Quantcast

Hit but not owned by a car last night

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
I was commuting home last night from work on my road bike with my tail light blinking and a blaze orange illuminite jersey on. I was crusing at about 25 miles per hour entering an intersection that i had a green light on when out of nowhere a ford explorer pulled along side me and turned as if i wasnt there. I bunny hopped the curb after i bounced off of his rear door (not too hard) and he cut the wheel hard left to not completely kill me. in doing so he slammed into a pole in the median with a no uturn sign on it. the passenger rolled down her window and asked if i was alright. i was, just a bit of adrenaline going... i rode up to her and looked at the guy inside and told him that a 3000 lb car will beat a 20 lb bike any day, and that he is lucky he didnt kill me. i wasnt hurt in any way and neither was my bike, so i decided to tell him to get the hell out of here and to always yield to bikes. i probably should have gotten his tag number and sued him for something... (because thats the american way) but i didnt want to be "that guy." His truck was pretty banged up from hitting the pole, so i took that as restitution for hitting me. The guy in the turning lane looked at me and said "good thing you know how to ride that bike... thats the coolest Fvcking thing ive seen all day!!" I finished my ride home and proceeded to cook dinner for my girlfriend who couldnt miss prision break... shish all i wanted was some TLC...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice riding and glad you were not hurt but you really should have been twirling a flaming baton for better visibility.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That was you? You cost $300 bucks damage to my car! If I ever find.....

jk. Glad to hear you're okay. Sometimes that mtb skill can really be applied in places you wouldn't normally need it. I'm sure the damage the guy has to fix will make him a little more cautious around bikes in the future. (We can hope can't we?)

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
That was you? You cost $300 bucks damage to my car! If I ever find.....

jk. Glad to hear you're okay. Sometimes that mtb skill can really be applied in places you wouldn't normally need it. I'm sure the damage the guy has to fix will make him a little more cautious around bikes in the future. (We can hope can't we?)
Yeah no joke... i wish there was a way to make more people stop driving like retards near bikers... maybe have them stand next to an interstate on the white line with their backs to cars moving 50-80 mph... that might show them what they are missing in the SUV's they use to conquer the concrete jungle...:disgust:

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
You showed remarkable reserve. A lot of us would have been screaming curses at him.
I was saying them internally... it wouldnt have done anything to help the situation... i did want to walk up to the guy and smack him with my pump... i should have jumped on his hood with my cleats and did this dance...:monkeydance:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good job having the skills to not get killed. I've also had to take evasive manuevers on skinny tires, always exciting.

Your girl, meanwhile, sounds like she needs sensitivity training.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Yikes, that's scary! Glad you didn't get hurt. I wonder what he was thinking by turning in front of you like that? People scare me......

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I was cruising along once on the right side of traffic in broad daylight. There were cars parked on the side of the road (to my right) so I was in between parked cars and traffic. As I passed an open space where there were no cars parked out of nowhere a van veers right to park in the open spot; but oops! I'm right there!

The guy hits me a runs me up to the curb where I effectively endo'd and made a taco of my rim. Luckily I wasn't actually hurt. I was pissed. The guy paid for the rim but that's about it.

Drivers just don't look! Glad to hear you're ok. Wish I had your skills in my experience I could have avoided damaging my bike.