Quantcast

How fast have you gotten

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MancilG said:
How fast have you gotten on you road bike?

I just hit 59mph this past weekend
:eek: What were the conditions where/when you hit that?

my fastest was 52mph, but the funniest-fastest was 45mph... coming down the mountain when a harley rider pulls up along side of me and yells, "Dude, you're doing 45mph!" While his g/f gives the thumbs-up. I say "yup" with a smile, but think to myself, "yeah, uhh, can ya let me concentrate?" :D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Way back in the day, like when I was 16 I got my old Centurion over 60.

My mountain bike I haven't been able to get over 43 or so.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
That's enough for me.
It totally depends on the road.

When I broke 56 last summer it was on a freshly-paved section of back road. The pavement was damn near perfectly smooth and there is very little traffic on that road so I wasn't worried about cars... I just let it rip all the way down the hill. When the surface is smooth, you don't feel a thing, so 56 wasn't really that big of a deal. If I had carried some speed into it, I don't think 60 would have been too difficult.

On other roads that are either not as smooth or see more traffic, I am MUCH more hesitant.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wumpus said:
Mid 40's on my mtn bike on the road, but I haven't had a computer for over 10 years.
i've been faster on my mtb than i have on my rhode bike also. I cant remember the exact number because i dont actually 'track' it but it was upper 40's lower 50's coming off of Hermosa Creek back to DGO.

J

JRB

douglas said:
plus its pretty exciting to think, crash at 50plus and you are = :dead:
:stupid: smooth road or not, who knows what will happen. I have never been flying when I flatted, but it would suck if I ever had been.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
:stupid: smooth road or not, who knows what will happen. I have never been flying when I flatted, but it would suck if I ever had been.
perhaps... but you gotta weigh the odds. It would also suck to get hit by a car, but we take that chance every time out. I wouldn't get flying along on my bike if I didn't feel good about it.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
perhaps... but you gotta weigh the odds. It would also suck to get hit by a car, but we take that chance every time out. I wouldn't get flying along on my bike if I didn't feel good about it.
I do it, and have done it quite a bit, but since road bikes don't really stop, it has always scared me.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jacksonpt said:
we've had quite a rash of that lately.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I hit 52 a while back and it wasn't that bad.

I was more freaked out when I was bombing down a mountain road and turning a corner at about 30 and I blew a tire :dead:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
LordOpie said:

my fastest was 52mph, but the funniest-fastest was 45mph... coming down the mountain when a harley rider pulls up along side of me and yells, "Dude, you're doing 45mph!" While his g/f gives the thumbs-up. I say "yup" with a smile, but think to myself, "yeah, uhh, can ya let me concentrate?" :D
I was riding up in PA with some friends and we came to a great downhill section. I guess once I get my 200lbs moving I really get moving. Once we got to the bottom I checked my Max Speed and it was 59.

Blazing Fast.... I would love to hit 70

TahoeBC

Chimp
Apr 17, 2006
I've also hit 59 on a road bike during the Markleville Death ride.

47 on a mountain bike was way more scary though, though my eyes were going to get ratteled right out of my head.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:

Whenever I can, I try to pass Harleys. It has only happened twice, but I sprinted past them as hard as I possibly could, usually on a twisty descent, where a road bike has the advantage.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I hit 46.8 today on an average ride. I hit 44 and change on a section that I usually ride pretty fast, which got me thinking about this thread. The next hill I let myself go a bit more than I normally would, which is when I hit 46.8. The rest of the ride I worried about flatting mid-30mph-turn.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Wumpus said:
Found this article the other day -- Jobst Brandt on what causes shimmies and how to stop it with out dying.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shimmy.html

To stop a shimmy:
1) Touch a knee/leg to the top tube
2) Both legs to the top tube
3) Start pedaling(any rpm is suppose to do it)
This is how I downhill a fast descent.
I've hit 55 on a not-too-good road before (LO know's this stretch: Rabbit Ears Pass). And I'm not too sure how fast I got going on my DH bike before, but I totally got the "tunnel" in a straight-away at a ski area.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
loco said:
I've blown out at 35MPH before - no big deal; just a spit second of panic but no loss of control.

