Quantcast

Hub question...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm not a big hub expert, hell, I dont even own a cone wrench. So heres my question (applies to my wifes bike). The rear wheel seems to have some side to side play. The play is in the hub... does it (most likley) just need to be tightened (it hasn't had that many rides on it, and very few of them hard) or does it have other problems. Note, its a Deore disk hub.

I use to yank apart my old Hugi because the internals were really simple... but I have heard shimano's internals have a lot more parts. It it safe to say if I start to poke around in these hubs I will have no problem putting everything back together? NOTE: This is coming from a guy that rebuilt a Manitou Black without a manual.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The bearing part is really simple. There are seven(maybe 9) loose ball bearings per race. Just put some grease in the race and stick the bearings in and slide the axle back in.

Most likely you just need to adjust the preload. You need two cone wrenches to do it. You want just a slight bit of play after tightening them and when you clamp it in the frame it will take out the last little bit.

Don't open up the freehub body. You will go crazy trying to get all the bearings back in. It can be removed whole with a 10mm allen wrench after you pull the axle.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
time to buy the cone wrenches, but after you take the cassette off, you should be able to service it with some basic instructions. i bet park tool has some great instructions.