Quantcast

How do you keep from getting discouraged.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I've worked with kids, community organizers, churches, people dealing with housing issues, drug issues, public health issues, AIDS/HIV work, academics.
Chick Norris will not take any $hit from a suit.
You walk in there with you head held high knowing who you are and where you have been. Chances are that suit has not experienced half of what you have listed above.
Don't ever let some comb over in a suit that he probaly bought at a strip mall, intimidate you. Do you think that suit had the balls to get a haircut by fire? F*** No! You did.
I treat everyone the same from Freddie the fry flipper to the CEO of our top company. Respect everyone, but don't fear them.
We are all in the same club. We $hit and we stink.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Chick Norris will not take any $hit from a suit.
You walk in there with you head held high knowing who you are and where you have been. Chances are that suit has not experienced half of what you have listed above.
Don't ever let some comb over in a suit that he probaly bought at a strip mall, intimidate you. Do you think that suit had the balls to get a haircut by fire? F*** No! You did.
I treat everyone the same from Freddie the fry flipper to the CEO of our top company. Respect everyone, but don't fear them.
We are all in the same club. We $hit and we stink.
Hopefully one day I will be as old and wise as you. ;)

I'd rather get a fire hair cut every day than work in a cubicle.

And I do NOT stink!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You will know you need to take a break from interviews when you start cursing while being interviewed.

I got a lot of funny looks....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
As frustrated as you are finding a job as frustrated I am finding good employees. This week for the second time somebody I had offered a job in the lab didn't show up or gave me any information about change of plans. I have two jobs vacant at the moment.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Maybe the area you're living in doesn't offer enough of the positions you want/need.

Have you considered moving to a more "metropolitan" area?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
What it really boils down to is me being intimidated by professional life. I've worked with kids, community organizers, churches, people dealing with housing issues, drug issues, public health issues, AIDS/HIV work, academics. When I have to get dressed up to go to an interview and sit across from a suit, I'm uncomfortable, I don't like it. I don't handle HR questions well because they are stupid, they are not me and that is not my "scene". I'm probably just looking for jobs in all the wrong places. I'll never be a suit, no matter how hard I try, I imagine.
have your husband put on a three piece and yell "who's my applicant?" the next time you have sex. In your next interview you'll have a sh!t eAting grin, and they'll think you're cocky.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
As frustrated as you are finding a job as frustrated I am finding good employees. This week for the second time somebody I had offered a job in the lab didn't show up or gave me any information about change of plans. I have two jobs vacant at the moment.
I am willing to relocate to NY. :)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I am so going to try this!
That's actually good advice. Being relaxed in an interview is huge. Don't be hung up on nose rings or whatever - it's 2008... Try to make it as fun as possible, as those are the people others want to work with.

Edit:

I hate most people, but I'm a bit insane and I have fun and work hard so giving "great interview" has been easy for me...

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I drank a lot.
Then I took a job as it was the only thing close to what I do.
Now I am one unhappy white man.
Moving to Tahoe to teach boarding, ride my bike and play lawyer in a week and a half.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I drank a lot.
Then I took a job as it was the only thing close to what I do.
Now I am one unhappy white man.
Moving to Tahoe to teach boarding, ride my bike and play lawyer in a week and a half.
Eh, I tried the drinking a lot thing. It doesn't suit me too well. I fall down a lot.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I definitely know how you feel. I am stuck where I work for now and have been looking for a job closer to home. Unfortunately, I now am finding out that I have too much experience for many of the districts and have little chance of getting hired :rant: Maybe it's time for a career change for me!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well as someone who had a hell of a time finding work I'll admit I did get discouraged a lot. It seemed like no matter where I went I wasn't what they were looking for. I worked as a computer/network tech for 4 years out of school.......then quit as the boss I had was a crook, and then took 2 years off work (was WAY stressed out) and started to get back to looking. I tried for other computer jobs but no luck. Tried working for the USPS and that didn't work out. Tried stocking shelves at night.......which I'd never NEVER do again. Finally after hunting, searching, and applying I landed a job as a teller at a credit union a couple blocks away. The pay sucks (a year later it still does) but they have full medical/dental/vision benefits, and I walk to work. So while I may only get paid $11/hr, I'm not spending $3.43/gallon in gas to drive to work/drive home. I think it works out to be an ok deal.

