Quantcast

Husqvarna bikes

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I'm looking into picking up a dual sport bike this summer. Right now im most interested in a Husqvarna SM610. Its a street legal supermoto bike. I'd put some knobby tires on it so I could take it out on dirt roads and stuff in Arizona. I want the SM610 for the better stoppers and nicer styling compared to the dual sport bike. Does anyone have any experience or feedback on Husqvarna bikes? How are their reliability and durability?

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/06_SM610.html

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can't say too much about Husky, but I ride a Husaberg (started by Husky engineers back in the day). I love my bike a lot. But unless you have a dealership close by, parts can be a bitch.

Being an "exotic" bike, they do require more attention than a jap bike. I wouldn't trade mine for anything despite being hard to get parts on short notice and having to turn a wrench now and again. My 400cc smokes 600cc jap bikes all day long.

Have you looked at KTM? I have ridden a few and all I can say is "wow". Last year they ran a deal where you got 2 sets of wheels with tires (17+17 supermoto and 19+21 dirt) on a few models. KTM is a sweet company and you get the exotic bike with easy to find parts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SilentJ said:
Husqvarna is a huge company. So apparently they're a marketing company and suck at everything.

Yeah, they farm out their sewing machines to Singer. Complete crap. Only interested in making money and nothing a hard core seamstress would want to use.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Westy said:
Yeah, they farm out their sewing machines to Singer. Complete crap. Only interested in making money and nothing a hard core seamstress would want to use.
Aint it true, MV Agusta's are such rotton pieces of sh1t, made in tibet.

I have looked at KTMs, but the huskys just appeal to me so much more. Its a bike made in Italy by a Swedish owned company :cool: Ive got a thing for rare/exotic vehicles. I wouldnt call my Rover rare, but it is rare to see a lifted and built up Rover compared to all of the heeps and american trucks out there, and they are harder to get parts for too. I'd have the truck to drive if the bike was ever down, but then again the truck is down alot too. Theres just something about the Husky that stands out from the rest.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was all into getting a Husky Super Moto, but I was talked out it simply based on value.

If I was some kind of motorcycle collector like I am with bikes, definitely though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
skatetokil said:
just get a honda and be done with it.
Tell that to my buddy. He had a Honda XR250 when we started riding. He couldn't keep up with my Husaberg FC400. So he bought an XR600, guess what, still lags.

So last weekend he picked up an '05 KTM 525SX and rode it all this weekend. We will find out if he can hang next weekend.

Just a note, he has been riding for about 5 years longer than me, so I would say his issues are 75% bike so far. My FC400 smokes Hondas without issue.

But serious, if you want a Husky, get one used. My bike new was $6500. I got it used for $1500 becuase people don't know what they are worth. If you want a serious powerhouse, pull the trigger. But go used and save some big coin.

ebay

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
uh.. a honda xr250 shouldnt be able to hang with Husaberg 400 anything. XRs are POSs and have been for 10 years. I bet you money a honda CRF 250 (not CR250 either) would destroy your husaberg.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
kizzi77 said:
uh.. a honda xr250 shouldnt be able to hang with Husaberg 400 anything. XRs are POSs and have been for 10 years. I bet you money a honda CRF 250 (not CR250 either) would destroy your husaberg.
My bike is 10 to 15 pounds lighter (stock) than the Yamaha WRF426 and I have ridden with both WRF's and CRF250/450.

Look at the parts spec on the Husaberg, it comes stock built to race off the showroom floor. You can't beat Euro Trash moto.

I never said the XR was all that, but it's what he bought before he new better. He rode a CRF450 and bought the KTM. I wouldn't have gotten the SX because it's only a 4 speed, but I would still take it over a CRF.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
jimmydean said:
My bike is 10 to 15 pounds lighter (stock) than the Yamaha WRF426 and I have ridden with both WRF's and CRF250/450.

Look at the parts spec on the Husaberg, it comes stock built to race off the showroom floor. You can't beat Euro Trash moto.

I never said the XR was all that, but it's what he bought before he new better. He rode a CRF450 and bought the KTM. I wouldn't have gotten the SX because it's only a 4 speed, but I would still take it over a CRF.
I like KTMs pretty good, but the cash you shell out for their four strokes is obscene. As for Husaberg, I guess if you have a good dealer, it would be ok, but I cant imagine parts are easy to come by or cheap. I like Jap bikes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
I like KTMs pretty good, but the cash you shell out for their four strokes is obscene. As for Husaberg, I guess if you have a good dealer, it would be ok, but I cant imagine parts are easy to come by or cheap. I like Jap bikes.
You are correct sir. I have a dealer in Gresham, but it's nearly an hours drive. They will ship most things to my door UPS for either cheap or free, but it takes a few days. When I needed a clutch cable, I called and they said it would be about $25-$30. So I drove out there and it was $48! He gave it to me for $30 (cost was $35) because that's what he quoted me on the phone.

They are one of the biggest parts shops on the west coast, so they have most everything in stock. But it aint cheap.

It gets looks though. Either on the trailer or on the trail, people always ask about it. The yellow and blue stands out a little too (not as bad as KTM orange though).

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I have heard great things about the 610s but have heard have some problems if they arent set up right by the dealer, misrouted cables and other small stuff. If you get one see if oyu can get the Euro turn signals, so much cooler

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I didn't know that Husky still made bikes, everytime I hear about them it reminds me of 'Fear and loating is Las Vegas'

Well," he said, "as your attorney I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can you cover a thing like this righteously?"

