Quantcast

Hightower and Tackleberry?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I feel like this conversation happens with every new SC bike release. I have had several of their bikes and really like SC but they very seldom push the boundaries of geometry--in fact I think they border on being late adapters which I see as one of their few significant faults. I understand their position though. There is no reason for them to push the geometry envelope when their market is the amalgamation of customers that we lovingly lump together and call "dentists." These folks buy their bikes because they are well made, bad ass, light, stiff, beautiful, carbon bikes that just work well.

I just realized that SC is basically the Lexus of bikes.
Do u really think? The nomad was pretty pushy,

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I am going to play devils advocate here but do you think some of these bikes are pushing it a bit too far for your average mtb rider? Low and slack is in vouge right now, and the following is probably one of my favorite bikes, but not everyone will benefit from that. Some may actually suffer from a slack HA. The rider this is aimed at is probably more of a straight ahead 'mountain biker' instead of a rad berm slasher.
Isn't that what The Tallboy is for? I guarantee that Kiran would benefit from a long, low slack 29" bike.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
long low slack...
a.) sc bikes tend not to be long
b.) low and slack: unless you're riding groomed-out bike park bermy crap 24-7...diminishing returns

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Do u really think? The nomad was pretty pushy,
I do think. The nomad is a shred sled and I would ride one, but it is pretty middle of the road HA and BB for an enduro bike and it's reach numbers were short when they came out and look out of place compared to nearly everything in that segment now. Like I said, not knocking it--just saying compared to Banshee or Guerrilla Gravity or Evil, etc, etc. SC is using geometry that is very "safe."

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
:twitch:

If there is one thing they don't do well it's corner.
I'm not the typical b+ rider. I actually run the tires with enough pressure that they don't squirm when you push them hard, and I'm using 50mm rims for additional sidewall support. You definitely have to ride it differently than a normal 27.5 bike, but I'm used to having to muscle the bike around because I'm used to having 4" tires on it.
I don't know what + bike you rode, but for me the mutz is about as close to perfection as it gets.
For the record I really want to hate all these new trends, but I keep getting suckered into trying them. I've swapped more bikes than I would care to admit in the last year looking for the Holy grail.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Are you sure? It got a color update over the summer and is still on the website. If it did disappear I'd expect that's just because they're updating it. To ditch it would be to leave the cross country arena. I'm surprised enough that they haven't replaced the Blur XC with a 650b.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I would totally rock the Hightower down Dirt Merchant. I'm thinking on any gnarly trail, a bike like this in + mode would be fun. Not fun in a challenging kind of way, because the huge tires are gonna dumb down the trail feel. But fun as in instant confidence to smash it and try things you've never done. Riding this bike or any other b+/29 conversion on a buffed singletrack, especially if it was a deep rut, would be the opposite of awesome. But I think one of the reviews attached to the SC press release mentioned that.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall, dirt merchant is a smooth highway it's the last place in the world you would want this bike! I think some people are totally mislead by the purpose of these bikes, they arent some sick DH machine, they turn slower and dont have the support that a minion or something similar in a 2 ply casing has...I still think the bike rocks, mine would be in the 29'er flavor.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are you sure? It got a color update over the summer and is still on the website. If it did disappear I'd expect that's just because they're updating it. To ditch it would be to leave the cross country arena. I'm surprised enough that they haven't replaced the Blur XC with a 650b.
about 99.9%

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall, dirt merchant is a smooth highway it's the last place in the world you would want this bike! I think some people are totally mislead by the purpose of these bikes, they arent some sick DH machine, they turn slower and dont have the support that a minion or something similar in a 2 ply casing has...I still think the bike rocks, mine would be in the 29'er flavor.
Oh my bad. I was thinking of Goats or In Deep. Sorry, been a while since riding teh whiz.

Just for the record, I'm talking about a 2.8" tire. Not something 3" or wider. Most bros I know are running the Schwable NN in 2.8" and dig it. Hoping that maxxis rekon has a strong sidewall. As baloony as they are, they gotta, right? (I won't hold my breath).

But I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the ability of these bikes in the gnar. And I'll pay close attention to their cornering ability. Once the snow melts around here I'll let you know. :cool: :thumb:

Last edited: