Quantcast

Hood Rocked...Literally.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Back from another great hood event. I made 2 of 3 goals.

1. Do the "big stupid" ladder drop -done*
2. DO the double log step down in the trees -dont
3. break 5:15 -failed.

*I rolled the off big stupid and stuck the landing, but in the exit I wrecked bad. Pinballing off padded rocks into non padded rocks. After i stopped shaking i got roling again and sat at the log drop. Wasnt going to do it, especially after a bad fall. But watching people do it I said what the hell, i survived tha last one... So I hiked up and just went for it. LAnded parfect. It took me 2 more times off the big ladder drop to realize speed wasnt called for. Slow and low, and each time the double drop was good.

On to #3... FIrst run everything clean, but not the fastest where i knew i shoulda been. Time 5:24 (10 sec faster than my previous best run). Run 2 went into cannonball much faster, but chose the wrong line on the exit, and got sucked ointo a rocky channel. BANG, BANG, BANG..... made it to the gravel corner to fell my rear end washing out. F@#K.... Pinch flat. I was out, and instead of getting in peoles way i just gave in and went down another trail. GOod thing it wasnt combined times today. I still made 8th place after being 6th in run 1.

All in all it was a great day. Lots of pros fighting for the cash, and tootricky got his first po-deum in semi-poo. COngrats!

Joy, hope your knees ok.......

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Good to hear you had fun! YOu should be running stans though! I think I might try ghetto tubeless. I am too poor to throw down for stans.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
ioscope said:
Good to hear you had fun! YOu should be running stans though! I think I might try ghetto tubeless. I am too poor to throw down for stans.[/Q]

before check this out this something you might be interested in

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Toshi,

The Double is a 2 logs about 6' apart, and about 4' down. Pretty easy today, not so in the mud, so the last 2 races i just rolled it. Today was ultra dry and solid. The landing has a real nice tranny that leads onto a wide and short bridge, that then goes right into a sweet berm and root section... that i carry ALOT of monetum into since im a big guy.....

Its a real fun trail, but im not sure if its open to the public on non race weekends... i think you can poach it..... shhhhhh

:)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
ioscope said:
Good to hear you had fun! YOu should be running stans though! I think I might try ghetto tubeless. I am too poor to throw down for stans.

I had stans, but last race i encountered a root that sliced my sidewall. So i borrowed a tube. It was just bad luck getting of line. Next time i'll be more aware and fight to stay clear of that rocky rut.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Yeah, my race runs blew but I had a great time in practice. Maybe next time I should practice the parts of the trail that I'm not already good at :rolleyes:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Good time this weekend, other then blowing my knee out. I went to the doc today and have to go get an MRI this week. Hopefully I didn't re-injure anything...concidering I've already had 2 surgeries on the same knee. However, I did well on my first race run making me the fastest girl and winning money!!! Thanks goodness it was best of 2 runs :rolleyes: Crashing sucks! Thanks EvilBob for helping me out and catching it all on video, and Buildyourown for scoring me the bag ice!!! Also thanks Trailhacker and Snacks for helping me too and driving me to and from the race!!! :)

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Fun Fun Fun.

What's up with all the monkeys who played hookie?
1.Awesome course
2.Lift access
3.Cash payout
4.Easy Drive (compared to WIM races for us Puget Sound monkeys)
5. Keg

What's the Dealio???????? :angry:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MUTOLI said:
I went to the doc today and have to go get an MRI this week.
Here's to hopin you got no big tears in there.

Congrats on the win. :)

Sounds like a good time was had by many, Oly you need to have someone hold a taco for you at the bottom, you'll do alot better. :evil:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
MUTOLI said:
Good time this weekend, other then blowing my knee out. I went to the doc today and have to go get an MRI this week. Hopefully I didn't re-injure anything...concidering I've already had 2 surgeries on the same knee. However, I did well on my first race run making me the fastest girl and winning money!!! Thanks goodness it was best of 2 runs :rolleyes: Crashing sucks! Thanks EvilBob for helping me out and catching it all on video, and Buildyourown for scoring me the bag ice!!! Also thanks Trailhacker and Snacks for helping me too and driving me to and from the race!!! :)
Hope it's not too bad - we don't need another PNW rider down.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Skookum said:
Here's to hopin you got no big tears in there.

Congrats on the win. :)

Sounds like a good time was had by many, Oly you need to have someone hold a taco for you at the bottom, you'll do alot better. :evil:
Maybe you can fashion a helmet with a taco held out in front of me on a fishing pole and string. That way I will think iabout pedal faster so i can get the taco......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Tootrikky said:
Fun Fun Fun.

1.Awesome course
2.Lift access
3.Cash payout
5. Keg

Exactly. With all that WIM stuff this spring where are all those who swore off that series? Whistlers fun and all, but why not put you money where your mouth is and come race a sweet grassroots even.... or dont, more beer for me and toots.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Tootrikky said:
Fun Fun Fun.

