Quantcast

How to build up a fall guy cheaply

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I love the tonic fall guy's but they are so expensive, so before I decide to buy a frame I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to build one up as cheaply as possible while still being strong, reliable, and not awkward. Thanks!

p.s. i definitely want a suspension fork, no rigids for me. oh and i wil lprobably just use my bars, stem grips, and seat on my current bike if the seatpost will fit the frame

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Find a used fork, maybe a fox 80.
If you want good/inexpensive drive line try the madera stuff from profile, but there are tons of alternatives here.

Seat post is a 26.8mm.

You will probably build wheels though, and this is never cheap. The reason is because youll use a 'mtb' 20mm or QR front hub and a 'bmx' 14mm/110 spacing rear hub, and im not aware of any sets that come built with this set up. That being said, the sun XLs in 24 inch arnt expensive, but youll end up buying spokes and paying to have someone build them if you cant....

hope that helps!

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Get a used crankset. To get a kickass crank new, you've really gotta fork up the dough (for example, a holzfeller is around 200 USD new). Get used hubs too. Good hubs are real dough hogs as well. Someone already said used fork, so that pretty much leaves you with the less expensive stuff to worry about new. I'd recommend something along the profile of an Avid Single Digit SL or 7 rim brake, because they're much less pricey than a Single Digit Ultimate (not that I'm suggesting you spend the money to get one, if you wanted all out on rim brake I'd say go Magura hydraulic) and will serve you just fine for DJ urban. I had real cheap linear pull rim brakes on what I used to DJ on, and they stopped great (I think specialized made them). So imagine how much better somethng by Avid would work.

Anyway, those new aren't more than about 60 USD for a setup minus the lever, compared to the 100 USD for the ultimate.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Hang out in Portland , follow Landon around and when he goes into the coffee shop ... buy him a cup and as he is distracted by your act of kindness ..... steal his bike and ride away laughing .

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Hang out in Portland , follow Landon around and when he goes into the coffee shop ... buy him a cup and as he is distracted by your act of kindness ..... steal his bike and ride away laughing .
well that is only three and a half hours away. so about $70 in the astro van....

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
hokay so, i have a 04DJ2 with QR dropouts, that i lowered, ill sell er to you for 60 shipped.

haha i haven't even bought the frame yet. i'm seein if its worth it. okay well i have enough money for my dream build but i want to save some for when i go to college so i don't have to work as much while in school

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just buy a mid to cheap freeride bike off E-Bay and populate the new frame. Then you can start to part out the bits you don't like.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
so it says the frame comes w/ a bb and headset. so all i'd need would be the crank arms, right?
No. You'll need the spindle, arms, and bolts still.

I'm building one and have found it's more expensive than I thought it would be.

However, if I would have planned it out better it would have been cheaper.

Some tidbits I recommend for bang/buck:

-Profile Madera 175mm American BB cranks. Don't use the cup and you've got a spare set of bearings.

-Shimano Deore V-brake w/ Koolstop pad. Cheeeeep and good.

-Diatech/Marzocchi/etc. front hub if you go 20mm.

-Odyssey Hazard rear hub. Decently priced and nice.

-Sun Rhyno Lite XLs. Good price, great rim.

-14g spokes and brass nips. Make it Wheelsmith or DT. It's worth it.

-Whatever pedals/bars/stem/grips/post/seat/brake lever. They don't really matter

-For tires, look for Specialized Compounds or Kenda Kniptons for street or Kenda K-rads or Maxxis Holy Rollers for DJ/street.

If you've got any more questions drop me a line, I may be of use.

PS decide whether you want a QR or 20mm fork (or if it even matters) soon so you can plan the build. Also, microdrive is nice but expensive and a hassle because of buying and installing one piece drivers. Just regular ol gearing may offer more bang for your buck.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
not sure about other there. but im in asia. i build it up for around 1.5k usd i think so or lower cant remember

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
well that is only three and a half hours away. so about $70 in the astro van....
You did say cheep not legal :huh: J/K LOL
Landon's a great guy , dont steal his bike .... I really wasent serious.

I'm sure once you get your frame you will be able to dig up a mix of used bmx and mtb parts pretty easily and get it rolling .

I think Landon also does frame kit's with a fork and seatpost :clapping: this might be a quicker route to getting everything you need .

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy.

The good news is that a lot of cheap parts work pretty well. The majority of my bikes over the years have been built with some pretty modest stuff. I definately rocked a budget build on my FG for a long time. I've upgraded some parts because of a few genuine failures, but mostly just because "Damn Thomson stuff looks good!"

One good way to build a FG up cheaply is to get a used BMX cruiser and use that for wheels/cranks/brakes. Run hat washers in the FG's DOs to be able to use a 3/8" axle. If you can get a decent used bike for under 3 bills, then it makes sense.

Bars/stem....more used stuff. Not too used on the bars I hope!

For a fork...

Get a used fork and lower it. I believe there are instructions here or on some other website with instructions of how to do this to Manitou and Marzoocchi forks. I ran a lowered Marz. on my FG for quite a while. Be careful with forks. I would only buy a verifiablely lightly used fork.

We do sell fame/fork/seatpost kits, which are a good value compared to buying all new stuff, but finding some good deals used is probably going to be cheaper.

L

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Howdy.

The good news is that a lot of cheap parts work pretty well. The majority of my bikes over the years have been built with some pretty modest stuff. I definately rocked a budget build on my FG for a long time. I've upgraded some parts because of a few genuine failures, but mostly just because "Damn Thomson stuff looks good!"

One good way to build a FG up cheaply is to get a used BMX cruiser and use that for wheels/cranks/brakes. Run hat washers in the FG's DOs to be able to use a 3/8" axle. If you can get a decent used bike for under 3 bills, then it makes sense.

Bars/stem....more used stuff. Not too used on the bars I hope!

For a fork...

Get a used fork and lower it. I believe there are instructions here or on some other website with instructions of how to do this to Manitou and Marzoocchi forks. I ran a lowered Marz. on my FG for quite a while. Be careful with forks. I would only buy a verifiablely lightly used fork.

We do sell fame/fork/seatpost kits, which are a good value compared to buying all new stuff, but finding some good deals used is probably going to be cheaper.

L
wait what forks will fit a bmx front hub?

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
wait what forks will fit a bmx front hub?
dmr trailblade 2 rigid makes a 14mm. or if its 3/8 inch you can use QR. i have one on my 243 in 20mm its stiffer than a priest at a daycare center and beefy. nosed in on an over rail gap yesterday and went 5 feet down to flat on the front wheel:bonk: :bonk:

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
dmr trailblade 2 rigid makes a 14mm. or if its 3/8 inch you can use QR. i have one on my 243 in 20mm its stiffer than a priest at a daycare center and beefy. nosed in on an over rail gap yesterday and went 5 feet down to flat on the front wheel:bonk: :bonk:
well if i wanted a rigid fork i would probably just get a cruiser

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
just buy the frame and ebay the rest, if you arnt picky about the parts just aslong as they'll hold up im sure u could get all your parts for a about 1300 usd
1300 is way too much for parts alone:eek:
at this point i'm considering just getting a dmr transition since its cheaper and easier to deal with the wheels since it has disc tabs and whatnot