Quantcast

holy crap, Rx glasses = $$$$$$$$

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
got my eyes checked today, and discovered i need glasses. i started checking out some frames, and about **** myself. the first pair i pick up, a nice, rimless, quite minimal frame.....$250. tack on another $100+ for the lenses...:mumble:...i had counted out Oakley frames, assuming they were too expensive, but damn, i didn't know all frames were that pricey.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i get my rx done in southamerica. you might try that.

am almost blind, so i get custom made high-refrac thin-lenses (otherwise my lenses are like half an inch thick), photosensitive (lenses turn very dark like shades in the sunlight), and anti-reflex so i dont get annoying ray of lights.

they go for around 400-500 bucks in the US. i pay 50 bucks.

for frames, the only expensive one i got are oakley, for biking, rollerblading.
all others i paid less than 20 bucks.

for for 250 bucks, i get 5 sets of glasses, one for every ocassion in every combo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the better question is how much is your copay on your insurance for glasses/lenses?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Transcend said:
I love my oakley stuff, see if you can get a discount through your insurance maybe?
i PM'ed you a few days ago about some sponsorship stuff......

see, like, when i went in today, the lady asked for my insurance card, then asked if they covered glasses. i said i didn't know. my mom does all that insurance stuff, i just pay the co-pays. so anyway, mom said that insurance wouldn't cover glasses/omptometry stuff, but when i was done and went to pay, i only had to pay the co-pay. so i'm not sure if the dr's office just assumed the insurance covered it, or it was covered. i'll have to check into that...

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
mine were 400 bones.
but i got the fancy transition lenses....but with no insure i paid it all out of pocket.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:
i PM'ed you a few days ago about some sponsorship stuff......

see, like, when i went in today, the lady asked for my insurance card, then asked if they covered glasses. i said i didn't know. my mom does all that insurance stuff, i just pay the co-pays. so anyway, mom said that insurance wouldn't cover glasses/omptometry stuff, but when i was done and went to pay, i only had to pay the co-pay. so i'm not sure if the dr's office just assumed the insurance covered it, or it was covered. i'll have to check into that...
My insurance only covers $75 worth of glasses a year + 2 eye exams. Luckily i got my glasses cheap, as i won't accept anything but oakley lenses and otherwise i'd be broke. They really are superior.

I'll check my PMs now and get back to ya

billybobzia

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
Denver
shop around - i got a pair of oakleys with prescription lenses for $140...a local guy was offering free lenses when you purchases the frames, just had to pay for the tint ($30)...don't go to big chain stores they wont do it

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
billybobzia said:
shop around - i got a pair of oakleys with prescription lenses for $140...a local guy was offering free lenses when you purchases the frames, just had to pay for the tint ($30)...don't go to big chain stores they wont do it

There is a big difference between optometrist lenses, and oakley lenses. You did not get oakley lenses for $140. The lenses alone cost more then this.

They buy STOCK lenses from oakley, and then grind them to what you need. This is especially true for iridium.

They do not do clear oakley RX lenses, you have to get these direct from oakley. You can tell as oakley lenses have a laser etched O in the bottom of the left lens

J

JRB

I don't know about Oakley lenses, but I have transitions. I also have some flexon frames. They were $325 18 months ago, but they replaced the frames when I broke the bridge with a foam pool noodle. :(

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my insurance covers me at certain places & it still runs me about $160 @ those places.
but i got some rudy projects with my rx lens in them for about $235 from some place on the web.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ALEXIS_DH said:
so, what about the surgery??

if you have never used glasses before, might be a good alternative to go for the laser.
It ruins your night vision as it cannot lase enough area on the back of the retina to accept enough light at night.

Also not everyone (like myself) can be helped by laser unfortunately. Also,it costs a bloody fortune and is almost never covered by insurance.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
What about contacts? Then you can buy regular Oakley's.

I used to wear glasses, but I switched to contacts back in February. It was a little tough initially to learn how to put the lenses in, but now I wished I had done it sooner.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
berkshire_rider said:
What about contacts? Then you can buy regular Oakley's.

I used to wear glasses, but I switched to contacts back in February. It was a little tough initially to learn how to put the lenses in, but now I wished I had done it sooner.

