Quantcast

How to remove this decal...?

May 16, 2013
I got this bike for a great deal at a city auction but I'd like to change or just take off the decals because these were once police bikes. I thought I'd just go about it by soaking in adhesive remover but now that I've taken a closer look I'm not sure that's gonna work. The edge of the decal can be seen but can't be felt when you rub a finger over it. I think some kind of clear coat was applied after the decal was put on.

Anybody know something about this?

bike.JPG

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Heat it up with a torch until it is glowing. The Japanese call it Shou sugi ban. The stickers will peel right off at that point. If you use your bathtub as a quench tank. Make sure it's not a plastic tub.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look at that, you're the only person to offer useful info, well done you.

Ooh, a flying pig.
I'm a wealth of knowledge. I just need to be convinced someone or something is worth it.

and making anything a cop used into a useful piece of machinery after the depths of human hell it came from is worth it :)

now let's talk about those auctions where the public pays for a piece of machinery like a mountainbike for a cop, and then they for some reason expect the public to pay for it again to benefit the public....

Last edited:
May 16, 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm almost positive now the decal has a clear coat on top of it so I'm just gonna prep and give the lowers a thrice over with a rattle can of satin black.

Any suggestions for a good paint brand or just in general for doing this?

May 16, 2013
Ok I've decided. I'm gonna sand the whole frame down with 800 grit, and then what? I'm gonna paint the whole thing myself but I'm not sure what kind / brand paint to use. I'd like for it to be more durable than whatever comes in those cans at Home Depot. Do I need to head down to the local auto paint store? I don't mind buying a new paint gun if I have to. Should I be looking at using an enamel?

edit: Just got word back from my bike mechanic buddy and he said he's used Rustoleum metal paint in a rattle can followed by a clear and it's held up for him really well. Says the paint has come a long way, so maybe. Any advice along this direction? Seems like it'd certainly be the cheapest, and that's good with me.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ok I've decided. I'm gonna sand the whole frame down with 800 grit, and then what? I'm gonna paint the whole thing myself but I'm not sure what kind / brand paint to use. I'd like for it to be more durable than whatever comes in those cans at Home Depot. Do I need to head down to the local auto paint store? I don't mind buying a new paint gun if I have to. Should I be looking at using an enamel?
1694647566911.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

edit: Just got word back from my bike mechanic buddy and he said he's used Rustoleum metal paint in a rattle can followed by a clear and it's held up for him really well. Says the paint has come a long way, so maybe. Any advice along this direction? Seems like it'd certainly be the cheapest, and that's good with me.
Strip all the parts off and call a powdercoater to see what they charge for sandblasting. Sometimes it's worth it.

Removing "police" from anything is always worth it in a financial, emotional, and time efficiency sense