She got a complete motor rebuild of her Caprice's Jasper 350 for what you just paid on a phantom head gasket replacement. :eek:

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
stosh said:
yeah I don't know many gas stations that will change a head gasket and some other parts and charge $1,100 that seems really low!!

Can you explain how the car acted when it broke down?
that's the other funny thing. he gave me a "good neighbor" discount of $160 because of the fact that they had it in the shop so long. sounded fishy to me because mechanics are crooks, i chalked it up to a "feeling guilty, let's not TOTALLY screw her over" discount

was driving along, pressed on the gas, nothing happened. car was still running. pulled over, turned car off. tried to turn it back on, turned over but wouldn't start. when i was there and they looked at it, spark plugs were covered in oil.

my friend thinks that it was probably JUST the coil set, the mechanic said maybe the spark plug seals (in the shaft?) were blown. everyone says if it was the head, coolant would be mixed with oil and be a whitish color, spark plugs were covered in ONLY oil.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Laws vary state by state, but in most cases, this is what is required from the shop

A signed written estimate (in most states the repair cannot exceed 10%) of the written estimate without your additional signature.

If the shop doesnt have any of that you have a good chance of getting a refund. If you didnt use a CC you are going to have to fight for it (aka, go to small claims court or something). If you used a CC just go ahead and chargeback the charge. Get a statement from your mechanic friend and tell your CC company that you were under duress, since this shop had your car and was holding it hostage.

Good luck
excellent advice.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
There has got to be some sort of consumer advocacy group up there from whom you can get advice - call around, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

J

JRB

SpeedyObnox said:
hell yes slugman! great idea! hey megan, i will do anything for you, what do you need?

Put it in your pants holmes. Sheesh.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Most stations like that will not carry a part like that in stock. Tell them you want to see an invoice for said Head Gasket from where they ordered it. What kind of car??? explain what it did when it broke down. Did it over heat, and when you blow a head gasket it will 9 times out of 10 warp the head. Meaning that you have to have the head milled flat again. This alone will cost between 500-1000. If this was not done you will blow the head gasket agian. Ask them about THIS. One other thing what about the chip. If they a referring to the Computer CPU chip that is total BS. It's like saying your muffler bearings are bad.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
loco-gringo said:
Were you able to get WA on the geography test bro??? She's in Seattle.
Sorry, l-g. I guess I have not been stalking her as routinely as have my fellow monkeys. ;)

I thought she was from B.C. based on some impression I got in a previous post. I guess I rarely care enough to review the profile page...

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You guys are arguing semantics, you are not going to guilt this guy into admitting anything. If you paid with a CC you already have enough ammo to charge it back. If you didn't you probably need to start some kind of legal action.

1) Written estimate (signed by you)
2) Replaced parts

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
Sorry, l-g. I guess I have not been stalking her as routinely as have my fellow monkeys. ;)

I thought she was from B.C. based on some impression I got in a previous post. I guess I rarely care enough to review the profile page...

It's cool bro. The Whistler picks and the hard ons most have over them could have been confusing. I understand.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Good luck
yup, CC was used! okay, sounds good, i will do that...

J

JRB

Just remember how mean you were able to be in that PM the other day and apply the same attitude to the shop in question. Since you never answered the card thing, I would assume that you didn't use one. I also would tend to think you need to put that car in large body of water. It sure seems to be causing lots of trouble for you the last few weeks.

edit - my assumptions are always wrong. Dammit. :mumble: Still sink that mutha in the bay.