Quantcast

Hope Pro 2 hub won't fit into dropouts...

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
Has anyone else had trouble with a Hope Pro 2 rear hub not fitting in their drop outs? I have a Bottle Rocket that has had two other 135mm rear wheelsets and they fit into the dropouts just fine.

But I just got a Pro II 135mm/10mm built up and it is about 4mm too wide for my dropouts. I spread the drop outs apart to see if it was just a matter of getting the wheel into the dropouts but the wheel barely even spins. I thought the resisted rotation might be from over-tightening the cassette so I checked the torque on it and it was in spec. I loosened it anyway, reinstalled the wheel and got the same result. Then I completely removed the cassette and the wheel still won't rotate normally. It is over-loading the bearings in the dropouts. Even with the skewer barely tightened the wheel won't spin right.

Anyone got any ideas?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Unscrew the actual axle from the hub (usually a 4 or 5mm allen wrench and/or cone wrenches) & remove the freehub. Then using a hammer and something to cushion the bearing from the hammer, tap the exposed bearings to make sure they are completely seated & are seated evenly (not angled to one side). Then re-insert the axle & freehub, and if it's not better, then I'd say head to the LBS and get another opinion....but an improperly seated bearing is the only thing I could think of. It could be an axle that isn't the right size as well, but I'd say that that's a much smaller possibility.

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
I figured it out. It was something totally simple. There are two cups that sit on the outside of the hub body. They are only held in place by elf-magic or something. Turns out, they are specific to a certain side of the hub and the guy that built my wheels accidentally put them on backwards when he converted the hub from QR to 10mm.

You don't even need a tool (other than the mechanic who started this thread!) to remove them and swap them out. I just pulled them off, swapped them, put the wheel on and presto; I'm an idiot. Oh well, I'm rolling again and that's all that matters.

Thanks for the help, though. I was kind of stressing out. I am pretty bike-savvy but I've never played with Hope hubs so I was out of my element.