Quantcast

how do i get this off? and pics

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
i'm trying to swap forks on my ht and when i take the stem and top bolt off the fork still sits in there tight. i use a FSA pig headset and i believe this little piece is what is keeping it tight. i tried prying it off with a flathead and a knife and no luck. don't wanna mess it up but how can i get this thing off? also, some pics at the bottom. thanks and enjoy

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
alternate taping the bottom of the steerer tube and the top, hitting the bottom dislodges the compression ring and will allow the for to slide out.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
If the compression fitting is set correctly, the whole point is for it not to allow the fork to "fall" down through... Forcefully pounding on it can cause it to get stuck beyond anyone's belief.

USUALLY - however, all that is needed is a flathead, some plyers, and possibly a mallet to tap the steer/fork on the "up" direction... Oh, that and patients ;)

bbrz4

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
Perth, WA, Australia
i just turn my bike upside down, then lean the steerer tube on the gorund and the rest of the bike leaning on that then just hit the steerer down till it pops out... **** works

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
it came off the day after i posted this thread. flipped the bike upside down in the stand, smacked it from the bottom, then flipped it right side up and used a hammer and piece of plywood. unfortunately it came out a bit more abruptly then i thought but it worked. thanks