Quantcast

How many hours a week do you train?

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
I'm curious how many hours a week is required to stay in shape for racing in sport class?

Is 2 long weekend rides and 2 2hr rides during the week enough?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Like everything in racing....it depends.

Do you do any sprints and intervals? Do you do any hill workouts? Are you training for long distance?

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Man I ride way too much!

I live on top of a mountain ( I really mean on top) so If I leave my neighor hood and go down into the valley I have at least a 3.6km hill to do if I want to get home if I and its not un common for me to ride 15 k to my moms work on weekdays ( its for the most part flat with some mini climbs) then theres a 12km road climb that I have only done once and my legs/ lungs and heart nearly exploded. ( I must do it again)

lately Ive been pedaling at about 100rpm (pedaling faster and in a lower gear than normal) for the whole 15km on some days ( I started out by doing 100rpm for 1k then after a few days 3k then 5k, then 10, ect...

What are these sprints you speak of heidi?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
UM i ride about 50km a day i bike all the way up Mt Rigaud it's an ok sized ski hill. I do that every day i'll ride it really fast so i'm in pain the whole way than the next day i go reall y slow to recover and than i also do some really tyechnicle trails that use alot of trials skills to get through them.

Henkman

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Bedford, Nova Scotia
Topaz,
You should go to a few races and see how you do. You get a lot better idea about your state of fitness when you can guage yourself against other racers.
I have read that 5-7 hrs a week will allow most people to reach 90% of their potential. A couple of hard sessions, a long slow ride and some recovery riding should do the trick.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Originally posted by Henkman
Topaz,
You should go to a few races and see how you do. You get a lot better idea about your state of fitness when you can guage yourself against other racers.
I've been racing beginner and I'll probably move up to sport after my next race this weekend. Up to this point I haven't done any structured riding. I just go out for fun but I do enjoy pushing myself. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to be competitive in sport class.

Raynaldo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
West LA
I think it depends Topaz. I think what is most important is to discover what your base is. Then work on that. I have been reading(not practicing necesarily) the Cyclists Training Bible.
They have a lot of cool shiat in there. They break down training into 6 overlapping areas. Kind of gives a you different outlook. I used to just hammer whenever on the bike until i was dead, or if I didn't feel that way then I thought I wasn't training hard enough.
I am no expert, but overtraining is a common symptom. Some of the posts reflect that. I am doing BB this week myself(Sport XC) and I am letting up, but I usually ride about 5 days a week between 1-1/2 to 4hrs. It depends how i feel to. When in doubt, chill out.
Don't forget, the top 2 finishers are usually sandbaggers. They should be racing in a harder class. Keep that in mind if you are going by times.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I ride to and from work twice a week, which is 21km each way. On the way into work I ride pretty laid back, to avoid sweating too much for the workday of course (I bring a change of clothes and deoderant, but no shower at work!). But on the way home I do some rather informal intervals. What I do is pick 2 landmarks, about a hundred feet apart. Starting at the first landmark, I pump as hard as I can sitting down, and don't let off until the second landmark is reached. Then I pick another one a few hundred feet ahead and repeat... and do that 6 to 8 times on the way home. Also, the last 2.2km of my journey home consists of a rather steep hill, because I too live on a mountain :(