Quantcast

How to ride illegally in Marin

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Mike Vandeman, convicted of assaulting a rider with a saw blade when confronted while sabotaging a trail.

Yeah mid pen and their radar guns suck. East Bay regional is a bit better but luckily we have shit loads of BLM and NFS lands to go play as we wish on (until herr Twittler sells them off to a cronie) .

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fuck California from what I have seen so far. Mud and rangers giving speeding tickets for over 15 MPH.
To be honest, that's not California, that's like saying NY City or Dallas Ft Worth is indicative of the entire state. What you have are a bunch of people in the Bay Area crammed into a finite amount of space all trying to use the same land, all trapped there because the traffic and access is so bad that going up to Tahoe or anywhere semi-secluded means days or weeks of your life in the car in a given year. It's not practical to go much further just due to how congested, which creates a barrier to leaving. I hear Mendocino County has some decent riding and isn't too bad to get to for some Bay Area locations...for now, but I wouldn't want to live in the Bay Area in a million years. Plenty of good places in Nor Cal that I'd consider though.

To be honest, that's not California, that's like saying NY City or Dallas Ft Worth is indicative of the entire state. What you have are a bunch of people in the Bay Area crammed into a finite amount of space all trying to use the same land, all trapped there because the traffic and access is so bad that going up to Tahoe or anywhere semi-secluded means days or weeks of your life in the car in a given year. It's not practical to go much further just due to how congested, which creates a barrier to leaving. I hear Mendocino County has some decent riding and isn't too bad to get to for some Bay Area locations...for now, but I wouldn't want to live in the Bay Area in a million years. Plenty of good places in Nor Cal that I'd consider though.
Noted; my only experience is in the belly of the beast.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Dumb shits running from the cops! Wonder what they were trying to hide? Maybe they had been letting their scales hang out and had to zip the skin suit back up...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
lol dentists

Spent Saturday getting fresh loam in Oakland (Joaquin Miller Park) and spent a few hours at the DJ park Saturday with the gf (Pleasanton BMX Track). Anyone who thinks riding in the bay sucks isn't doing it right. Or is just paying the price for being fancy enough to live with the monocle folks out in Marin.

Oh and I can get to Santa Cruz in about 1.5 hour if I want to make a day of something.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Go to your local trail. Imagine your riding in Marin. Ride real fast and imagine rangers hiding everywhere. When you're done load your bike really fast and get the fuck out of there. On the way home drive really slow like there is a lot of traffic. Stop off at Panera bread and pretend it is a fancy Sauasalito cafe. Give the cashier an extra $10 for your meal to compensate for what it would have cost in Sausalito. Visit your local Trek store and pretend it is the Mountain Bike hall of fame. Pretend when you get home you paid 3 million for your 2 bedroom bungalow. When you want dinner call Dominoes and order a Glutenfree vegan pizza. When they tell you they don't have Gluten free vegan pizzas, argue with them vehemently that they do and then order the Ham and Pineapple instead. Do not tip the driver.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
lol dentists

Spent Saturday getting fresh loam in Oakland (Joaquin Miller Park) and spent a few hours at the DJ park Saturday with the gf (Pleasanton BMX Track). Anyone who thinks riding in the bay sucks isn't doing it right. Or is just paying the price for being fancy enough to live with the monocle folks out in Marin.

Oh and I can get to Santa Cruz in about 1.5 hour if I want to make a day of something.
The riding is just fine. The traffic, bridge tolls, etc...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mike Vandeman, convicted of assaulting a rider with a saw blade when confronted while sabotaging a trail.

Yeah mid pen and their radar guns suck. East Bay regional is a bit better but luckily we have shit loads of BLM and NFS lands to go play as we wish on (until herr Twittler sells them off to a cronie) .
Ah... the trail Nazi. How I do miss interacting with him/s

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Fire roads mostly. A few single tracks here and there.

Tamarancho is really fun but it's on private land owned by the Boy Scouts. Bunch of single track and a flow trail but you gotta pay (or be a dick and poach) to ride.
Tamarancho is one of the best places I rode whenever I was in Marin/Bay Area for LUNA summits. China Camp is decent too (fast, flow). Everything else we rode (Mt. Tam & Tennessee Valley) was predominately fire roads.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Tamarancho is one of the best places I rode whenever I was in Marin/Bay Area for LUNA summits. China Camp is decent too (fast, flow). Everything else we rode (Mt. Tam & Tennessee Valley) was predominately fire roads.
Despite it's history Marin has very little good riding compared to other places in the bay.