I've hit the mid 50s several times :thumb:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
A bunch of us were drafting a semi on this big long hill near Rossland, BC. At the bottom we checked out the top speed on our computers and it was 100 kph and a couple of decimal points. That's just over 62.5 mph. That was a bit scary, but once we got tucked in behind the semi, all you had to do was hold your line and hope he didn't get freaked and hit the brakes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That reminds me of almost crashing coming down Leggett Hill in NorCal.

I was touring from Seattle to SF, and 3 of us was behind a guy pulling a bob trailer. He normally went ahead of us on descents because of all the weight he was pulling. But Leggett, about 4500', was very winding, and he started veer over the double yellow on curves.

He came over the road lines at a blind turn, and a car almost hit him head on at 40mph. We were right behind him, and there would have been no way to avoid slamming into him or the car.

Luckily the driver was alert and swerved wide, and the rider with the trailer was able to miss the car. He rode down at 20mph the rest of way.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
TahoeBC said:
I've also hit 59 on a road bike during the Markleville Death ride.
I blew out my front tire hitting the first cow grate at the top of the descent down Monitor at about 35 mph. Keeping the bike upright until I could pull off to the side among all the folks bombing down the grade @ 50+mph was one of the greatest technical feats of riding I've ever pulled off. Angels were watching over me at that instant for sure.

Fastest I've ever done on a bike was 55 mph... drafting off a tandem. They cut a hole so huge into the wind I could have had a candle going and it wouldn't have gone out.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
cliffster5 said:
I blew out my front tire hitting the first cow grate at the top of the descent down Monitor at about 35 mph. Keeping the bike upright until I could pull off to the side among all the folks bombing down the grade @ 50+mph was one of the greatest technical feats of riding I've ever pulled off. Angels were watching over me at that instant for sure.
Eeek!

Cow grates are scary. We have one in the hills here that is in the middle of a turn on a 17 degree hill. The first time I hit that was right after a rain. I want to kill whoever installed it there.

I've gone fast enough to scare me and cause my wheels to shake uncontrollably. I don't think I'll go much faster. I didn't have a speedometer, but the guy I was drafting had one. He says I blew by him while he was going 50.

The Ito

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've hit 55 before on my mountain bike outfitted with 1" slicks. I usually hit 50 on the road bike, but since this is on a very twisty road you have to exit one corner fast and brake deep into another to get your speed up. I feel much more comfortable doing this on a mountain bike with good brakes wide bars and a bigger tire contact patch. People with bigger balls than I can approach 60 on this decent.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I've been 55mph on an MTB down the side of a slag heap. It's suprisingly hard to steer when you roll out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
49 mph on a Proflex 550 with 1" slicks and panniers, somewhere in the san juan islands (washington) :)

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
I've seen mid 50's on a single road bike and have also seen the "high-speed-wobbles" at over 50mph. Ugly. Fastest though was last summer coming down the Wachussett Mt access road on the tandem. 59mph and we were still accelerating. I braked a little for a "corner".

-Couch

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
High 50's. After 45 or so though I become really conscious of the fact that if something were to happen it would be REALLY bad.

Sidestory: one time me and my friend were going down the backside of this lake loop that has the last 2 miles straight downhill (not sure the grade, but its plenty).

Anyways, I was in the mid 40's range and all of a sudden I thought I heard something behind me. The windnoise was so great I doubt I could hear anything anyway, but I guess I wanted to check because my friend had never been on a roadbike before and we were flying at this point. So I turn my head to look behind and don't see anything, but the wind caught my sunglasses and basically put them sideways across my face. I am not really sure what was even holding them on, but the right earpiece was basically going parallell across both my eyes.

So instinctively I just reach up and try to adjust them back but going one handed at that speed was a terrible idea (had I been thinking I would have let the glass fall probably, but it was just a knee jerk reaction)....so the speed wobbles started instantly. My mind was thinking "ok well I wonder if my insurance is going to cover a skin graft" but somehow I got the glasses back on and got both hands back in position and was able to reel in the wobble. Never even touched the brakes...

It was pretty amazing, but I don't want to try it again. I would be lying if I didn't have that in the back of my mind everytime I break about 45 or so...