Quantcast

Homebrew noob.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Speaking of hops, I have to dry hop one ounce. Should I move to the second fermenter and dry hop now while there may still be some yeast activity left?
Unless you're purging your secondary with CO2, you always want to rack while the yeast is still active so that continued fermentation pushes the air out of the carboy headspace. At home, I typically rack to secondary as soon as the krausen has fallen.

Yeast activity shouldn't affect dry-hopping. At work, we dry-hop at, or very near, terminal gravity.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
after the initial cost is home brewing cheaper than buying beer?
I'm still a noob so I use prepackaged recipe kits. They include all of the "beer ingredients" you need (you may need to provide honey, caramel, BOURBON, depending on what you're making).

Figure a kit makes two cases of beer. So, take the price of your ingredients and divide by eight. That gives you the price of your beer in a six pack. The beer I am making now cost $55 (but it was a gift). No other ingredients were needed. $55/8 = $6.88 for your homebrew six pack. $6.88 for a six pack of double IPA is cheap. You can not find one in a beer store for that price. The cheapest, quality DIPA I've seen in six packs is Victory Brewing Company's Hop Wallop, and that goes for $12 for six. Most double IPA's come in single 22oz bottles or four packs.

:beerjam:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Unless you're purging your secondary with CO2, you always want to rack while the yeast is still active so that continued fermentation pushes the air out of the carboy headspace. At home, I typically rack to secondary as soon as the krausen has fallen.

Yeast activity shouldn't affect dry-hopping. At work, we dry-hop at, or very near, terminal gravity.
Dammit, there is no more bubbling going on. :shakefist: Is my beer ruined? :p

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
hmmmmm..... *gears turning*

I saw a Sierra NV double IPA today a the co-op, but I am a hop-a-phobe any more.

Good luck on your brew!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There has a hops shortage as of late. My local homebrew supplier has problems getting hops in any form, they can only buy hops when ordering large amounts of other supplies. I'm betting your friends could make a killing selling hops through eBay or another direct source. Better yet, sell them to me in bulk and I will sell on eBay.
The hops shortage has been retarded on the market in my hometown. The hop growers have been making ridiculous $$$$ for their hops. From what I know it stems from Budweiser not paying attention to their hops storage and letting it get super low. They then proceeded to buy anything and everything they could get their hands on effectively driving the price through the roof. I had no idea the busch f*ck up was effecting the home brew market too.

Most of my friends who grew up on hop ranches want nothing to do with it. One of these days I'll go home and see what I can round up in loose hops or pellets. If its anything substantial I'll let it be known in this thread. Any varieties that are prefered?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
One of these days I'll go home and see what I can round up in loose hops or pellets. If its anything substantial I'll let it be known in this thread. Any varieties that are prefered?
That would be really cool. Let us know what you dig up if anything, I'm sure somebody here might have a use for whatever it is.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So this morning the secondary fermenter has a half inch layer of "stuff" at the top of the beer. Hard to tell if it's yeast activity or the hop pellets which have soaked up the liquid and floated to the top. I'm guessing the latter since there is no bubbly in the airlock.

How does the beer soak up the dry hop flavor if it just sits at the top of the fermenter? I would guess the hops would need to be IN the beer.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So this morning the secondary fermenter has a half inch layer of "stuff" at the top of the beer. Hard to tell if it's yeast activity or the hop pellets which have soaked up the liquid and floated to the top. I'm guessing the latter since there is no bubbly in the airlock.

How does the beer soak up the dry hop flavor if it just sits at the top of the fermenter? I would guess the hops would need to be IN the beer.
Beer magic. You're worrying too much over this. Relax, have a homebrew.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
What could be some causes of my original gravity being considerably off from what the clone recipe says it should be?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Higher or lower than anticipated? There could be a few things going on but none are critical unless you're WAY off target. If it's higher you may have lost some volume during boil essentially concentrating the wort before you pitched the yeast. If it's lower you may have had slightly more than expected volume causing the opposite effect. These gains or losses in gravity are explained with a measure called "system efficiency". The temperature that you take the readings at will also have an effect, warmer wort will read lower because it is less dense, try to take your reading as close to fermentation temperatures as possible. Water chemistry might also play in a little bit I believe and the freshness of your ingredients might also affect it. At the end of the day, it's not a disaster, just record your measurements and use them to make your calculations.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
1-2 weeks is a good secondary if you're dry hopping, the longer it sits the stronger the hop flavor and aroma will be (to a point). You're planning on brewing Sunday? Want to come up and brew with us?
Thanks for the invite but we're having a Super Bowl gathering Sunday.

