Quantcast

How far would you commute?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
a 'once per week in the actual office' job sounds too good to be true.
Well, I would like to try a compromise considering the current "never go to an office at all" arrangement. I know that I have been spoiled.

Moving is not an option that I am thinking about at all. If it was, I would have a whole lot more opportunities.

I had a manager once who commuted from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts. He stayed in an apartment during the week and saw his family on the weekends. Others have gone to similar lengths, but I am not that dedicated. I do want to get out of the job I am in for various reasons, and I am looking for something else before finding another job is no longer a choice but a necessity.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my dad works 55 miles away from my house each day he commutes about 120 miles (this includes stops coming home maybe driving out to lunch) he sits in nj traffic every morning for 2 hours going in and sometimes more coming home. he used to commute 100 miles one way. he enjoys his short commute. i have ridden to his office on my bike (taking backroads) and it tooks me about 80 miles.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
my dad works 55 miles away from my house each day he commutes about 120 miles (this includes stops coming home maybe driving out to lunch) he sits in nj traffic every morning for 2 hours going in and sometimes more coming home. he used to commute 100 miles one way. he enjoys his short commute. i have ridden to his office on my bike (taking backroads) and it tooks me about 80 miles.
Sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... :think:

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I mapped out the distance to this theoretical job site: 94 miles. Each way.

This could be accomplished via bus (most of the way), and the final bus stop would essentially be across the street from the job site.

It could also be a combination of driving and riding a train. Driving the entire route would be insane and the additional tolls would make it just plain wrong. This is the last place that you want to drive a car.

I am still hoping that I can convince them that having me come in once per week would be the best idea for me and them as well.

Why apply to a job that is such a pain to get to? Well, because it doesn't hurt. These days, you can apply online or by email: no waste of a stamp. You can interview by phone before even going onsite. You can always ask whether they have considered letting someone do the work from home. If they say "no", well then you move along to the next job. The problem only comes up when the job is one that you really want, that you think has a great future, that may pay well, and that makes you start to weigh your options.

There was one job that I was pursuing last summer. It would have entailed making a commute to an office two hours away, but only once per month. It would have paid me twice what I was currently making. It didn't work out, but it got me to keep looking for those types of opportunities that come along once in a while.

Then again, when you are working out of your home for four or five years, you start to lose touch with what it is like to have to travel to work each day. Sometimes I think that putting on pants and going out the door would be too much to deal with, and I put it into the same category as an hour commute. It helps to get a bit of perspective from others out there who have had to make choices based upon time, family, and money to determine how much they are willing to endure each and every day just to do their job and get a paycheck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow. 94 miles is much longer of a commute than i could tolerate. my personal goal is to always live within biking (or a single bus trip) distance from work. currently i'm 1.25 miles from one of the two hospitals i work at, and 3.3 miles/a 20 minute single shot bus trip from the other.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I just made a huge job change and honestly, I was nervous about it all summer, but I am feeling more and more confident with my decision as my first day of school approaches. For the past 9 years, I have worked 35 miles/55-60 minutes (with traffic) each way. I had lots of job security, very comfortable with my position (elementary & Middle school band), I set the majority of my own schedule, etc. I decided to leave my position for a weird position (HS Band & a few Elementary General music classes until I build my program to full time). I gave up 9 years of seniority and 80+ accumulated days (which was a payout of over $5k toward retirement). My new job is 10.2 miles/18 minutes each way and commutable by bike in 35 minutes. I still get to set the majority of my schedule, but I am down to low-woman on the seniority scale, lost my bank of days and am going to go through the tenure process again. Oh, and I took a $10k pay cut all to be closer to my home & daughter. At this point, I am thinking it's totally worth it to have an extra hour a day with my daughter (and the ability to commute by bike).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I just made a huge job change and honestly, I was nervous about it all summer, but I am feeling more and more confident with my decision as my first day of school approaches. For the past 9 years, I have worked 35 miles/55-60 minutes (with traffic) each way. I had lots of job security, very comfortable with my position (elementary & Middle school band), I set the majority of my own schedule, etc. I decided to leave my position for a weird position (HS Band & a few Elementary General music classes until I build my program to full time). I gave up 9 years of seniority and 80+ accumulated days (which was a payout of over $5k toward retirement). My new job is 10.2 miles/18 minutes each way and commutable by bike in 35 minutes. I still get to set the majority of my schedule, but I am down to low-woman on the seniority scale, lost my bank of days and am going to go through the tenure process again. Oh, and I took a $10k pay cut all to be closer to my home & daughter. At this point, I am thinking it's totally worth it to have an extra hour a day with my daughter (and the ability to commute by bike).
Sounds like you made the right choice! The second the clock strikes 4:30 (when I get off), my time is priceless. No amount of money could make me want to spend it driving an hour.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A short commute is easily worth 10K a year in lost time and gas, maybe more!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I currently drive 65 miles each way to and from work and I put another 200 or so under my arse riding in the abmulance all day.

could be one of the reasons I put my house up for sale and I'm looking at a place thats less than 15 miles [by bike] from the office

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
What about the wife. horses & Porsche???

My new commute is about 7 minutes. Suckas.

I currently drive 65 miles each way to and from work and I put another 200 or so under my arse riding in the abmulance all day.

could be one of the reasons I put my house up for sale and I'm looking at a place thats less than 15 miles [by bike] from the office