Quantcast

How to convert hardrock

enigma102

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hey guys i am pretty new to bikes, i have a hardrock sport and its my first "real" bike. I am sick and tired of going off jumps and my chain coming off on the landing and my deraileurs screwing up. i am wondering if the hardrock is a good bike to convert and more importantly, how! I mostly ride on homemade dirt tracks and basically just the usually wheelies and i jump off whatever i can find.
Help would be greatly appreciated!

enigma102

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
thats cool, but i have no idea what it is. Where does it go, what does it do. Excuse my noobyness:bonk:

Thanks for the idea, sounds exactly what im looking for, but another thig is my deraileurs always get out of whack, is there anyway to fix this? like i want to go into 3rd gear on the front but it only goes up to second. And theres all kinds of rubbing going on
O and it also seems like the STS wouldbe better for me, as i do bash into unmovable objects (rocks) But then again i have no idea what im talking about

I was was also wondering, is it possible to only have one chainring in the front? That would be awesome, that and a bashguard.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
It sounds like you need to get your bike looked at by a shop. It's probably a simple tension adjustment for the cables, but they'd be able to tell you really easily.

The e.13 STS is a single front chainring setup. I have one, and it's great. Just remember, for the Hardrock you will need to get an E-type bottom bracket (the thing the cranks spin on) so you can mount the adaptor that holds the chainguide. Sorry, I went a little tech on ya.

enigma102

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Ok so today i was riding around and what do you know, my rear deraleur snapped. I was actaully happy now that i can do something like 9 speed or single speed conversion.

So i was wondering if anyone can hook me up with links to all the stuff i would need to make it a single speed.

But now i am thinking about a 9 speed, but then i would still have to deal with the rear deraileur, the only gears i use are, 1,4 and 8.

I really only want one gear infront with a bash guard and possibly a chain guide. But i dont know if i wanna still use a rear deraileur if i made it a 9 speed. hmm

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
well if you want a single speed, there really is no need for a chain guide, cause the chain wont have enough tension to fall off if set up correctly. A chain guide goes on the front ring and keeps the chain on the front chain ring. You could get a single ring front and a 9 or 8 speed in the back (whatever you prefer) and the single ring security (SRS) will almost guarantee that your chain won't come off (if set up properly)

as far as links, for a single speed kit
http://pricepoint.com/detail/13456-220_GUS1C4-3-Parts-51-Cassettes/Gusset-1-ER-Single-Speed-Conversion-Kit.htm

and for a chain

http://pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=14075&style_id=070 SRAP15&detailName=2005 Sram PC-1 Single Speed Chain&dept_id=3&deptName=Parts&sub_id=51&subName=Cassettes&lprice=7.98&hprice=7.98

enigma102

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
ok ya thats the kit i was gonna get, i guess ill grab that chain too. But i also need a tensioner dont i? And what do i use as a spacer for the front gear

enigma102

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
o thats cool, im using a chain tensioner and my biggest sprocket as a ghetto bash guard lol. Im cheap, well i ordered all i need tonight except for the chain. I hope the bike shop doesnt make me pay unreasonably high for them to install the stuff =(. i dont have any of the required tools, it sucks. they told me it would cost me like $200 for them to convert my bike to ss. I was like.....bull ****.

Jul 8, 2006
Kirkland
Sweet i've been thinking about converting to singlespeed also. i have a hardrock in my storage and i want to put it to use. Also, where i live (kirkland) it's mostly urban so hardtail works best.

bigboognish

Chimp
Oct 16, 2006
100 dollars for a conversion huh? just leave your cassette on, and get a cheapo tensioner that is all you need. save a little cash for buying spacers and ring bolts for later(which are super cheap anyway). just get yourself a chaintool and have at it.