Same deal, not all prescriptions can be done with contacts (such as mine). I cannot get them in either, but they cannot make a contact that will correct my particular vision, this may be the original posters issue as well.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My gf has 2 pairs of perscription Oakley's and loves them. They weren't crazy expensive either. I got them for her direct from a rep, but I think that they would average out to ~$250 ea retail. 1 pair has clear lenses, the other gold iridium. I was told that getting polarized lenses is a bad idea b/c it makes the lense thicker. Even the clear lenses are 100% UV protective (all Oakley lenses are). Don't know if the generic lenses do UV.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Repack said:
My gf has 2 pairs of perscription Oakley's and loves them. They weren't crazy expensive either. I got them for her direct from a rep, but I think that they would average out to ~$250 ea retail. 1 pair has clear lenses, the other gold iridium. I was told that getting polarized lenses is a bad idea b/c it makes the lense thicker. Even the clear lenses are 100% UV protective (all Oakley lenses are). Don't know if the generic lenses do UV.

The Oakley ones do, the generic ones do not. $250us each sounds about right for most models. Some of the models get out of control price wise (magnesium wires usually, Juliets, Romeos etc)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i looked at the prices of some of the frames last night, and the most expensive one from the "i like these" category were $270 (it was rimless, nonetheless...i don't really understand why rimless are more expensive...). others were $240 and less.

i know polarizing makes lenses thicker, but are they that much thicker? i saw that Half-Jackets offer prescription lenses. that's rather cool.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:
i looked at the prices of some of the frames last night, and the most expensive one from the "i like these" category were $270 (it was rimless, nonetheless...i don't really understand why rimless are more expensive...). others were $240 and less.

i know polarizing makes lenses thicker, but are they that much thicker? i saw that Half-Jackets offer prescription lenses. that's rather cool.
You can get Rx lenses in any oakleys actually if you go direct through oakley's stores or online. They will do everything with oakley lenses, which impress even optometrists. :D

Currently I have RX race jackets, unknown sunglasses, wiretaps, E wire 2.1 and and going to get a pair of the new titanium rimless ones in a few weeks.

I love my oakleys, and you will to. :thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
damn, you're going all out.

i had my Racing Jackets with me when i got my eyes checked and the doc said "you're gonna need to get rid of these." that made me sad.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:

i had my Racing Jackets with me when i got my eyes checked and the doc said "you're gonna need to get rid of these." that made me sad.
Dude, keep the frames, and send them into oakley. You will pay like $120 and can get nice new oakley lenses!

I wasn't a fan until I got my first pair of RX oakleys when i needed glasses. This was after having some RX Smiths from an older sponsorship. Let's just say the Oakleys blew me away, and I have not looked back since. I now own a ton of oakley stuff, as well as oakley stock. :) I have a pair of assault boots on the way for the winter months as well. I am now an oakley NUT.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
are RX lenses the same thickness as iridium lenses, though?

Oakley stock? never even thought about that...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:
are RX lenses the same thickness as iridium lenses, though?

Oakley stock? never even thought about that...

What is your RX? I have a chart here that lists what RX can go into what frames. Iridium lenses are the same thickness as any other lenses, the coating is like 2 microns thick, what is important is the edge thickness and spehere of your particular RX.

Race jackets are pretty liberal in the types of RX they can accept. As are most of the wire series (all the way to -7.0)

For oakley stock, see symbol OO. They were $16 in may, about $12.50 right now. A few years ago they surged and made many millionnaires (see brian lopes). They are once again on their way back up with a steady 4 months riise. They are yielding about 1.5%

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
RX = (OD, OS)

Sphere: +.25, +.25
Cyl: -1.75, -1.50
Axis: 003, 175

not that i have any clue what that means.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the Inbred said:

Are you not able to wear contacts? Although they're a bit annoying, I'll admit, they're 4000x better than glasses. I've been wearing contacts for 20+ years.

-S.S.-

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, i went in today to look at frames. decided on the Tangent. asked the lady how much the lenses would be, and she said "$110, or so." then i asked if that was the Oakley lens. she said no, that it was their lens. i said that for me the point of getting Oakley frames was for the lens. so she called up Oakley. $200 with AR coating. that would've put them at about $400. ouch. that's a tough pill to swallow. i don't know if i really want to commit to that. so i'm gonna sit and think about it.

anywho, what frame is that in the middle of the group of 3?