1.Awesome course
2.Lift access
3.Cash payout
5. Keg

6.Watching you put your tent up! :p

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
MUTOLI said:
EVERYONE DO A NO SURGERY DANCE. Hope you are alright injury sucks

the botom of the course looks cool any footage

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
thanks for finding the pics, but what is so gnarly about that? its like maybe a 3 foot drop w/ nothing to clear....the rock to ladder at beacon seems a lot sketchier, and that is easy (not to say that i never completely overshot it or anything)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
freeridekid said:
thanks for finding the pics, but what is so gnarly about that? its like maybe a 3 foot drop w/ nothing to clear....the rock to ladder at beacon seems a lot sketchier, and that is easy (not to say that i never completely overshot it or anything)
The drop itself is cake. It's the 2 truck sized rocks that you have to thread through right after you land. The landing was covered with sand/pea gravel. If you braked, your rear wheel would slide out just a bit and tag the rock.
It really wasn't that hard. You just had to make sure you where going slow enough that you could make the turn without grabbing a handful of brake.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
buildyourown said:
The drop itself is cake. It's the 2 truck sized rocks that you have to thread through right after you land. The landing was covered with sand/pea gravel. If you braked, your rear wheel would slide out just a bit and tag the rock.
It really wasn't that hard. You just had to make sure you where going slow enough that you could make the turn without grabbing a handful of brake.

Also between the big rocks was a bunch of other smaller rocks, and one huge boulder to right that my ribs found. Good thing I wear upper armor.

I made an overview in CADDE V2.5 now with coulorz.

Attachments

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Also between the big rocks was a bunch of other smaller rocks, and one huge boulder to right that my ribs found. Good thing I wear upper armor.

I think there was a tree somewhere after the top rock w/yellow crash pad that forced you to 'make' the left turn :think:

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
freeridekid said:
....the rock to ladder at beacon seems a lot sketchier,
It's more like the Schlayer drop/ramp, except with big giant rocks at the bottom of the ramp. Also, it's not exactly easy to make the corner to get on the ladder in the first place. Oly's drawing is dead-on.

P.S. the rock-to-ladder at beacon isnt a drop.

I'll get some vid up soon.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:

Good drawing. You forgot the huge rock that sits next to the go around ladder! You know, the one I went face first into on Saturday! :eek:

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
oly said:
Did you get me off the drop? I saw ya there as i came through.....
I just dumped the video last night. I'll try to go through it and check, but more than likely I did. I shot the first run up by the drop and just above on the rought straight away, somewhere up there on the first run. The second run, I was shooting in the trees.

Yah, I got some of the DY's skin suit, couldnt miss it while reviewing.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
MUTOLI said:
Girly....you are tough, that crash was painful to watch and hear but you almost made it and you were movin right up to that point. Congrats on the cash you deserve it.....especialy after trying to move that rock with your cheek during practice on Sat. :rolleyes:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
Girly....you are tough, that crash was painful to watch and hear but you almost made it and you were movin right up to that point. Congrats on the cash you deserve it.....especialy after trying to move that rock with your cheek during practice on Sat. :rolleyes:
:dead: yeah, if I wasn't wearing my goggles on the face shot Saturday...who knows what could have happend!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MUTOLI said:
:dead: yeah, if I wasn't wearing my goggles on the face shot Saturday...who knows what could have happend!
Sorry to hear you wrecked your knee. Where did you crash?? It sounds like it was a sight.
:(

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
Sorry to hear you wrecked your knee. Where did you crash?? It sounds like it was a sight.
:(
Which time?! :) I had two pretty bad crashes. The face shot was in the rock section by the ladder drop. The knee blow out was in the wood section on one of the steep shoots with a burm (I know...which one! There are many of them). I hit the burm too fast and my bike slammed into a stump after the burm, and I flew over the edge falling about 5 feet until my left foot landed and all the weight and force caused my knee to buckle!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MUTOLI said:
Which time?! :) I had two pretty bad crashes. The face shot was in the rock section by the ladder drop. The knee blow out was in the wood section on one of the steep shoots with a burm (I know...which one! There are many of them). I hit he burm too fast and my bike slammed into a stump after the burm, and I flew over the edge falling about 5 feet until my left foot landed and all the weight and force caused my knee to buckle!
Sadly enough, I've raced at hood so long I think I know which chute to berm you're talking about! There are so many places on that course to seriously eat it. I have seen so many people end up in the boulders after the ladder (me being one of them). I hope the knee is okay and no surgery is necessary. Keep us posted and heal up! Hey are you guys going to hit up willamette again this year?? I should head up there or to the next hood race and visit all my race buddies!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
It was a tuff weekend for crashing :(

D took a nice digger on his love handles, Kevin crashed on the ridge trail, and Bob went OTB and dislocated his shoulder!

All you guys (and girl :) ) are some troopers!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
It was a tuff weekend for crashing :(

D took a nice digger on his love handles, Kevin crashed on the ridge trail, and Bob went OTB and dislocated his shoulder!

All you guys (and girl :) ) are some troopers!
0 for 2 that mountain owes me a good race weekend. Up to this point Mt Hood owns me :think: :angry: but all in all I have fun going down there every time. The course is awesome but very unforgiving. Your hands get punished and your done. I think the rocks are alive there and they are evil and mean..... :D :evil:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
0 for 2 that mountain owes me a good race weekend. Up to this point Mt Hood owns me :think: :angry: but all in all I have fun going down there every time. The course is awesome but very unforgiving. Your hands get punished and your done. I think the rocks are alive there and they are evil and mean..... :D :evil:
Man...that sucks Evilbob! I still can't believe you were able to run out of most of your crashes. That takes some true talent. :)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
Sadly enough, I've raced at hood so long I think I know which chute to berm you're talking about! There are so many places on that course to seriously eat it. I have seen so many people end up in the boulders after the ladder (me being one of them). I hope the knee is okay and no surgery is necessary. Keep us posted and heal up! Hey are you guys going to hit up willamette again this year?? I should head up there or to the next hood race and visit all my race buddies!
Probably won't hit Willamette...but not sure yet. We are trying to hit the rest of the BC Cups. Sun Peaks is the same weekend as Willamette. I guess it all depends on my knee too...I may not get to do any more races this season!!! :(