Quantcast

Help - Moving to the PNW

snooka

Chimp
Apr 19, 2009
Looking for some help on where to move. Will likely need to be near a major metro area for work but not really a big city fan. Looking for good DH with some CC (to keep the lungs healthy), not interested in being a roadie. Thoughts on Seattle vs Portland? The surrounding towns/suburbs?

- Thanks

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Looking for some help on where to move. Will likely need to be near a major metro area for work but not really a big city fan. Looking for good DH with some CC (to keep the lungs healthy), not interested in being a roadie. Thoughts on Seattle vs Portland? The surrounding towns/suburbs?

- Thanks

Oregon and WA have plenty too offer; go where you can find work-both areas are awesome. Portland is way more bike friendly than Seattle; Oregon is pretty laid back in a lot of ways. Hood River seems like a great place to explore. But then again, there's killer trails in WA too. One thing for sure, WA is closer to CA:>).

JayBear

Monkey
Been in Portland a little over two years now. No complaints. People will tell you that its really hard to find a job, But I believe with a little effort, minimal hygiene and some brains its easy. Blackrock, Post, syncline, scappose, etc.. Lots of fun spots , all close enough for day trips..Oh Yea...BEER !!!!

As far as Portland being a " city" .. Once you get out of downtown, the rest of Portland is one big suburb. Really bike friendly..

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I grew up in Oregon, and now live in Washington. You can't go wrong, but I think if riding is the priority, Washington has better riding because of the variety of terrain. The further North you get, the more natural technical terrain you will find (not that it doesn't exist in Oregon, just harder to find).
I think it depends what kind of riding is most important- big bike, or trail bike. If I lived/rode only in Oregon, I don't think I'd even have a dh bike.
The other thing to consider is this: attitude. Oregon is much more laid back and friendly. Washington is less friendly (in my opinion), and I think a lot of that stems from the fact that a lot of the fun stuff to ride here isn't legal, and no one wants to lose it. However a lot of people are working very hard to change that- see duthie, summit ridge freeride park, galbraith and collonade.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

snooka

Chimp
Apr 19, 2009
Looks like leaning towards Washington, Jobs a big factor. Anyone live in the Seattle surroundings that have more of a natural wooded setting?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I just moved to Oregon and am loving it. If you are a cyclist this is one of the best places to be. As mentioned there are a bunch of great trails within an hour or so drive from Portland

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Looks like leaning towards Washington, Jobs a big factor. Anyone live in the Seattle surroundings that have more of a natural wooded setting?
Look north, south, or even east of Seattle. Bothell (where I live), Mill Creek, Mukilteo, Edmonds, Redmond, Bellevue, Burien, Renton (places to start). Wooded parks and other areas abound. Even if you go closer to the metro area, it's really not a stretch or time crunch to get some good outdoors time every day.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I live right in the city and I still ride almost everyday. Dirt at least x2/week.
The traffic sucks so bad here it's worth living really close to work. I'd rather drive 30-45 min to ride than do it as a commute.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I live right in the city and I still ride almost everyday. Dirt at least x2/week.
The traffic sucks so bad here it's worth living really close to work. I'd rather drive 30-45 min to ride than do it as a commute.
Haha, I'm the exact opposite, I'd way rather commute a long distance and be able to ride to the trails from my doorstep!

-KT

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
North Bend would be my reccomendation. Followed by anything else near I-90.

Good luck!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
What field to you work in? That might help narrow down the search as some communities have bigger specific industries than others.