Quantcast

How long did it take you to manual?

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I've been trying to do manuals for a really long time and I still cant keep one for a long time! The longest time that I can stay on my balance point is for about 7-8 seconds max but always loose it....
I was wondering how long did it take some of you guys to get it dialed?
Any tips?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just keep practicing. Keep your butt low, push out with your feet, and learn to feather your back brake to maintain balance. It takes a while.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
About a year, but I sucked when I learned them. I practiced all the time though. 5 days a week I rode to work and like the whole time I practiced bunnyhops and manuals.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i still can't, nor do i really care to learn. sure is fun to watch though

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i learned in a day. its all about practice. i have a river in my town so i found a big bridge and said: im going to manual across this today.

and then by the end of the day i could manual for ever. if you can manual for more than 5 seconds then youre 75% there. just find some kind of obstacle to manual.

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
If you can wheelie pretty well, you can learn to manual in much less time. I found to just feather the rear brake and use your knees/hips to balance side to side. It also helps if you keep the front wheel spinning, you can counter balance and steer with it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i learned in a day. its all about practice. i have a river in my town so i found a big bridge and said: im going to manual across this today.

and then by the end of the day i could manual for ever. if you can manual for more than 5 seconds then youre 75% there. just find some kind of obstacle to manual.
This is what I did, I went to the skate park one day and said I was gonna manual the whole way across one of the platforms(about 40ft) it took about 30 mins but after the first time I did it, it only took two tries after that to get it again.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I am still not super happy with mine, I find the faster Iam going the easier they are. Till you crash of course... My room mate has a brakeless BMX that I mess around on if I want to try to dial in manuals. There so much smoother on my DH bike after trying them on a BMX. Took well over a year to get smooth (no brake/pedal input ) manuals for more then a few seconds.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i found riding a unicycle helped. i'm still not good at it and i've been trying for years. keep your butt low (as mentioned above) and keep your eyes ahead. don't fall into the bad habit i have of looking at the front wheel to see how high you have it.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If your trying to manual with dual suspension... its a lot harder. Hardtails are the best. You barely need to use the brakes (I don't at all) and kicking is definetly almost the most important part.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I think its pretty important. specially if you do 4x or DJ. Ive seen it being used on DH. Im pretty sure all DH pros know how to hold a manual and probably take advantage of that.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Manualing is the foundation for a ton of moves, not just riding street either. Take the time to learn them and they will improve many aspects of your riding.

It will take time, maybe years.... HTs are where its at, and the less you rely on rear brakes the better.

Plus hops up ledges to manuals are fun.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It took me about a year to really figure out how to manual. Wheelies took only a few months, and are really important in learning the balance point.

Having some sort of goal to wheelie to, like the bridge mentioned earlier, was how I figured things out. A parking lot works well. Stay relaxed, and practice EVERY DAY. You'll get it.
p.s. If you need motivation, the last 45 seconds of this movie are a manual. < http://bicycleweed.com/Lost_med.htm >

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
I've been trying them for a year or more now... I guess not seriously enough to get them down, but I'm progressing.

I can't wheelie at ALL, but I can manual for about 5-10 feet on average. If I'm lucky maybe 20.

I suspect if I could wheelie it would've been a lot easier to learn manuals.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmmm, I'm not bad - I manual a lot of things on DH courses, but never for a huge distance I guess, 10ft maybe. I've never got them down so I can just go and go like you see riders on vids doing. Having watched that vid I'm fired up to give it a go now, would be pretty satisfying I bet.