Quantcast

Help with Avid on Stratos...

Trying to match up a set of Avid mechs to my Stratos SS6 fork. This is my first disc experience and my LBS doesn't know either,... figures. It appears I need some spacers of some sort because the caliper is missing being centered over the rotor by about the width of the locking nut on the hub, say maybe 1/16". Do you space from the hub or from the adapter and how might one go about doing so?

Thanks!

NJPhil

Chimp
Dec 3, 2001
New Jersey
Originally posted by ~Prowler~
So you can do it either way. Knowing my LBS, they don't have any chainring spacers either. I guess any close sized washers would do?
I would only space out the caliper from the fork, do not space out the disc form the hub. It could lead to an unfortunate accident :dead: .

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by ~Prowler~

How so? Not questioning your answer, just curious as to what would cause an accident.
Spacing out the disc would create extra leverage from the screws going into your hub and could cause either the screws or hub flange (most likely occurance) to crack.

NJPhil

Chimp
Dec 3, 2001
New Jersey
Originally posted by syadasti

Spacing out the disc would create extra leverage from the screws going into your hub and could cause either the screws or hub flange (most likely occurance) to crack.
Thanks, syadasti :D . I have never heard of this actually happening, but have been warned, on Ride:monkey:, by the mechanic at the LBS and Avid themselves. That was enough for me not to space out the disc ;) .

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by NJPhil

Thanks, syadasti :D . I have never heard of this actually happening, but have been warned, on Ride:monkey:, by the mechanic at the LBS and Avid themselves. That was enough for me not to space out the disc ;) .
Actually, you don't even have to have the hub spaced out to crack your flanges off. PeteNJ had that happen to him due to loose/missing screws on his AC ultralight wheelset - he said it makes nice popping noises before it breaks off.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
As long as the end of the bolt is flush with the end of the hole/nut/etc you should be good. I got some longer bolts when I put the brakes on my LR1.