Quantcast

home improvement, or how I spent Sunday afternoon

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
all right 36 rolls of R30 and 2 hours of labor and I have the entire attic covered in lovely pink. It's dropped to 40* outside and the house is still above the 62* setting that we keep the thermostat set at and the furnace has yet to kick in. I am enjoying walking around in a Tee shirt instead of a heavy sweater

some of the rolls

I actually enjoy doing these types of projects, shot these as I was putting the rolls in place.

R30 installed to the right of the centerline and to the left is how crappy the insulation was originally [almost none]

above the master bedroom [the grey pipes are the air return ducts for the heating system]

the furnace area

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
nice job,its harder than people think, thats if you do it correct.
make sure ur soffit vents are clear, i would replace all that flex duct with pipe or straighten it out make sure its not compressed, or any sharp bends. most engineers spec. max 6' of flex between duct and diffuser.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i need to put some insulation back into my basement walls. i HAD a finished basement
??i have never understood insulating basement, below grade holds a constant 50 degrees, thats a 20 degree temp differential to heat at 70, and as for cooling well 50 is great on those hot humid days. just my opinion

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
??i have never understood insulating basement, below grade holds a constant 50 degrees, thats a 20 degree temp differential to heat at 70, and as for cooling well 50 is great on those hot humid days. just my opinion
For heating, 20 deg heat differential is not the primary metric to be measuring, rather BTU loss is, and since you mentioned that below grade holds a constant 50 degrees, well, your BTU loss is constant (IE the walls/floor are a big sink) and thus heating the space and keeping it at 70 will take a lot of BTU's. Very expensive to heat unless you reduce the BTU loss, and that is done with insulation.

Also, in the summer, if you do happen to introduce hot humid air to 50 degree walls/floor and the air condenses on/in (concrete is porous) those surfaces...if it's hot & humid for a long time (IE the whole summer) the presence of moisture eventually leads to mold & mildue issues...