Quantcast

how to fix? iTunes RUINED my mp3 collection!! (semi-rant)

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I have about 30 odd gigs of music. It was wonderfull. All great quality, and organized extremely well. Most songs had id3 tags. I had it organized as such

Music > Artist > Album Name > Artist-Album-track#-song title.

I downloaded iTunes to play with it and see how I liked it before my iPod arrives. I used iTunes import a couple CD's as mp3's. It did ok. Didn't like the way it makes you name them(actual file name does not contain artist or album title).

Here is where the problem started. It was listing all my music that I imported into 'my Library' in the source box. I thought.. eh cool. I can now browse my entire collection - or atleast the cd's I imported thus far. I imported my entire music collection to my library. Little dialog box pops up showing progress and what not, takes a couple minutes. Everything looks good in iTunes.

Now the problem -It killed the organization in my music folder. Not sure how to explain it but... Whenever a song would have another artist on it, or was a compilation album, or a live set. It would creat a new artist and album folder for that song. iTunes also renamed all the files names to the iTunes naming sequence(without artist/album/track names). I used to have one Rollign Stones artist folder. I now have 16, and most of the cd's and bootlegs are completely out of order to the point I cannot figure out how to put them back together.

All my music is on a seperate drive(lost it all once in a OS crash) I can't think of anyway of reversing this.

Any programs out there that can sort mass music and don't suck? Any help or ideas would be great, this has ruined my day and closing in on the week so far.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Oooh, way sh!tty man. iTunes has an option that will automatically organize your designated music folder. You can turn it off, but apparently the default setting is "on". My best advice is to label your music via iTunes and just get used to the way iTunes automatically sorts your music. I have to wonder, however, why you have 16 folders for one artist. :confused: As long as all your artist and album names are consistent, it should group the files very nicely. I personally am a fan of the auto organizing feature. If you right-click on a song in iTunes and click "get info", then click the tab up top that says "info", there is a box at the bottom you can check that says "part of a compilation". This changes the organization by putting all compilation albums into a folder titled "compilations" instead of sorting in folders by artist.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
If they are listed in CDDB (and many bootlegs are), you should try a program like Helium2, which is a tagger/file renamer, in addition to lots of other features. Lots of my bootlegs are listed in the CDDB, so you might luck out as well.

Also, if your mp3s had Id3 tags, it will be a piece of cake to sort them out, you can rename them automatically from tags to files. And you can specify the file name options, so they will be sorted and named however you prefer.

I think the shareware version will limit you to a certain number of tracks at once. I do not condone the use of readily available patches/cracks. :nope: Despite what this smilie implies: ;)

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Yeah, throw that site in the Random Site Thread so more people can see it. Anyway, let's get this thread back on topic so this guy can get his songs sorted.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Helium 2 is crazy. I can't seem to import files to a db. Just need to keep playing with it. It has crashed twice, leaving me with only 12 tries.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have i tunes on my macs and well... I dont like the automatic filing either, over time I have customized it but still when I download a CD is puts it into a folder of its choosing and then I have to go change it :angry:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
That's Ebonics. You're not allowed to bust me for that....... :eviltongu

-S.S.-

Ebonics was not created from typos holmes. Nice try though. :thumb: