Quantcast

How to stop the Juicy Squeal?

Oct 8, 2003
So the rotors have been clean very good with 91% isopropyl. The pads are clean as well. The brakes work fine just the front squeals horribly. Just wondering what can be done about this. I heard of facing the paint off of the fork mounts?
Thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Put a slight chamfer on all the edges of the rotor that contact the pad.
You can use a die grinder with a carbide bit of a dremel or some good silicon carbide sandpaper.

Oct 8, 2003
They are 07 Juicy 5s with G2 rotors. How do you properly align the calipers? I have heard so many diffrent ways. The rotors are like new and the pads are hardley broken in so I didnt really want to buy new pads. They also like I said have plenty of power so I dont think the pads to be contaminated. I know alot of people complain about the juicys making alot of noise but I love them just need to get the front to stop making so much noise. I have 05 juicy 5s on another bike and even have the polygone rotors and they have never made any noise. I figure It must be something with the way I set the caliper but am just not sure how to do it right.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
1) slightly loosen then bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter
2) squeeze the brake
3) tighten the bolts while the brake is still held tight.
4) do a visual inspection to make sure the pads are parallel to the rotor.

There is a better explaination at www.sram.com in the tech section

pinangkia

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Penang,Malaysia
yes..i also have same problem with my Avid Code on my Trek Session10.mine only squeal at the rear,i had try to change the pad and rotor from front to rear.it still didn't gone away,i had try clean the rotor and pad,it only last hundred metres than it come again.So i also needed help on this...

at the begining i though is because of no yet run in but now i had ride it for month,still the same....i am thinking of reverse the rotor,is it possible...or will it damage the rotor?

i had also sand down the pad edge...:disgust1: still the same....

is all Avid have this problem? never run a Avid before...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
yea, thats the way I have always done it. Always works fine. Maybe its something else.
Sometimes the pads are uneven and you can open both pistons all the way up and then do the centering trick. Light dusting on the edges with emory cloth will get you squared away if it's just rough edges on the rotor. Just remember, Sram tech support kicks ass.

Oct 8, 2003
Yea, I love sram I know its prolly something im doing wrong or can be easily fixed I have all my bikes set up with Sram,Rockshox,Truvativ,Avid

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
An engineer buddy of mine used to work in the brake division of one of the big automakers. He said that after all technical tricks and tips are applied there is still an unexplained dimension to brake squeal. In other words, you need some luck and alignment of the stars remove all brake squeal. So try the technical suggestions methodically and if still squealing, there may be nothing to do. My Juicies squeal infrequently, typically on slow, steep rock-picking kind of maneuvers, but even then not often at all.

Oct 8, 2003
yea, i suspect all brakes will do that sometimes im not concerned with sometimes. Mine is squealing so lound I think its trying to tell me something.

Oct 8, 2003
Well I think I fixed my problem or atleast it seems to be fixed. It's raining here so much today(thats why I am on computer and not bike) so I just started pushing the bike around with the front brake on in the garage for a while and after 10 mins or so I think I got the squeal fixed. I think the problem was that the rotor and pads were soooo clean that it was causing the brakes to squeek. I sanded and cleaned the rotor and pads.I think basicly made them like new since the pads were only used for a demo ride( I got these brakes off a demo bike that was used once) they were hardley broken in but I think someone must have slightly contaminated them because when I first put the brakes on they were not all that powerful but after lightly sanding and cleaning the rotor and pads they gained back the power, they just needed to be worn into the rotor again as if they were new.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
reviving this thread. I have a set of 08 Juicy 7's with G2 8" on my trailbike that have squealed since day one. Last week I cleaned and sanded the rotors and pads, squeal free for 300' of trail, then worse than ever. This is driving me batty, should I replace the pads? Were they contaminated from the factory? WTF?!

warthog

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
San Luis Obispo Ca.
Are the rotor bolts properly torqued down? Often brake squeal can be caused by under/over or unevenly tightened bolts. Use a torque wrench and tighten them in 3 steps, 25in-lbs/40 in-lbs/55in-lbs. Also, how did you break them in? Try cleaning the rotors again (sand with 220 grit paper then use alcohol or automotive brake cleaner). If you think the pads have gotten oil on them, soak the pads in alcohol and set them on fire, and any oil contamination should be burned out (not nessecary if they aren't contaminated). After that, find a paved hill and from about 15-20 mph apply the brakes hard until you almost, but not quite stop. Do that 4-5 times in a row, and ride back up the hill giving the brakes a chance to cool. Repeat until brakes are quiet from the first application (when they are cool). The aforementioned steps have never failed to quiet down a stubbornly noisy brake in my experience. Be warned, they will howl like crazy at first.

Alot of times it has to do with the position of the piston. It may not have full contact with the backing of the pad, causing some vibration heard as the turky squeel. Try to re set the pistons an LIGHTLY sand the back side of the pad. While you havr the pads out check and see if they are glazed on the braking surface. If so again lightly sand the glaze off. Put everything back together and make sure the caliper is aligned. Also check to make sure there is no dirt between the rotor and the hub, clean it real good and tighten to spec.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I have often found that a good pair of headphones and an Ipod does the trick just fine. Avid brakes squeal (I say this have had many pairs, and still do) and there isn't always something that can be done without spending mucho money on the fix.