Quantcast

Hey Campers

dosgearos

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Thermarest for sure. I usually give my wife the thick, long, one when car camping. She loves it.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
foam won't do you much good, I would go with a self inflating, thermarest are good but most off brands are decent enough since you don't have to worry about weight

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I use one of these. It packs up small and works great all night. Also helps keep you warmer believe it or not.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Foam and self inflating pads are fine if you sleep on your back. I recently picked up a pool-toy style inflatable pad and it's made all the difference in the world as far as backcountry comfort is concerned. The best part is the weight is comparable to Thermarest and the like.

If you're car camping though, get a cheap air mattress from WalMart/Sears/Target and a 12V pump. Ultimate comfort.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
foam won't do you much good, I would go with a self inflating, thermarest are good but most off brands are decent enough since you don't have to worry about weight
Agreed. Foam is not that great. For car camping, I have two self-inflating pads. Both are fairly cheap, old and not a major brand as far as I know. They work fine; not much difference between them. I sometimes put a foam pad (Z-rest) under it for extra cushion. For backpacking, I use a 3/4 length thermarest. It is really light and small, but not something I'd use if other options are available.

Zagreus

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
S. California
One more vote for thermarest here-- had one running strong for 6 years now, taken me through long months on rock, ice, sand, dirt, roots, and in cars. Self-inflating (mostly) and superlight.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
also a vote for thermarest, or something similar. very comfy, and if you sleep on the ground all that air inside really warms up and makes a great barrier between you and the dirt.
if money's not an issue, they make lots of mattresses for inside cars and trucks. I'm looking into one for my ranger bed that fits me and the old lady.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005