Quantcast

Hey last year while racing DH I decided to start my own Business.

RacinJason

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Anaheim
I was rushing to get things together and people where hitting me up to wotrk on things the night before the races.

I have been a race Mech for a long time so I decided to offer my services to other people who just want quality service.:lighten:

So I started =======> The Bike Doctor.
I finally got my site up and running. WWW.OCBIKEDOCTOR.COM

Take a look and tell me what you think.
The ask the Dr link goes to my e mail.

I will be adding a lot of things to the site over the next 2 weeks.

Soft goods and performance products and new product non bias reviews.

I would be happy to help put you on the podium. :monkeydance:

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Cool. Good luck. If you plan on being at the open I'll use ya for a tune or 2. Yea, I'm lazy..........

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Looks really good! The flat rates for brake bleeds and fork overhauls are awesome.

In general, everything on the site is well thought out, but there are a few things you might do well to change. Is there really a need for a link to some photos? Or to testimonials? Do you plan to constantly update the calender?

Prices, contact, and an about page are all you really need. I'm still kinda confused- do you have a shop, or are you a traveling mechanic? What teams did you wrench for?

Just a few notes from a fan of simple websites and clear communication.

Good luck!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Congrats. Owning a business is both a blessing and a curse at the same time.
I opened a bike shop of my own last April after working as a mechanic for another shop for the last 5 years and haven't regretted it one bit. There are some times were it gets frustrating(tax time, finances, fiesty customers) but doing what you love makes it all worth it.

-Kevin

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
For the most part the prices look fair, but two things that jumped out was $50 for a star nut installation, which IMO should take no more than ~20 minutes, and $10 to 'install' a front wheel. Just food for thought, not trying to bag on you.

I like the professional and simple site. Most bike industry sites are absolutely hideous, so nice job with the layout, it's nice to see something like this.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
im my opinion i think you need to redo your labor rates. I think you are selling some of your services short and you are overselling some less labor intensive jobs. I do run a top 100 bike shop for 5 yrs (by no means does this make me an expert just letting you know that i have experience with what you are trying to do) and there are spots we do the same as for under selling some of our labor. labor is one of the most profitable yet the biggest loss leader in a lot of bike shops. one thing you might consider is researching your local competition and see what they might be charging for the same things and adjust as you deem fair and appropriate to what others are charging. i will say this $40 for a wheel build is a deal. what kind of warranty if any do you offer with that? feel free to pm if you have any questions if you like. i would be more then happy to talk shop.