Quantcast

Home Theatre PCs

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Somehwere down the track, probably next year we'll be getting a beaut new TV (LCD of some kind I'd imagine) and I'm thinking of bypassing the whole Bluray thing as internet downloads will be the way of the future. Been looking around at home theatre PCs and have a few observations, perhaps some of you blokes can tell me if I'm on the right track
- RAM is not such a big issue but as with most things more is better
- need a good video card
- HDMI from the computer to the TV and basically as many different outputs and inputs as possible
- looking at the computer to replace the existing DVD player, satellite TV (will use internet based TV), the video for recording and the stereo as well as the amp for the wall speakers. Basically want a media centre type deal.
- please insert here anything I've forgotten

A lot of the things I like to watch are only available via the internet and connection should be fast enough, that's if they ever get around to connecting the fibre optic network to our area the bastards. No d/load limits in Japan.

Any experience, casual observations, muckraking, name calling, innuendo or gossip is encouraged. Thanks all.

As an example of the things I'm interested in watching see here;
http://www.worldondemand.net/

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You want an integrated amp into the computer?

Probably not such a good idea. I know they make one or two but you're integrating a component with an extremely long useful life (the amp) with a component that has an extremely short life (the PC). Plus, they are both tremendous heat generators. Stick with two components for that.

Everything else is easy. If you want it to replace both your DVD player and stereo, I'd probably get dual drives so you don't have to swap discs all the time. Spend some bucks on a nice case and a nice heatsink, that will make a huge difference in the noise levels. My HTPC is virtually inaudible from much more than 3-4 ft. away.

Go with at least 2gb of RAM, not much point to doing less than that. The video card doesn't have to be spectacular, even something inexpensive like an NVIDIA 8600GT will handle high definition video. If you want to use it like a digital video recorder, you'll need a good sized hard drive but really, your expectations are pretty simple. You don't need a TV tuner card if you do streaming video.

Are you looking at buying a prebuilt solution or building something/having a friend build it?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I really wanted one of those cool looking HTPC cases and such but instead of getting a cool case I built an awesome electronics rack. I ended up getting a dell inspiron 530 on the cheap for like 500. I put in a new video card with HDMI and 2gb of ram for another 150. It looks like the blu-ray players for the computers are also dropping in price a bit now also so you could easily throw one of those in there also. The dell is virtually silent and unseen. I can see the glow from the blue LED power light but thats it. Im running vista media center and got a nice universal remote control for it.

Everything is networked back to my office computer where, my storage raid and downloads occur.

My setup allowed me to cancel my hbo and dvr subscription. Which im either going to pocket the change from or upgrade to the fastest internet service with.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
You want an integrated amp into the computer?

Probably not such a good idea. I know they make one or two but you're integrating a component with an extremely long useful life (the amp) with a component that has an extremely short life (the PC). Plus, they are both tremendous heat generators. Stick with two components for that.

Everything else is easy. If you want it to replace both your DVD player and stereo, I'd probably get dual drives so you don't have to swap discs all the time. Spend some bucks on a nice case and a nice heatsink, that will make a huge difference in the noise levels. My HTPC is virtually inaudible from much more than 3-4 ft. away.

Go with at least 2gb of RAM, not much point to doing less than that. The video card doesn't have to be spectacular, even something inexpensive like an NVIDIA 8600GT will handle high definition video. If you want to use it like a digital video recorder, you'll need a good sized hard drive but really, your expectations are pretty simple. You don't need a TV tuner card if you do streaming video.

Are you looking at buying a prebuilt solution or building something/having a friend build it?
Yeah just get a good receiver to power your speakers. If you get a video card that only has dvi just get a dvi to hdmi adapter.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think "real" HTPCs are over-rated for most people.

I took a PC we weren't using -- I think an athlon 1.3 Ghz, 1gb RAM, standard video and audio out -- and use it to push our media. It's not surround sound, but otherwise, it works, looks and sounds great.

We use standard RGB out video to the RGB-in on the 42" LCD HDTV and for good video captures, it's superior to even the "true" HD signal via cable TV.

For audio, I took the standard 1/8" out cable into the TV directly and also routed it to a T-Amp that I got somewhere for $30. That goes to the speakers throughout the house.

If you've got an extra PC laying around, start there for free and see if that works.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cheers you blokes, all your input is much appreciated. Syadasti mate, if you see this thread can you put your 2 bob's worth in as you usually know what you're talking about

GF- the reason I'm starting now is so I've got a base to work around and I can watch prices. From what I can gather this is a bit of a nascent market PC wise mainly because the content is lagging behind what the hardware can deliver. I expect that to change in the next few years.

BV- good info on the amp there boss. Makes sense. Yeah, the noise issue is something that I've heard but forgot to mention in the OP. Cheers again. I'll be looking at pre-built as a) I'm a thick bastard and b) unless I go with Vista Ultimate my computing is/will be done on a Japanese OS so plug in and go is what I'm after.

Ridic- I've heard that the media centre with Vista is pretty good for this kind of thing. I'm not that fussed with form either, much prefer function so cheers for that advice.

Loopie- yeah, seen a few HTPC specific out there. Sony make a few pretty looking ones but they seem way overpriced for what you get. Imagine that, Sony!

Once again thanks you fellas.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
morbidly curious if opinions/requirements/compatibilities have significantly changed over 2.7 yrs, esp since i'm looking to get off the grid & go full-on OTA, forsaking all paygo providers.

but doesn't having a pc [presumably available for typical pc use also, unless re-purposed] carry the burden for home entertainment seem inappropriate?

i'm thinking "just b/c you can doesn't mean you should"