Quantcast

How crowded do you think Crested Butte will be Labor Day weekend?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
A couple thoughts:
The place is geared to handle lot's of people in terms of accomodations. The times I went there I rented a condo on the ski mountain with friends. You can get a set up with kitchen so that you don't have to cocern yourself with going into town for meals,

The area is large; even when there's lot's of folks there, you get spread out pretty good on a ride day.

I've gone there over a fourth of july weekend, and it was pretty uncrowded.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yep - Labor Day could be a nice time to go. Hell, anytime is a nice time to go to the Butte. I rode up there on the Sunday of the Fat Tire Fest and hardly saw ANYONE on the trails. <shrug>

Maybe the Butte isn't "cool" anymore.......... I guess I can only hope that's true. :D

-S.S.-

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I might be up there again about that time, I want to do some riding this time. We did trail 401 a couple years ago but we were limited by time so we only did that one trail. Last time I was there (the 4th) I was sight seeing and shopping for doillies with the wife but I did get to do some hiking. There is a trail that skirts the wilderness area that I would like to try, this one starts NNE of Crested Butte mtn and goes way south of town, any of you know this one, and is it good? We'll be limited byt time (again) and I will probably be solo so would like to keep from getting too terribly far from civilization.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MikeOK said:
<snip> There is a trail that skirts the wilderness area that I would like to try, this one starts NNE of Crested Butte mtn and goes way south of town, any of you know this one, and is it good? We'll be limited byt time (again) and I will probably be solo so would like to keep from getting too terribly far from civilization.
:think: I'm not quite picturing what trail you might be talking about..... possibly Deer Creek? It ends kinda in Gothic (NNE of CBMR) and begins out by the Teocalli Ridge trailhead off Brush Creek Road. Deer Creek is a pretty long ride. And at the far point you are definitely pretty far from civilization.

Other good quick-ish rides: Upper to Upper-Upper, Farris Creek (if you park out at Brush Creek), Reno Ridge, Teocalli Ridge (again - if you park out at Brush Creek).

-S.S.-

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
The one I'm talking about starts between Gothic and Schofiled pass, then skirts the Maroon Bells/Snowmass WA and goes south to Gothic, then according to one map I have it goes all the way down SE of Crested Butte (town). I saw several mtn bikes around there while we were jeeping around the hills and it looked like a good day trip. A few of us were up there several years ago on a bike trip and from the locals the entire area sounded like the best place on the planet to ride, we just had one full day to ride though so we did trail 401.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll be back up there but I have a long weekend coming the first part of sept, if anybody is planning on being there maybe we can hook up. I'm a mid pack master II sport rider so pretty slow, would like to do DH but I sold my DH bike, not too much DH'ing in Oklahoma :dead: so I'm strictly XC.

Lord - pardon me fer hijacking yer thread...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MikeOK said:
The one I'm talking about starts between Gothic and Schofiled pass, then skirts the Maroon Bells/Snowmass WA and goes south to Gothic, then according to one map I have it goes all the way down SE of Crested Butte (town). I saw several mtn bikes around there while we were jeeping around the hills and it looked like a good day trip. A few of us were up there several years ago on a bike trip and from the locals the entire area sounded like the best place on the planet to ride, we just had one full day to ride though so we did trail 401.<snip>
:think: Ok - this sounds very much like 401 itself along with Deer Creek..... :think:

-S.S.-

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
SkaredShtles said:
:think: Ok - this sounds very much like 401 itself along with Deer Creek..... :think:

-S.S.-
Maybe the trail we rode was not 401, I know it was 4-something, maybe 411?

Anyway, it was a great trail, we turned east on a gravel road a few miles south of CB, then parked near a campground and climbed up a Jeep road for several miles before getting on single track. It ended going down a steep mountain with real tight singletrack switch backs, then a creek crossing, then the same gravel road we started on. Very cool trail.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MikeOK said:
Maybe the trail we rode was not 401, I know it was 4-something, maybe 411?

Anyway, it was a great trail, we turned east on a gravel road a few miles south of CB, then parked near a campground and climbed up a Jeep road for several miles before getting on single track. It ended going down a steep mountain with real tight singletrack switch backs, then a creek crossing, then the same gravel road we started on. Very cool trail.
Arghghghghgh. No wonder I was confused. That's the Reno Ridge Ride. That final section is called the "Deadman's Switchbacks." Morryjg, another buddy, and I are going to hit the Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman loop this Saturday, along with 409 and Upper/Upper Upper. :D

And it's easy to get the 4xx trails confused - there is 401, 402, 403, 409, 410, and 412....... and those are only the ones mentioned in most biking guides..

-S.S.-

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Deadman's hehe, those are aptly named. I remember accidentally slipping off the edge of one of those and doing an inadvertent shortcut. I knocked off all the scabs that I had from an earlier biff up at Winter Park. It was crazy, when we got back to the truck I wrapped all my boo-boo's up in gauze and got in the truck for a straight thru 18 hour overnight drive back to OK. When I got home the next day in a sleep depraived fog I looked down at the bloody dressing and honestly couldn't remember what had happened, I thought I was gonna die!

Anyway... I'm going to try to be at CB around labor day, probably that day and a couple more after so if anybody will be up there riding maybe we can catch a trail.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
SkaredShtles said:
Arghghghghgh. No wonder I was confused. That's the Reno Ridge Ride. That final section is called the "Deadman's Switchbacks." Morryjg, another buddy, and I are going to hit the Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman loop this Saturday, along with 409 and Upper/Upper Upper. :D

And it's easy to get the 4xx trails confused - there is 401, 402, 403, 409, 410, and 412....... and those are only the ones mentioned in most biking guides..

-S.S.-
Jeez, they should think of some real trails names up there. Ya know, like "Hells Gulch" or "Helter Skelter Trail". They need something more intimidating

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
These are "old trails" so to speak. The names reflect the times.
Do what I do; call them whatever you like!

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Renegade said:
These are "old trails" so to speak. The names reflect the times.
Do what I do; call them whatever you like!
Good point, that reminds me of the famous "My ass and back!" trail at moab (Amasa Back)

So is 401 trail the recommendation for a first ride at crested butte? Ive heard its incredible.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
It's a great ride for your first full day there. If you arrive at crested butte with just a couple hours left in the day, I recommend a trail called snodgrass. Close, short, and high quality. It could use a new name too!