Quantcast

Hope Pro II hub with a broken axle...

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
I just finished a short climb and when I started coasting at the top I noticed my cassette still wanted to spin even though I wasn't pedaling any longer. I stopped and started inspecting things and discovered that during the climb I managed to shear the axle sleeve (I'm guessing there's probably a more precise technical term for this part) of my nearly-new hub.

Kind of disappointing considering the cost of these hubs and amount of time I'll be off the bike during spring riding season but I guess it's inherent to the sport. Bummer.

Has anyone else managed to do this to a Pro II? If so, is Hope a good company to work with considering this hub is only a few months old?

Attachments

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
Wow, 55 views and not a single reply?! Hope must be right; this IS a rare thing to have happened.

Hope sent me out a new axle sleeve and in no time at all I was back in the saddle.

Attachments

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Running Pro II's on my DH bike (20mm thru/ 12mm thru). Been pounding for 3 months already and they've been spot on and trouble free. I'm thinking for the QR's there is too much stress on that sleeve.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It's a weakness of pawl-driven hubs. They aren't perfectly aligned, so occasionally only one or two pawls will engage. Heavy torque (climbing) creates a big shear load and that wimpy little aluminum sleeve has no chance. That's the nice thing about king, american classic, wtb, and dt hubs. The engagement systems can't do that.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I know this is a problem while running the Maxle-light throughaxle. Something about the hub-axle not being supported properly...

Is that the case on your bikes?

And I've heard that the new ProII Evo will solve that problem...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I know this is a problem while running the Maxle-light throughaxle. Something about the hub-axle not being supported properly...

Is that the case on your bikes?

And I've heard that the new ProII Evo will solve that problem...
I have heard that. Makes sense. The big cutout would be right under the section of the hub axle in question.