Quantcast

hope mini problems

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I've got some problems going on with my minis. They've worked great for the past 9 months, no problems at all - felt better than all my buddies on hayes, even better than the dh04's on my big bike. The pads were very worn, so I got some EBC greens, hearing they will get rid of the squeal and perform even better than stock. Well, just changing pads I discovered tons of mush at both levers (more at the rear). Decided I should bleed them - which I did and still to no avail. I thought maybe a ride would get some of the glaze off the pads - nope! I can't figure it out. I've bleed out numerous other brakes (including a few other sets of mini's) with no problems. Mine just feel like garbage right now. I went for a second ride to see if it just needed more time and I ended up not having any brakes and ended up goofing my shoulder up on a tree. It seems like the little rubber seal in the at the master cylinder is somehow not getting a good seal and thats where some of the air is getting in. All the fittings are good and tight too. I can actually squeeze the lever to the bar there is that much mush there, and continue to pedal. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or should I just give hope a call to figure it out. I'm thinking just throw the dh04's on there, but the front is boxxer specific - and that just wouldn't go with a superlight.

Is the lever soft or does it just have a lot of travel till the brake bites? If it's the latter you need to reset the pads by removing the wheel and pulling the lever to the bar a couple of times.The biting point should be reached with much less lever travel.It doesnt matter if the master cylinder has some air in it so long as the air doesn't get into the hose.I'm using EBC Golds at the moment and they didn't need much bedding in at all (never tried Greens though).