Quantcast

How different are bike frames? Is upgrading worth it?

AadosX

Chimp
Feb 23, 2007
Hey guys,

First of all I know a little when it comes to mountain biking, but I'm still pretty much a noob. I just know that I love getting out there and doing it. For the longest time I've had an old Specialized Hardrock Comp FS (at least 8 years old)... well it just got stolen. My ride style is both mild urban around campus (stairs, very small flat drops, nothing huge) as well as some basic trail riding here in Alabama, again nothing extreme. I am in the market for a new bike, but I cannot yet afford what I want because I'm in college: a nice bike in the thousand dollar range. Basically what I want and what I think is more than well equipped for my skill level is a cross country style hardtail with deore drivetrain and at least decent shock (rockshox tora, etc.), some good mechanical or maybe hydraulic discs.

Anyways to the point... I have an opportunity to buy a 2004 Specialized Hardrock from a friend, but basically the components are trash compared to what I want.

What I really want from say Specialized is the top Rockhopper as far as componentry goes. How much different though are the frames? The older hardrock does have disc tabs. I am wondering if it would be worth it to get his bike and slowly upgrade it over time, or if that is a bad idea, and I should just save up and buy exactly what I want all at once.

I know that more or less everything on the bike needs to be upgraded, I would probably start with fork, then discs, then rear der, then wheels, etc.

BTW I weigh 165 and I'm 6'2''.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-John

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
last months MTB action had a great writeup about when to upgrade and when to buy a new bike.

the main point was: don't buy a bike and say I can upgrade later - you will end up spending a bunch of monkey you don't need to spend. Build bikes have better components because the buy in bulk and can sell them cheaper.

Example - you buy a bike with a fox 40 on it - you are only spending 900 for the fork

you buy the for later because you are upgrading or building from scratch. They fork would cost 1800

you get my drift.... save a little longer and get a bike with all the parts you want on it. you will be much happier in the long run.

Good luck

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Rockhopper is the more traditional XC frame and the Hardrock is more "aggro" frame.

The tubing is the same quality (designated by Specialized as A1, vs M4/M5 on the lighter weight Stumpjumpers), but the Hardrock is a beefier design.

One good thing if you are planning on upgrading is that the Hardrock frame is the same on every model, and there is little change from year to year. Same with the Rockhopper.

I prefer the Rockhopper but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. Both are going to be heavier than a lot of frames, but both should be very reliable.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
My advice would be to save up and get the bike you really want from the start. The upgrading game is the more expensive path to take.
For example on my bike I upgraded the handlebar, stem, seat post, saddle, brakes, bashie and the amount I've spend could have got me the next bike up in the range which would have had on top of all that a better fork, better wheelset, and probably a few other things as well.

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Keep in mind though, there are exceptions to the rule as far as piece by piece costing more...
craigslist, ebay, or classifieds in general can net some sweet deals, as can getting to know your LBSes and local riders...
every area has at least a couple guys who *need* to have the hot new gear, so are upgrading all the time... perfect opportunity to snag lightly used stuff.
Caveat being that you need to be OK with used stuff, but that doesnt seem to be a problem.