I am hoping to be done brewing the barleywine by early afternoon.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Higher or lower than anticipated? There could be a few things going on but none are critical unless you're WAY off target. If it's higher you may have lost some volume during boil essentially concentrating the wort before you pitched the yeast. If it's lower you may have had slightly more than expected volume causing the opposite effect. These gains or losses in gravity are explained with a measure called "system efficiency". The temperature that you take the readings at will also have an effect, warmer wort will read lower because it is less dense, try to take your reading as close to fermentation temperatures as possible. Water chemistry might also play in a little bit I believe and the freshness of your ingredients might also affect it. At the end of the day, it's not a disaster, just record your measurements and use them to make your calculations.

The reading was lower than expected. I don't want wussy beer. I don't live in Utah and there is more than one reason for that! :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
:picsstfu:

teh siphoning.

Fermenter one prior to the magic beer transfer.

The day after the xfer (today). Dry hopping hops being all hoppy with their hop hop hoppity selves. Hoptimus Prime. Super Hop XLIII. Let's go to the hop.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The hops shortage has been retarded on the market in my hometown. The hop growers have been making ridiculous $$$$ for their hops. From what I know it stems from Budweiser not paying attention to their hops storage and letting it get super low. They then proceeded to buy anything and everything they could get their hands on effectively driving the price through the roof. I had no idea the busch f*ck up was effecting the home brew market too.
This is the first I've heard about any AB fault in the shortage. I always thought they relied on their own farms for hops. The big reasons I heard were that a majority of the 07 (or 06?) US harvest went up in flames in a warehouse fire in the PacNW and that the European harvest was especially awful those same years. The good news is that we've started receiving our 08 harvest hops and things look good. We haven't heard of any shortfalls in the foreseeable future. Prices are coming down, but not as quickly as we'd like. I'm hoping the falling prices reach you guys, because you've certainly been hit the hardest by the hops shortage.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
This is the first I've heard about any AB fault in the shortage. I always thought they relied on their own farms for hops. The big reasons I heard were that a majority of the 07 (or 06?) US harvest went up in flames in a warehouse fire in the PacNW and that the European harvest was especially awful those same years. The good news is that we've started receiving our 08 harvest hops and things look good. We haven't heard of any shortfalls in the foreseeable future. Prices are coming down, but not as quickly as we'd like. I'm hoping the falling prices reach you guys, because you've certainly been hit the hardest by the hops shortage.
Busch does have a couple 1000 acres of its own hops in North Idaho and maybe some other places but mostly they buy hops through contracts with independent growers. Most all hops grown in the USA by commercial farms are done solely on contract. AB was stockpiling their hops and then relying on their storage for brewing. In this period the contracts were shrinking and growers were pulling acreage. Busch's realization that their stocks were low and the consequent mad-dash for hops is what drove the price up. Since then massive plantings have gone in. I've watched some farms double in size in the last year. This will counteract the balance and hops should be cheap again.
The warehouse fires played roles, but relatively minor roles. In fact a warehouse run by my dad burned down in 2000(I think) taking 10,000 bales (200# a piece) with it. It was crazy. Spontaneous combustion of wet hops was the culprit hop fire

check the pics

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What could be some causes of my original gravity being considerably off from what the clone recipe says it should be?
This just happened to me today. I brewed a barleywine that was supposed to read 1.082. It read 1.070. Stupid thing. I hope the FG drops real low, because a 6% barleywine will be teh suck.

I can't figure out why the OG was off. Everything went real smooth. I honestly don't think it could have gone better.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This just happened to me today. I brewed a barleywine that was supposed to read 1.082. It read 1.070. Stupid thing. I hope the FG drops real low, because a 6% barleywine will be teh suck.

I can't figure out why the OG was off. Everything went real smooth. I honestly don't think it could have gone better.
So it would seem this problem may have been caused by not mixing the wort with the water in the carboy well enough.

RDWHAHB?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Here is my finished batch of barleywine. I'll be drinking this baby in six shorts months. *sigh*

Kitty helped.

Barleywine after 24 hours.

blub blub blub

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So, I ended up delaying my brews, I'm going to be brewing this weekend instead.

FYI - For those of you who make yeast starters, I picked up a handy tip at the homebrew store last week. If you're out of DME or just want to save yourself from the mess, pick up some Goya Malta beverage and use that for your starter. It's sanitized when it's bottled and the ingredients are all beer friendly.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Yah, I think this was our problem too. I will bottle this weekend and take a final reading.
You will want to make sure that your final reading is the lowest that it can go. If you bottle too early, Kablammo!

I take a reading after a week or so, from the secondary, then check again in a week. If the reading is the same, and my temps have been steady, I go ahead and bottle.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
who wants pink caps on their beer bottles...

How many people still use bottles after they've brewed more then a few times?

*I use bottles but I use 22oz and I also use a Party Pig, a two gallon mini beer dispenser.
Cleaning bottles SUCKS.