Quantcast

Hey vegetarians, I need some advice

zibbler

Monkey
I'm getting to the point where I'm not tolerating meats too well. I'm mostly eating seafood because it's easier on the digestion. I'd like to adopt a semi-vegetarian diet.

Sooooo, my question is, how do you get adequate protein on a vegetarian diet? STOP! Do not say soy as I cannot tolerate it at all. It makes me quite sick. The though of eating beans and rice on a regular basis sounds rather drab and boring too.

I don't plan on giving up meat entirely.... just cutting back on it to give my digestive system a much needed break. I'm a real picky eater and I have lots of food allergies. I'm allergic/intolerant to most grains except rice and oats (wheat is the worst for me), sugar, milk (lactose), peanuts, strawberrys, soy, tomatoes, mangos, avacados and a few other things. What's left? I can eat most vegetables. The only veges I don't like are beets and ocra for the most part. Any suggestions? :confused:

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
intravenus liquid.

DAMN - between what you are allergic to and what you don't like - there's nothing left!

lots of people rave about tofu and what you can do with it - although I've never had it.

how about boca burgers? you know, like meat but made with grass and seeds and stuff.
Well, tofu is soy, so that won't work. I've tried it before, and believe me, you're not missing anything. It's like eating a flavored sponge. :blah:

Same with Boca Burgers. They taste good, but are made with soy. (seems they put soy in everything these days :angry: ).

I like almost all vegetables, but still need to get some protein. I had some lentil soup and an apple for lunch, and will have fish and some veggies for dinner.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you want big, hairy calves yer gonna have to eat some meat. That's all there is too it. :monkey:

Seriously though - you do not need as much meat protein as you would think. Think beans, brown rice and corn... you'll be fine. :)

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I second the protien shakes. Egg and Whey protien is good. One or two shakes a day should be fine. You can have them with milk so it doesn't taste too bad.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Why can you not tolerate soy? The taste, or an allergy to it? If it is just taste you can buy the soft version and put some of it in a blender with some sort of a smoothy. Supplaments are good, but you should try to get protein, vitamins and minerals from natural sources whenever possible. It is better for you.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
yeah, unless you're allergic to soy, i wouldn't give up on it. there are tons of great ways to prepare tofu, try www.vegsource.com.

alternately, go with wheat gluten, or seitan for a good substantial source of protein, vegsource will have some good recepies for this as well. for premade/preseasoned seitan, try White Wave.

ben.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Captain Cogset
Why can you not tolerate soy? The taste, or an allergy to it?
I'm allergic to wheat and soy, so tofu and seitan are out of the question. Wheat causes my joints to ache and I run a low grade fever. Soy will give me severe cramping and diarhea. :dead:

Like I mentioned, I'm not completely giving up meat, just cutting way back. I love seafood, so I can get a good amount of protein from that I guess.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Peanut Butter has quite a bit of protein, and who doesn't love PB&J?!?

EDIT - It is like 8g of protein per 2 tblsp.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i say, dont quit eating fish. you have too many food allergies and dislikes to make being full blown veggie enjoyable. if you eat fish regularly and eat eggs as well as eating protien bars and shakes every now and then you will perfectly fine. when i stopped eating meat and fish i got super paranoid about the protien problem but if you keep up with it for a few weeks you will realize that you are probably already getting what you need.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
well i have been a veggie by default for a while now.protein is something that you dont need to worry about, because with a variety of foods you will get enough.honestly though, you are allergic to everything!what are the symptoms of these allergies?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by laura
i say, dont quit eating fish. you have too many food allergies and dislikes to make being full blown veggie enjoyable. if you eat fish regularly and eat eggs as well as eating protien bars and shakes every now and then you will perfectly fine. when i stopped eating meat and fish i got super paranoid about the protien problem but if you keep up with it for a few weeks you will realize that you are probably already getting what you need.
I agree with Laura...here are some links to sites that may be of interest of you.....D

www.vegweb.com
www.rawfoods.com
www.care2.com/channels/ecoinfo/vegetarian

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by BMXman
I agree with Laura...here are some links to sites that may be of interest of you.....D
I agree w/Bmxman's agreement.:D I just can't believe that no one's brought up eggs. What an awesome source for protein. Especially if you don't like tofu & want to stay away from meat.

In addition, I would like to speak up for tofu. I love it! Just needs to be prepared quickly. Like any other food, how you prepare it has a lot to do with you liking it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
tofu is good but i am more fond of tvp and wheat glute. i have recipes for fake meat spagetti, tacos, (not)chick'n dumplings, (not) beef stroganof. anything that can be made with meat, i can make with tvp or wheat glute. un fortunately, alergies to soy and wheat keep these two amazing products out of ziblers life. its an adventure to see if i can make my food taste better than the version with meat in it. i have been successful everytime but once. i even have my mom and dad eating wheat glute and tvp and they love it.