Quantcast

hoop replacement question

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a wheel question.

I'm going to buy a set of Specialized wheels from a Demo 7. The hoops are trashed, but the hubs are perfect.

I have to get them shipped to me, so my question is this; Is it worth paying the extra for shipping to keep the spokes/nipples, or will I need to replace them anyways when I get new hoops?

The hoops currently laced are DT Swiss 5.1's.
If anyone knows what hoops are close to the same in regards to spoke length it'd be appreciated. I don't know much about the physics behind wheel building, but I had an old rim on one of my older bikes replaced with a Rhynolite and he was able to keep the old spokes; just not sure if it works every time.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
You'll need to compare the effective rim diameter (ERD) of both the options.

The ERD of the DT Swiss EX 5.1d is 539.

Actually, you can just use the spoke calculator on DT's website to tell you spoke lengths.

That said, if you want a good wheel, you shouldn't re-use spokes or nipples. Not only are the current spokes stressed and fatigued already, but the nipples will hold better with fresh spoke prep, leading to a longer lasting wheel.

If you use the old spokes you'll have more trouble building a true and round wheel, and you'll be truing more frequently. Worst case is you'll keep breaking spokes and need a full rebuild anyway.

motostu93

Chimp
Sep 16, 2007
santa barbara, CA
dont just rely on the spoke length calculator on the dt swiss site ive herd that it isn't always right. look around and find some other calculators and see what they tell you