Quantcast

Help With Single Speed!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You can buy a singlespeed hub and a freewheel, or you can get a cog and some spacers. It all comes down to how much you wanna spend and if you wanna be able to switch back and forth between geared and SS. Don't forget if you don't have horizontal dropouts you will probably need a chain tensioner.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by InsaneP2Rider
http://unrealcycles.com/items/gusset-onespeed.htm

i think that'll work
I got one of those for my On-One Gimp for like $19 at jensonusa. Seems to work great so far. The spacers are different sizes so you can change the chainline.

If this guy already has a cassette on a normal hub, can't he just get a derailleur and tighten the bolts that give it different range of motion to a certain sized cog on the cassette? Seems like the cheapest way to me...

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Originally posted by mtnbkr4235
If this guy already has a cassette on a normal hub, can't he just get a derailleur and tighten the bolts that give it different range of motion to a certain sized cog on the cassette? Seems like the cheapest way to me...
The problem I found with using the derailleur set screws to set up a single speed is that the set screws rarely ever stay tight for very long. Mine would always back themselves out very slowly, and so I'd have to readjust my singlespeed every few rides. Not that it's a huge deal, but that's one of the nice things about singlespeeding with a single cog in the back, no tensioner, and a BMX chain: I don't have to readjust it.....ever.