Quantcast

Hope Mono m4 Impressions

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Well, I de-virginized the hopes yesterday. Setup was really easy, and it only took me about 3 tries to get the wheel perfectly centered in the pads. Hope supplied plently of extra shims, and everything bolted on easily. Even initally, just from riding around my street, I could feel a huge increase in power and modulation from my hayes mechanicals. After breaking them in, I am sure they will feel even better. At the local dh trail, they outpreformed my expectations. I easily had enough power to lock either brake with one finger, but had more than enough modulation to avoid locking up/going over the bars when I did not want to. The hopes gave me a huge confidence boost (riding rocky dh on a hardtail with only a rear hayes mech is not very fun) and also decreased finger/arm fatigue. On a side note, even when it began to rain, and brakes were squealing left and right, the hopes remained completly silent. I am very happy with my purchase, these brakes were well worth the money.

Attachments

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Another question, how does everyone de-kink their hydro lines. Mine were coiled in their boxes for a while, and on the bike still retain their kinkiness. Any easy fix for that, if not I will be cutting the lines anway. Thanks.

Attachments

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
welcome to the club:D Brian will be sending you our initiation card in the mail shortly:D

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by The Kadvang
A secret society of educated men with deepest influence in every area of society:
the Hope mafia.:D
oh, you already got the card?:D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hmm keep us updated on the squeaking issue. My Minis howl like a rabid banshee and I've tried everything. I'm about ready to give up on them.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Yep, its a 203, and I dont think a direct bolt on is available. For whatever reason, it works on the front with no adapter, but not on the rear.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Hmm keep us updated on the squeaking issue. My Minis howl like a rabid banshee and I've tried everything. I'm about ready to give up on them.
yep same here...tried everything and they still squeal...looks like it time to sell...D

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hope tech did that in Durango. I think the only solution is to get Hayes.
or XTs

Its really funny, how British rides bash hope brakes all the time, and they like XT and Hayes as quality solutions, and american rides like Hopes more.... :S

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Hope tech did that in Durango. I think the only solution is to get Hayes.
I dunno mate, I'd rather have noisy superior brakes than quiet inferior ones.;) Then again my Hopes don't squeal (much anyway).:)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Acadian
Although I've never really had squeaking problems with my Hopes - I've heard some squeak pretty bad.

I also don't know if I could ever ride anything else...love my Hopes.
I had a bit of a tool around on a Kona fitted with 8 inch Hayes a few weeks back and they are good brakes for sure but it just confirmed for me how much better my Hopes are. The feel at the lever just can't be beat, that instant "on" feeling, mate they just f*cken rock. Think I'm gonna go and have a wank now.;) :D :D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Problem is that I don't want to use other brakes. Hopes are great - light, great lever shape, powerful, and reliable. It just the friggen squeaking!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Problem is that I don't want to use other brakes. Hopes are great - light, great lever shape, powerful, and reliable. It just the friggen squeaking!
How old are they? Might be time to upgrade to this year's model?
I dunno what the answer is but I can see how it would get on your tits as on the few occassions mine shreik it fair wakes the f*cken dead, but yeah Hopes are so good like Acadian I can't see myself running anything else.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
Originally posted by Acadian
or maybe the new Avid Juicy's? I got to try a set at Sea Otter and BB, they are pretty nice and the ones I tried were MEGA powerful!!
ding ding ding! correct!
the avids are wicked strong, great modulation, and you can service them with your eyes shut

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
hmmm... i've been very impressed with the modulation in mine... much better than the hayes mag plus that i used to run. seems to me that for the first week or two though, the brakes were either really on or off- like you described. maybe the ones you were on needed to be broken in a little?

D

Dingus McGee

Done that. I've even had the Hope tech at Durango nats work on them. Nothing works.
Did Hope face your tabs with their tool? Misaligned DB tabs are often the culprit in squeeling crimes. I've never needed it, but my friend treid EVERYTHING else and in 3 minutes they were silent after Dean faced the tabs at a race last year.

"Suffering from out of line mounts?

Spongy lever?

Squealing brake?

All of these can be cured with "Spot", our new disc mount facing tool. We have seen many of these tools made by our competitors but felt many of them are overly complicated, so we set about making a simple yet effective solution. The tool simply bolts into the rear dropouts and a cutter is fitted into predetermined holes to achieve perfect alignment. All this at a fraction of the cost of other tools on the market."

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
EBC pads did it for me, and I had the shop face my brake mounts too. Maybe you have stuff on your rotor? I hear using alcohol to clean them can leave a residue or something that might cause squeaking.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I put Mono M4 on the front of my bike three days ago, they are quite sucky. I mean, it does stop, and modulates well - but not nearly enough power. I've ridden it around for some time now, maybe it needs a bit more. If it doesn't get better, I'm gonna be a disappointed, bitter man. :dead:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by roee
I put Mono M4 on the front of my bike three days ago, they are quite sucky. I mean, it does stop, and modulates well - but not nearly enough power. I've ridden it around for some time now, maybe it needs a bit more. If it doesn't get better, I'm gonna be a disappointed, bitter man. :dead:
Have you done a dh run or two with them? Mine had zero power in the parking lot, but were great after one run.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
No, I only ride the bike on pavement, and it's quite flat here, but I did my best to brake hard. I'll keep trying :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No, I only ride the bike on pavement, and it's quite flat here, but I did my best to brake hard. I'll keep trying :D
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...but if you're serious, I wouldn't worry. They should bed in shortly.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by Silver
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...but if you're serious, I wouldn't worry. They should bed in shortly.
LMAO I wasn't being sarcastic :) You really got me laughing dude, mostly at myself for having M4 for riding on pavement in a dead flat city :D

Thanks for the reassurance though. I'll go aim for some old ladies for panic stops :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
LMAO I wasn't being sarcastic :) You really got me laughing dude, mostly at myself for having M4 for riding on pavement in a dead flat city :D

Thanks for the reassurance though. I'll go aim for some old ladies for panic stops :D
They need a few long hills to break in.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
They need a few long hills to break in.
Can slower break in damage anything? Like "baking" the pads instead of taking material off?