Bottom line is keep looking. I know this job I have now is NOT what I want to do in life, but I have to have some $$$ coming in. I see so many rejects that work for the city/county and wondered how they lucked into having a government/city job that basically gives them years of work, pay scales decent, and a good retirement. I'll keep searching though.

Good Luck!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I know there are a few of you that had absolutely no issues finding jobs, I don't really care to hear from you. All of the leads I have had on jobs have either fallen through, are stringing me along, or are so backed up from the holidays that they just don't know anything right now. I am headed out to another interview this morning. I have become so discouraged that I don't even look forward to interviews anymore, simply assuming that I won't get the job. This really doesn't make it easy to make a good first impression. Those of you that looked for jobs forever, how did you keep from getting discouraged? Seriously this is getting old.
I really don't know what to say to you...I haven't been looking as long as you....only about 2 months and I keep hearing "over qualified" it sucks but I think when you do find the right job it will be perfect for you...until then keep the faith and know that you're not alone...:D

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Well, finally after 2 months of searching, having to sell a bike and a welder to make ends meet, the call I was hoping for came today. I applied at a rock quarry a month ago(not just any quarry, this is Hanson and they are world wide) and figured they had pretty much forgotten me. I left my initial interview feeling like they were'nt real interested in me and continued to look elswhere.

So this afternoon I get a call from a craigslist add I had responded to the other day. This was doing ceramic tile, and for not a whole lot of money, no benefits, retirement, etc. Merely a job to keep the wolves from the door. So I tell this really nice lady that, yes I would be happy to take the job. Not even 2 hours later, the rock quarry calls me...this job pays pretty damn good, full bennies,401k, retirement, paid vacations and holidays and a pretty standard 40 to 50 hour work week.

The thing that sucks is I sold my baby...My wife bought my Kona for me for my birthday and I hated to see it go, but as you may remember from my "can I ride this" thread that I still have a burly-ass hardtail that I am going to build and ride the livin shizz out of.

I hope you find something Laura, I know for a fact that there isn't anything worse than trying to sell yourself to what seems to be a fickle audience these days. These people can really take the wind out of your sails if you let them. Go for a bike ride, eat some good food, and keep a tight circle of friends like one I had this morning that said to me " Don't worry Tom...you're a smart guy and hard worker...you'll have a job in no time" Once again..Luck to you in your search.

what am i missing?> i did not see 'go ride'

i do contract work and typically have the next project lined up to go right into... the beginning of this month the corporation dropped the whole division. all the effort vaporized and i did not have the next gig lined up... worse i just made a huge payment to a creditor that i could have really used that cash to keep in my bank as long as possible

i am about to go spin right now while watching some training dvd's on the laptop about sql server and .net

exercise and schedule your search efforts...

but... um your field is a bit obscure... there is the point of take what ever is avail. in the past that would mean for me landscaping or cash construction... but then i started making a couple grand a week for a long time ... and well... now it is interesting the jobs i have to turn down so as not to slide into a whole...

the crazy thing is there are a slew of jobs for business intelligence systems designers with contract w2 dollars at 100$... if only i would relocate...

go ride

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm discouraged, but I shouldn't really complain. I've been looking for 2 years. I have a promising interview in 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes. I'm kind of lucky though, I currently have a full time open ended job with good beni's. etc., I've just been looking for the next step in my career...

As for your situation, I know you just moved to a new area so this may not work as well for you, but keep networking. I got my upcoming interview by networking with people I already knew. I just didn't know this one guy was looking to hire somebody in my field. I'm really hoping the "knowing somebody" card pays off. It's pretty much how I've gotten every other job I've had in the past, come to think of it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maybe you should stop being so negative. You have such an attitude on this website, I bet your inteviewers are picking up on that (even subconciously) and marking you down as "bitch" in the back of their minds. Try to play that down, even if it's not who you really are, and maybe the interviewer won't pick up on it. As for the HR questions, YOU HAVE TO ANSWER THEM. I'm sorry if it's not your thing, maybe flipping burgers is. HR people are totally useless, but they need to feel vindicated in what they do, so play ball. They control your future, and they'll let your resume "slip" to the bottom of the pile if they'd like to. Interviews aren't about you being you and your prospective employers "dealing" with it. Interviews are about your prospective employer looking for their ideal candidate. You may have to conform (gasp) before you can make your own rules.

