Quantcast

HOWIE did you do that...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I received my Howie from Landon at tonic fab yesterday and started the build (the frame below is actually prototype #5) production runs should be out in the future. I am sure Landon will chime in about future production plans. Props to Landon for so much feedback and input on this bike I’m sure everyone has checked out a bunch of the tonic fabrications stuff it doesn’t get much cleaner…

As you can see below I started building up the bike today and my initial impressions are great, the welds and attention to detail are very impressive. The internal headset is a great touch really cleaning up the bike and the proto ‘spanglish’ bb is killer. I am definitely setting this bike up a bit unconventional with a 100mm fork and a bit bigger tires because I just prefer that set up, but this bike is prob best suited to an 80mm fork with 2.1 ish tires…we will see how it works out and if adjustments need to be made...

Once I get the bike built up and ridden I will post some pics, plans to ride rays this weekend to break her in so I cant wait.

Enjoy the artwork

_Bill

Bike Weight 28.6 lbs

Build:
Tonic Fabrications Howie prototype #5 w00t
Marzocchi DJ 1 2008
Bars: Diety 31.8 (pic was w little bars)
Ends: Fly bikes
Step: Thompson X4 50mm
Grips: Cheap and soft for gloveless riding
Cranks: Profile 175 mm flat blacked
Pedals: Fly Bikes Rubens
F. Tire: Atom Lab Comp III clone
R. Geax whatever...
Seat: Shadow Conspiracy
Wheels: Azonic Outlaws (they will do until i get something nice on here)...
Updated build pics...the bike is perfect

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
wow........just wow.......bye bye sinsiter.....hello new found bliss *wipes drool off keyboard*

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I'd be lieing if I said that's not a sweet looking frame.

I'm siked to see you build man, finish her up!

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Lookin good. Ive run that same internal HS on my fall guy for over a year with no issues. Its been rained on, cased and wrecked a bunch of times.

Whats good with that span-glish BB? Im thinking I need to get my hands on a set....

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Looks great Bill!

I thought it might be a Howie you've been alluding to... I'm glad you got one and I can't wait to see it built up.
Hot bike in a plain wrapper. In the car world we call that a 'sleeper'.

You know, I asked Landon if I could have a Howie... He told me to go build my own. Ha ha. Seriously.
I still want a Howie, Landon.

Be sure to give us a ride report (I know you will).

Later,
GM

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was looking at it this morning and the snowboard graphics scheme on the fork needs to go...doesn’t work with this bike...much like putting a 'bud light' sticker on a Lamborghini....

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
K, please help me out. I've been trying to figure out the difference between the Fall Guy and the Howie and I'm not getting it.

I'm kinda liking these Tonics, though. I just built my Mob so I don't think the wife will allow it, but maybe if someone would just by my Letoy...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
K, please help me out. I've been trying to figure out the difference between the Fall Guy and the Howie and I'm not getting it.

I'm kinda liking these Tonics, though. I just built my Mob so I don't think the wife will allow it, but maybe if someone would just by my Letoy...
howie is 135mm rear disc spec. 26" frame
fallguy is 110mm rear bmx spec. v brake only 24" killer

both integrated h/t. fallguy has mid bb. not sure what howie uses??

do it t1!!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
that color looks good. i thought you were after a baby blue..did you have a choice since it was a proto?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Greg, really means a lot to get your stamp of approval!

Hopefully people will like how the bike rides.

The Howie is for disc brakes/26" wheels.

The Fall Guy uses a BMX hub / 24" wheels.

The Howie will be available standard with a Mid. Euro will be a no-cost option.

The Spanglish BB convers a euro BB to Spanish bearings. If you are running Profiles and a euro BB, this maybe something you might want to look into.

Ours is made in the USA, and will be ready in about a month.

Howies should also be ready about the same time too.

-L

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that color looks good. i thought you were after a baby blue..did you have a choice since it was a proto?
I did have a choice and love the look of baby blue but i really wanted a low profile bike that wasnt as loud as some of the colors flying around. This color came out even better than I expected so I am very pleased. I have a set of blue fly bikes ruben pedals and end caps to give the baby blue flavor...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I think a fallguy would really round off my stable. I have my fixie, my Mob and my T1, and that 24" category would fit in well. I have become a frequenter of the Tonic site and we will see when my Letoy finally sells.

Are most 80mm forks gonna work pretty well with that? I'm pretty sold on my Pike, but Manitou seem to dominiate these bikes.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
The Spanglish BB convers a euro BB to Spanish bearings. If you are running Profiles and a euro BB, this maybe something you might want to look into.

-L
Yes and yes. Landon, Ill call you after thanksgiving for a couple of those BBs and another Fall Guy as well.:clapping:

James

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I think a fallguy would really round off my stable. I have my fixie, my Mob and my T1, and that 24" category would fit in well. I have become a frequenter of the Tonic site and we will see when my Letoy finally sells.

Are most 80mm forks gonna work pretty well with that? I'm pretty sold on my Pike, but Manitou seem to dominiate these bikes.
I have a friend that likes the feel of Pike on his FG, however the DT to crown clearance is really tight...

I like the feel of my 4x set at around 65 or 70mm of travel on my FG.

On a side note: One of my friends managed to teach my FG tail whips in a mini pipe in about 4 minutes. Im hoping some of that will rub off on me.....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I got the bike built last night, the spanglish bb is really slick, almost no set up with a 6" spindle, just slide it in bottom it against the provided washer and bolt it down.

To bad it is snowing here in pgh :(, i need to ride this thing.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
how much are the "spanglish" bb's going to retail for? I have one of the few FLy Spainish-Euro bottombrakets and could never get them setup properly due to the inner spacing, I usually ended up trying to stack the outer spacers inside but it never seemed to work and i ended up toasting many Spanish bb's.

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
I got the bike built last night, the spanglish bb is really slick, almost no set up with a 6" spindle, just slide it in bottom it against the provided washer and bolt it down.

To bad it is snowing here in pgh :(, i need to ride this thing.
That should give you some time to get some more pics up :clapping:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
as you can see i got the bike built and did a quick street ride on it in the rain and love the feel...the bike went together so quick with no chain line adjustment needed.

One call out is you definitely want to run this bike with an 80mm or less fork, the 100 is cool but the bike is a bit chopped out it will be very happy with a 75 or so. At this point i just dont want to mess with getting the fork dropped by nemesis or whoever...I just want to shut up and ride, so down the line i will prob adjust that other than that im a happy guy...rays tomorrow.

out

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Man, nice bike. Landon, you consistently make the cleanest bikes around and this one is no exception. And another great spec by Bill. Gives me another reason to rob a bank and get my ass back to the east to come ride that thing.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
J maybe ill throw it in my duffle when i come to ski this winter in SLC...(oh yeah i didnt tell you yet)...free up the spare bedroom...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dont know if you saw these but shots Landon posted up, i think my howie might be defective i cant get it to do the below maneuver...thank god for lifetime warranty...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks for posting these up, and for the kind words. Billy's really gotten used to the Howie quickly.

Here's a 270 table over a hip.

[/IMG]

-L