Quantcast

How to Adjust Disk Brakes?

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
I just picked up my 06 Ironhorse to start riding with, and i think im past the breakin period and my brakes dont seem to grab as well as my V-brakes do on my hybrid cruiser (Giant). Is there a way to adjust stopping power, and also how to adjust the point at which the brakes grab. Right now im pulling almost fully to the bar before they engage, and i'd like them to start engaging right away. I know i can twist the thing that comes out of the Brake Handle, but that only gives me so much adjustment.

Sorry for the lack of 'proper' terms im just starting out, but i need all the :help: i can get. Thanks in advance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Domin8stang said:
I just picked up my 06 Ironhorse to start riding with, and i think im past the breakin period and my brakes dont seem to grab as well as my V-brakes do on my hybrid cruiser (Giant). Is there a way to adjust stopping power, and also how to adjust the point at which the brakes grab. Right now im pulling almost fully to the bar before they engage, and i'd like them to start engaging right away. I know i can twist the thing that comes out of the Brake Handle, but that only gives me so much adjustment.

Sorry for the lack of 'proper' terms im just starting out, but i need all the :help: i can get. Thanks in advance.
Probably be helpful to mention what kind of brakes you have. They are all not the same.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
o heres what i nabbed off their website:

# Front Derailleur - SHIMANO FD-C050
# Rear Derailleur - SHIMANO ALIVIO
# Shifter - SHIMANO ALIVIO RAPIDFIRE
# Cassette - SHIMANO HG-30, 12/32T, 8 SPEED
# Brakes - HAYES MX2 MECHANICAL DISC W/ 6" ROTOR
# Brake Lever - TEKTRO ALLOY
# Rim - WTB DX23

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
take the barrel adj. on the lever and turn it all the way in,then unscrew it about a turn or two,then take a credit card and slip it in the calliper. adjust the cable,and tighten. if your rotor wont slip into the calliper. give the barrel adj on your lever a few turns in. eventually you'll get the nice lever action,your looking for

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
mechanicals are easily adjustable, though don't usually offer the stopping power of a good set of hydraulics.

Make sure the rotors/pads are good and clean and use the barrel adjuster on the brake levers to adjust the cables. It'll take some playing with, but you should be able to get it dialed in pretty well.

BTW, from my experience, disks don't offer significantly more stopping power than a good set of vbrakes under most conditions. The big advantage is when the brakes get wet. Moisture has little effect on disks, but can render v brakes all but useless.

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
First, wind your barrel adjusters (the screws on your brake lever where the cable comes out) all the way in to the lever.

Next, examine your caliper (the actual brake) and learn how it works. There are 2 allen bolts that, when loosened enough, will allow you to position your caliper relative to the rotor (ie, closer/farther). Loosen these bolts, then adjust the caliper such that the brake pad on the caliper-side is as close to the rotor as possible without touching. Now re-tighten the bolts to hold it in place.

On the opposite side of the caliper, there should be a sprung allen bolt that moves that pad closer/farther from the rotor. Tighten that bolt, moving the pad inward toward rotor, as far as you can without it touching the rotor.

Tighten the brake cable at the caliper, adjusting it such that neither brake pad is touching the rotor. Get it as close as you can, though.

Now try 'em. They might feel a little loose, yet. That's when your barrel adjusters come in. Wind the adjusters outward until you have a real' nice tension on the cable.

You could also try bending the levers outwards a little for a bit more leverage. Oh, and yea...rubbing alcohol for those rotors. Go to the first aid section of your local supermarket and pick up a box of individually wrapped alcohol pads.