If a company isn't telling you no, but isn't giving you the job either, then they really don't want to hire you, but they haven't found a suitable candidate either. You may still have a chance....but I don't know if it's worth it.

Also, try to focus on one specific area (where you live, or one place you want to move to). I used to send emails to everywhere I wanted to move to when I was looking for a job, and nothing came through. Then I focussed on one or two spots and something worked out. It wasn't my first choice either, but it ended up being the better one.

As far as not getting discouraged, try to occupy your time with your current hobbies and picking up a part time job isn't a bad idea either. It may be a good time to pick up a new hobby (as long as it doesn't cost much) as well.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Laura, You KNOW how tough it has been for me, especially with Contract engineering...

I know you have those days where you just walk around the house quiet and down, and you feel like the world hates your guts but, It will get better, I promise! Keep your chin up! :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Maybe you should stop being so negative. You have such an attitude on this website, I bet your inteviewers are picking up on that (even subconciously) and marking you down as "bitch" in the back of their minds. Try to play that down, even if it's not who you really are, and maybe the interviewer won't pick up on it. As for the HR questions, YOU HAVE TO ANSWER THEM. I'm sorry if it's not your thing, maybe flipping burgers is. HR people are totally useless, but they need to feel vindicated in what they do, so play ball. They control your future, and they'll let your resume "slip" to the bottom of the pile if they'd like to. Interviews aren't about you being you and your prospective employers "dealing" with it. Interviews are about your prospective employer looking for their ideal candidate. You may have to conform (gasp) before you can make your own rules.

If a company isn't telling you no, but isn't giving you the job either, then they really don't want to hire you, but they haven't found a suitable candidate either. You may still have a chance....but I don't know if it's worth it.

Also, try to focus on one specific area (where you live, or one place you want to move to). I used to send emails to everywhere I wanted to move to when I was looking for a job, and nothing came through. Then I focussed on one or two spots and something worked out. It wasn't my first choice either, but it ended up being the better one.

As far as not getting discouraged, try to occupy your time with your current hobbies and picking up a part time job isn't a bad idea either. It may be a good time to pick up a new hobby (as long as it doesn't cost much) as well.
Chill out, it's just the internet.

There are plenty of people (not flipping burgers) who have the job of their dreams and have never had to answer HR questions or wear suits. I'm young enough, talented enough, and optimistic enough to have faith that I am one of those people.

LOL.. i think that is what sandwich was saying... the way you just handled his attempt at being supportive with what is constructive criticism really.

It works this way, positive affirmation does do crazy good things.

click for sappy but good stuff here

it worked for me when i wanted a toyota landcruiser... then i found not only one land in my lap, but for 4k under book and i just had the cash to buy it... also worked for getting a really cool project with number a big player in the healthcare technologies world...

but it is the 'stupid' simple stuff ... that is the power of affirmation that i would say sandwhich was trying to say, and he was trying to be supportive and not trying to be a pony dick.

... I'm just sayin...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Chill out, it's just the internet.

There are plenty of people (not flipping burgers) who have the job of their dreams and have never had to answer HR questions or wear suits. I'm young enough, talented enough, and optimistic enough to have faith that I am one of those people.
LOL..it's just the internet :imstupid:

There are plenty of people who have their dream job...but MOST people aren't entirely satisfied. All I'm saying is put your best foot forward. Wear a suit to the interview even if you don't have to wear one at work. Act super confident and happy, even if you're having a sh!tty day. You want to make them think only good things..

Otherwise, patience is a virtue...took me about a year. I worked at a liqour store. THAT was a good way to kill time.