Quantcast

Hey all. Profile crank question.....

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
So I've been running these profile cranks for awhile and noticed that they are wobbly on the spindle. I tighten the nut down hard but it doesn't help. If I add another spacer it seems like it would make the problem worse? I was never really perfectly sure on setting these things up from the getgo as far as spacer and having it squeezing the bearing if not spaced right and so forth. The cranks spin fine but one arm definitely wobbles.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Something is messed up. Either your crank arm is oversized, or the bb is munched. I'd put my money on the crank being ovalized. Could you have installed the one crank arm so there wasn't at least 3/4" of spindle inside the arm? Remember, if you install one arm and crank the bolt down you will pull the sindle off center leaving you with not enough sindle on the other side.
The splines on a profile are straight so bolt tightness has nothing to d with how "tight" the cranks are. I rode a whole weekend with a bolt missing once and I never noticed. The chainguide kept the crank inline

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it was ovalized but the splines look ok on both the crank and the spindle. When I rock the arm back and forth the little conical washer that the bolt sits against is moving independently of the crank arm. It seems like there is enough spindle sticking out? Maybe one more spacer? I'll be right back. I'm going to pull the arm and give a better description to you guys.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Your crank arms sound flogged.

It has happened to me before, i was original owner and had them replaced for free under profiles lifetime warrenty.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Huh? Maybe I can work that angle. I tried to take off the damn nut but iy is frozen in there. I bloodeied my knuckles and snapped one of my allens and twisted the other one trying to break it free. Stuck on there.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
largextracheese said:
Huh? Maybe I can work that angle. I tried to take off the damn nut but iy is frozen in there. I bloodeied my knuckles and snapped one of my allens and twisted the other one trying to break it free. Stuck on there.
So are you saying they won't come off? If so, how did you check the splines and confirm they are ok? Your confusing me.

The other problem is may be is if the spindle is too long. I set some up on my mates demo 9 and the spindle was a fraction too big and the arms wobbled a bit, put in some more spacers and fixxed the problem.

So, 4 options as i see it.

1. Arms are flogged
2. Spindle is too long, space the arms out more
3. Spindle is too short, not enough area for cranks to grip. Need longer spindle
4. Splines on spindle are buggered.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
This has been an ongoing problem and I took the wobbly side off last week to quickly try to figure the problem but to no avail. Upon putting it back on I used another bolt (exactly the same) to put it back on thinking mabe it was the bolt bottoming out or something. Nope, and now the dang bolt is frozen on there. I'll try some more to get it off,

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
if the warrenty thing dont work for you... ebay,or danscomp.com has them all day long. $50 per arm. or you can slap some jb weld in it to get by on,but that'll last about a week

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
please do not use JB weld on anything for your bike
call profile they are pretty good with this