Quantcast

Honda RN01 frameset

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
with the numbers in the bike industry i dont think all this mass production will work. most high end bike brands put out 100-200 frames a year of their dh model. its not big.... and no way honda will come in making even 500 of these and have them lose their prestige...

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
by the way...i just noticed somebody is lying...cameron cole's chain either dropped a lot or it didn't....whats it gonna be?
It didn't.
A certain womble who's name I have mentioned and who is not welcome back in his country of birth for reasons both too sordid and numerous to mention has a habit of making the same stupid comments repeatedly on many forums. They are as typically divergent from reality as his belief that his own ego is the centre of the universe and dictates the laws of physics and materials science.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
I notice you didn't deny using pubes in the frames though ;)
On demand only. If you want some of my DNA to clone me in the event of my demise I won't deny you. It should be safe for a million years laminated in the resin matrix. (I have red pills too:biggrin: but you'll need to go elsewhere for blue ones)

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Man F#@^ that, Im not spending that much money on a bike. Ill stick with my honda DH/FR bike instead! This bike gave the the confidence to hit 30-60ft gaps and big drops! Ive won tons of races and spent the money I saved up on its great price on wood and other things to make sick trails to hit up on this bike!

Man your Honda is so spec'd out. No wonder it handles 60 footers so good. Wish I could have a go.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Here ya go Honda dudes. This one should smoke that title. You know I've been rooting for ya since I talked you into the gearbox prog in 01.
I've even fixed the pivot hight and nylon chain routing block so you won't need the Big Red lockout button and so it'll eat the big bumps. BB raised for those that requested it.:cheers:

Attachments

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
Here ya go Honda dudes. This one should smoke that title. You know I've been rooting for ya since I talked you into the gearbox prog in 01.
I've even fixed the pivot hight and nylon chain routing block so you won't need the Big Red lockout button and so it'll eat the big bumps. BB raised for those that requested it.:cheers:
Hondar?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
How do you figure? Lahar runs gears in a box.
Are you a lawyer or something?Your getting a bit hung up on the words. Here's some more,Lahar needs 25ml of oil changed once a year,you can shift any time(backpedalling even),you can change as many gears as you like in one shift,the weight is off the swingarm,the Rohloff will probably outlast your car(even if it's a honda).
With your logic you could say the Honda runs a deraileur in it so it's not a gearbox.
Why am I even writting this.
Accelerates through bumps was good also.
Dude you forgot to mention that Lahars made of Carbon:happydance: :drool:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Put my name down for one of these badboys.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Teisuke Morimoto said:
The " frame kit" includes frame, rear shock, rear hub and crank. You don't need complicated chain device or rear derailler anymore, You don't need new BB. Seat clamp is buit in. You just need wheels, handle bar, stem, saddle, seat post, pedals, chain and disc brake. That will be cheaper than you thought and easy to buit. Bye bye chain suck...
it doesn't say whether it comes with a fork or whether a fork is needed.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
definitely looking more like a production unit with the (elimination of the carbon) alu seat mast & molded (plastic?) gearbox case. i can actually see these coming in at a surprisingly reasonable price - could have a significant impact on the dh segment. speculative postulation: could be a really forward thinking move for honda - dwindling land access for motos / enviro concerns --> growth of bikepark development & a shift from motos to dh bikes for off road 2 wheeled entertainment. i imagine the dh bike manufacturing landscape would change considerably if a couple of the other japanese moto manufacturers got on board as well...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i really hope they include the fork too, anyone notice that the g cross teat moved to alu forks this year? previous years they used the carbon forks for races and the alu for everything else.

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
This release would also prove a bit of gossip i read about showa getting ready to enter the retail mtb market.

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
xy9ine:
or maybe it's just a non-world cup version of RN01? some Japanese riders have/had that Honda's ("plastic" gearbox case, alu seat mast)

I'm waiting for official Honda press launch...
and I don't care about the fork... I WANT that frame! :busted: :busted:

Attachments

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
That bike is near pointless with out the fork. Having a full Showa front and rear is probably the biggest reason i'd get one.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
:stupid: its the whole package... i really wonder how much it would cost, they keep saying it will be surprisingly affordable. i am happy with my bike but just the idea of getting a honda makes me excited...

Jin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
is the honda gonna have trigger shifter for the gear change? or grip shift like the gt

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
anyone heard of those honda superstores that are opening up,

everything honda under 1 roof, cars, quads, dirt bikes, superbikes, weedwackers generators engines ect, it looks to me as though those people are gonna be the first to have access to even ordering one.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
How much travel does it have in the rear? looks like the bottom bart of the gear box is really low since the bb is about 3-4 inches up from it.
i think its around 8, but like everything about the bike its pretty mysterious... i have read that they change the travel front and back to 7in to suit different courses.

and the clearance is better then a normal dh bike with a same bb height.

Jin said:
is the honda gonna have trigger shifter for the gear change? or grip shift like the gt
they use a sram trigger shifter.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
maybe they can build them for less in one of their giant factory's then if they were to buy them from other manufacturers

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
mfg costs aren't the main cost with building cranks, its the development. I bet the variable costs of making Saints or something is like 15 bucks. I doubt Honda had spare DH crank designs lying around.....or anything remotley close

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Maybe they needed their own cranks as they wanted a specific interface to the bb/whatever they run down there.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
according the the experts on this site you will read the following complaints: the bottom bracket is too low, it might be okay with flat pedals but clipless will make you ride bowlegged, it'll suck without a floater, the gear box isn't service free forever, the chain will have to be lubed, the fork bushings will wear out, the frame isn't self-polishing, the showa shock is okay but it would be better if it was Pushed, and it looks flexy . . . .
.......bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you forgot to add tyhat its only the sickest thing ever

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
it doesn't say whether it comes with a fork or whether a fork is needed.
Read it again. Maybe they edited the writeup.

The " frame kit" includes frame, fork, rear shock, rear hub and crank. You don't need complicated chain device or rear derailler anymore, You don't need new BB. Seat clamp is buit in. You just need wheels, handle bar, stem, saddle, seat post, pedals, chain and disc brake. That will be cheaper than you thought and easy to buit. Bye bye chain suck...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think its funny that people are sitting on here blubbering about a bike that none have ridden. Hate to bring this idea up, but I'd bet a factory tuned Fox fork or RockSHox is just as good as whatever Showa has in there.