Quantcast

Help me understand dropper posts

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Is the cable under proper tension? I have two of the hilo's and don't feel like I have to push the bat excessively to get the saddle to move.

We have alot of short climbs with fun descents, lots of pumping and g out rollers in the trails. I use my droppers constantly and it allows me to really shred the trail without stopping and adjusting my seat. Its hard to tuck a bike with the seat up in my ass. I hate to say it but they changed the game for the fun they allow me to have without interruption.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
They just take practice. It took me a while, but I'm hooked now, for sure. Being able to fully attack a downhill section then apply full power up and over rises/short punchy sections with a full seat height makes for way faster riding.

I've got midget legs, so keeping the saddle high isn't really an option for anything steep/rough. At least on my Yeti...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I use my command post all the time on my Enduro.

I don't have a dropper on my carbon fatbike because I don't ride it hard enough to make it worth it. It's fun without it and there are some steep descents every once and a while, but I can manage by getting behind the saddle and it's not worth the weight penalty on the 23lb fatbike.

But again, on the enduro, absolutely necessary IMO.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That said - some people *really* aren't "dropper people" and it is just a useless piece of extra complexity. I know one guy who WANTS to like his dropper, but just doesn't. And he doesn't use it much.
so people are just to lazy to move their ass behind the seat....
I'm pretty sure that the only thing a dropper post accomplishes that good technique can't do, is separating dentists from their money.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ever since i was a kid....move your ass behind the seat.

save dropper post money for beer/weed/whiskey/coffee.
Being 8" higher because you can't really get your rear end to the tire really helps on the steep chutes.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've always wanted to run one, but all I ever hear is people bitching about the maintenance or having to send them in for warranty work. I have been intrigued with the Thomsons, but don't really want to drop the coin. I pretty much ride with my seat all the way up for climbing and slammed for descending. I hate full saddle height while descending and we have a few rolling rides around here where it would be nice. On large loop rides where it's a big ride up, then a break and a beer or whatnot and a ride down, doesn't seem like it would matter much.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My Gravity Dropper has been very reliable. Sure they don't look the coolest but it sure beats having to pedal out 10 miles with your seat slammed cause them fancy dancy hydraulics shit the fan.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Sandwich it took me a while to get used to it- mainly to timing while riding. Think of yourself as the noob that doesn't downshift until they've lost all momentum ON the hill climb... It will come!

I did last summer without one, and was reminded that it is pretty useful, especially after it became more of an unconscious thing.

That being said, I am looking forward to the day when the post will go down without having to ass bounce it to the low position. I think it would make them a lot more seamless to use.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Oh, lastly, maybe a post with less drop is a better option if fully slammed isn't that useful. Aren't some internally stop-able (reverb)?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i thought dropper posts were a gimmick. then i tried one. no looking back. considering one for my XC hardtail. it took me maybe 2 or 3 rides to get fully used to it. sandwich, in your case the fact that you're running it backwards to achieve some offset may actually be affecting the direction of the force vector from your butt that pushes the saddle down. try switching it around and see if that makes a difference.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My Gravity Dropper has been very reliable. Sure they don't look the coolest but it sure beats having to pedal out 10 miles with your seat slammed cause them fancy dancy hydraulics shit the fan.
I see what you did there.

That said....never understood the need myself, but might just be the terrain I ride. QR seat collar and a saddle on the small side has always been enough. Being 6' tall also makes it easier to get behind the saddle on steep shit.

Straight up XC shit -> saddle as far up my ass as I can get
Moar rougherer shit -> saddle about 1.5-2" lower to get behind easier, while still allowing close to full pedal stroke power

Edit - old skool. Photo credit to Adventurous

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
It's just that getting it from up in the air to dropped a suitable amount to still give steering input but also get out of the way is surprisingly challenging. I find myself going all the way down or not really enough to matter, but I think that's all in the taint training.
I'm surprised no one has chimed in on this. It can be a challenge to stop steering with your thighs but your riding will improve once you do. I'd tell you to make a point of riding with the seat all the way down to break yourself of the habit.

After that, using the middle range is awesome. I love being able to lower the seat a half an inch for technical climbs. Raising it back up gives you a change in body position that helps with fatigue when the trail allows. As for descending, I will often use a mid position for lower angle descents. It gives you a bit more range of motion but lets you be seated when there is no point in standing.

It's also nice that you can lower the seat for sitting on the saddle when stopped. My endurposing skills have gone through the roof since I got one.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Moar rougherer shit -> saddle about 1.5-2" lower to get behind easier, while still allowing close to full pedal stroke power
having ridden bmx bikes when i was younger i have always been comfortable with my seat being lower than most people find comfortable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
FWIW I've had 6 different hydraulic droppers over the years, dating back to the Joplin, and none have failed badly enough to force me to pedal out with the seat slammed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
FWIW I've had 6 different hydraulic droppers over the years, dating back to the Joplin, and none have failed badly enough to force me to pedal out with the seat slammed.
I have once. 1st Gen Reverb. Fortunately it failed at the top of the mountain and there was almost no pedaling required back to the car.

SRAM's "warranty" was to send me a brand new Gen 2...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm surprised no one has chimed in on this. It can be a challenge to stop steering with your thighs but your riding will improve once you do. I'd tell you to make a point of riding with the seat all the way down to break yourself of the habit.
as someone who rides downhill, i find the seat dropped position to be vary natural.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I see what you did there.

That said....never understood the need myself, but might just be the terrain I ride. QR seat collar and a saddle on the small side has always been enough. Being 6' tall also makes it easier to get behind the saddle on steep shit.

Edit - old skool. Photo credit to Adventurous

Holy shit look what the cat dragged in. That was back when you rode real bikes made out of real metal.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have once. 1st Gen Reverb. Fortunately it failed at the top of the mountain and there was almost no pedaling required back to the car.

SRAM's "warranty" was to send me a brand new Gen 2...
Qft, same thing happened to me. Gen 2 had been solid so far but I have that little collar with me all the time now.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
First seat dropper was the Breeze-Angell Hite-Rite in the '80s. You had to reach under the saddle to work it, and I once went down because I touched my front brake while I was in that position.

I have a Gravity Dropper and a Joplin. GD is simpler, but it's heavier and it only has two positions. The Joplin is lighter, but I don't have the remote switch for it, so I still have to reach down. Also the saddle clamp of the Joplin is nowhere near as industrial as the GD.

I'm headed for Interbike in a few weeks. I figure I can talk someone out of next year's model while I'm there.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You're doing it wrong. The entire point of the dropper post is to get the seat out of the way so you can lean the bike without the seat hitting your leg. If you are using your leg to help turn the bike, you're doing it wrong and you should work on your technique. I say that with respect and as a trained and experienced instructor.
Open up your inside knee to get it out of the way so you can lean the bike. You don't turn the bike with handlebars. You lean the bike and the gyroscopic effect of the wheels turns the bike.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm sure this has already been explained, but it's simple. If you want to go faster downhill or even just downhill, drop it a bit. If you want to go uphill, raise it up. That simple. Ride accordingly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm sure this has already been explained, but it's simple. If you want to go faster downhill or even just downhill, drop it a bit. If you want to go uphill, raise it up. That simple. Ride accordingly.
i still have the joplin i bought from you. still works.