Quantcast

Hi Tec Race, Chapter 4

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Chapter 4

When we last left Step Smack, they were in the transition area, between the first Mountain Bike leg and the Trail run.

After donning our running shoes, we are off on a 5.5 trail run. Running is boring, so I do not believe that this will be as exciting as precious chapters. I have been dreading this moment for weeks. I have been running for about a year and have learned a few things. The first, according to my Orthopedist, is that I not only have Achilles tendonitis, but that I also suffer from a smaller than average Achilles tendon. The second is that if I do not stretch my left calf, the tendonitis will practically lock my ankle. The third is that some days you are on and some days you are not. I am hoping for an on day.

Since I am sufficiently warmed up, I forego a proper pre-run stretch. Mistake number one. It does not take long to see the error of my ways. At approximately ¼ mile I can feel my left calf and the hamstrings that were all bunched up from the kayaking, so I request a quick stretch break from the rest of Step Smack & we stop at the next shady spot. I get a little bit of stretching done, and we are off, again. Kyle & Jim are looking strong. This is a bit surprising for Kyle, he does not like to run, understandable for a Clydesdale. There is a lot of stress on the hips, knees & ankles of a 6+ foot, 200 pound running body. Jim’s strength is no surprise, he is very much like the Energizer Bunny.

A little farther down the trail, I am following along, just behind the team. We are about 1 mile into it, and I still need to stretch, so I do. However, I fail to inform 242 that I am stopping. Mistake number two. They rightfully assume that I am still tagging along and continue their run. I’ll catch up, I know my style, miles 0-2 are always a little rough after that I usually find my stride. For the rest of the run, I never see them again. I am told that about mile two, Kyle & Jim look back across a levee, to find me, but I am not in sight. The yell, “242”, no response. Let me again state that this was my error, I did not communicate my needs to my team mates. While I am stretching, I get a good lesson in Comradery(sp). Almost everyone who passes me, asks if I am o.k., do I need anything, want some Help, etc.. “I am fine, just stretching, thanks”. I am a pansy ass, skirt wearing, laughed at by Glittergirls wuss.

Time to get on with it. I finally fall into a comfortable pace and nibble up a couple of miles. I am just kind of keeping my own pace, which is really about all that can be expected. I follow a co-ed team #72 for a while. I actually get to recite a few lines from the mountain bike leg, “on your left”.
Wow, I passed somebody. Now I have been passed quite a few times, and I am taking notes. I see team #’s. I will get you. At one point I get passed by co-ed team #101, well at least the female member of that team. I did not notice the rest of her team. It was nice following her and I kept pace for awhile, and then gave it up.

I swap places with a few teams, back and forth. Every time I come into view of the lake, I scan for a glimpse of the transition area. It always seems to be more than half way around the lake. The run takes us through some of the parks campgrounds. We pass lots of people just crawling out of tents & rv’s. They do not look like adventure race enthusiasts. They must think we are nuts. How right they are. One section of campground had a small village of fiberglass teepees, and a couple of large community buildings. A miniature golf course, basketball courts, paddle boat & canoe rentals. These are the things you notice along the way.

At last, I remember this section of trail. This is where our last letter was during the kayak/orienteering leg. I am almost home. ½ mile later, and I break through the woods into the staging area. Kyle and Jim are standing on the outskirts waiting for me. They have probably been waiting longer than they let on, I believe they said 5 minutes, I would believe ten. I also believe someone said the crowd let out an “Aww” when I came out of the woods, and they commended Kyle & Jim for waiting there for me. The truth is the course marshals would not let them through without me, because…….Dunt da da dunt dunt dunnnnh (royal horn sounds here)…..

Special Test Time

All special tests are to be attempted by complete teams only.

Step Smack has been aware of this special test since the kayaking, It had been covered with a large tarp until then. As we were paddling across the lake, we could see the race staff spreading Crisco(Lard, Shortening, rendered fat whipped with air) all over a 10-12 foot wall tilted at a 30-45 degree angle.

We are handed a rule sheet, teams must not begin an attempt from behind a certain line as marked on the ground. This is to prevent running dive & slide techniques. I don’t know if that would work here anyway. The wall is on a hill that is muddy from previous contestants, sweat, blood, and generally greasy from Crisco run-off.

Attempt #1
Kyle lies down on the wall. I try and brace his feet while Jim climbs up Kyle. Something slips. Jim & Kyle slide down the wall and I slide down the hill.

Attempt #2
I am taking credit for this idea as a redemptory action for my poor running. I lie down on the wall. Jim & Kyle each grab one of my feet & slide me up to the top of the wall. It worked perfectly. I am now hanging from the top of the Crisco wall, Elbows locked over the lip. I feel Jims hand on my ankle, then my hip, next a shoulder and BAM. He is hanging right next to me in seconds. Kyle then climbs up one or both of us, I don’t really know. We all flip over the backside and we are done with the Crisco Wall.

A quick sprint to the next special test. The Electric Fence.

This is a wall about 3 feet high with a simulated electrified wire strung about 2 inches above the wall. The rules are simple. Get all team mates over the wall without touching the “wire” or the wall. If contact occurs, regardless of who makes contact, the person attempting to cross, must start over. Simple.

Kyle, who takes the brunt of lifting and supporting, god bless the big guy, gets on all fours. Jim stands on his back. Jim and I grasp hands for support. A quick hop, and Jim is over. I get on Kyles back, hold Jim’s hands, Jump and land clean. We hesitate for a second on Kyle, then Jim in a well timed fit of clear thought, runs around the wall and assumes the doggy position. 200 pounds of Kyle meat, stands on his back. I provide some bracing for Kyle’s hands, and he is over. 242 comes through clean. I offer some bracing to another team, so they can get started, and we are almost done.

A quick sprint up the hill and we are in the transition area. You all know how this goes by now.
Cytomax, power gels and shoe change number three, back into riding shoes.

Stay Tuned for Chapter 5

Here is a little side note regarding the Electric fence. I was informed that some of the Coed Elite teams used an interesting method to get all teammates over the wall. The female member would get on all fours, (easy dog tag) and the two male members would cross first and second as previously described. The female member would then turn her back to the wall. One or both of the other teammates would grab her under the arms and in one swift motion, she would jump, they would lift, and she would perform a back somersault over the wall. Pretty trick.