"No way," I said. "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?"

"Whats that?"

"A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

"That sounds about right for this gig," he said.

"It is," I assured him. "The ******'s not much for turning, but it's pure hell on the straightaway. It'll outrun the F-111 until takeoff."

"Takeoff?" he said. "Can we handle that much torque?"

"Absolutely," I said. "I'll call New York for some cash."

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tenchiro said:
I didn't know that Husky still made bikes, everytime I hear about them it reminds me of 'Fear and loating is Las Vegas'
Tasky's Metric Cycle is up in Everett, WA (on Hewitt just west of I-5)

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/

It is a small shop run by Jeff Tasky. He is a "rider" and sells bikes all over the PNW. I think in my motorcycle club alone there is probably 2 dozen Husky's. 250, 450, 510 4-strokes mostly. Rekluse auto clutches seem like a popular addition for the bikes (not just Husky's though)

Got Husky's?

Lots of pics of my club riding Husky's on our smugmug site.
http://stumpjumpers.smugmug.com/gallery/1217811/1/57011442

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Downhiller, I guess it depends on what you are doing? I like KTM's, but my Suzuki RM 250 feel pretty nice. :D

Me at the bottom of a 1500 ft sand chute. :D

Got some more Husky's?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Curb Hucker said:
Aint it true, MV Agusta's are such rotton pieces of sh1t, made in tibet.

I have looked at KTMs, but the huskys just appeal to me so much more. Its a bike made in Italy by a Swedish owned company :cool: Ive got a thing for rare/exotic vehicles. I wouldnt call my Rover rare, but it is rare to see a lifted and built up Rover compared to all of the heeps and american trucks out there, and they are harder to get parts for too. I'd have the truck to drive if the bike was ever down, but then again the truck is down alot too. Theres just something about the Husky that stands out from the rest.
How about the new Aprilia SVX series? :drool:

I think I'll be getting a KTM 525 EXC for '07 since they will be CA street legal bone stock, but the Aprilia or Husky are very appealing in terms of looks and the whole exotic factor. I love the way both bikes have such minimal plastics, it make them look like a trials moto but nastier.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
punkassean said:
How about the new Aprilia SVX series? :drool:
I'm liking the looks of the RVX 550. Am waiting for the local dealer to get some in for a test drive, and to see what pricing is like.
I'll be picking up a new bike soon, it'll be either one of those, or the Yammy WR450F.

I really like how pretty much anything is street legal in Korea.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Huskys, ktms and the non jap models are all fantastic motorcycles, the only issue is is there a dealer close enough to you, that if you break something or need maintaince done, can you drop the bike off without driving cross country.

I would have loved a KTM when I was looking for my 125, but the practicality of driving over an hour to the dealer for parts was un appealing to me. Its not that you can't get KTM parts at other dealers, its that when you order through non KTM dealers it takes a longggg timee.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That is a drawback of any exotic bike, parts (both cost and availablity). I do all my own work and the shop will UPS me parts and they are at my door the next day if I don't want to drive. But it also means if you want to get one used, you can get them for cheap sometimes too.

My clutch cable was $48, for a clutch cable! But for as nice as it rides, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

<edit> the Rekluse setup is very tempting, I have thought about that a lot.

PS An advantage for me is my left leg is mystrong leg, so the left foot kick works best for me. Plus I tell my friends they can ride it if they can start it. It's funny to watch them try.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
jimmydean said:
<edit> the Rekluse setup is very tempting, I have thought about that a lot.

PS An advantage for me is my left leg is mystrong leg, so the left foot kick works best for me. Plus I tell my friends they can ride it if they can start it. It's funny to watch them try.
Rekluse clutch ='s weird ":) It is strange and when I borrowed a buddies EXC 450 I had to focus on not grabbing the clutch......25 years of clutching can't be overided so easily.

forgeting to down shift is a mistake rookies (myself included) make. lol it excellerated ok in 5th gear frmo a dead stop heading uphill on a dirt road....but it felt like the clutch was slipping. :think: :clue: It is pretty funny.

My father had a 86 Maico (called M Star at the time) 500cc 2stroke enduro bike. Left (wrong) sided kickstarter....and I would have to find a stump or log and stand on it with my left foot and kick it through with my right. But at 12 or so years old I did ok. lol Lots of bump starting and planned stops on that bike. Park on top of a hill if possible with a high side on the left....:D Good times. All 12yo should ride a 500cc 2 stroke atleast once. :thumb:

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
dan wask said:
Huskys, ktms and the non jap models are all fantastic motorcycles, the only issue is is there a dealer close enough to you, that if you break something or need maintaince done, can you drop the bike off without driving cross country.

I would have loved a KTM when I was looking for my 125, but the practicality of driving over an hour to the dealer for parts was un appealing to me. Its not that you can't get KTM parts at other dealers, its that when you order through non KTM dealers it takes a longggg timee.
Try this:
http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/catalog/catalog.cfm

15% discount just for registering as a member at ktmtalk.com, too. Did I mention I LOVE my Husaberg? :lol:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
BurlyShirley said:

yea 4 strokes for any bike is more, but for street legal its pretty much gonna have to be a 4 stroke or at least around here, in terms of mantence and ease of riding 4 stroke is awesome. I rode a KTM 125 and the fit and finish and overall quality was awesome compared to honda, amazing power and very fast, me being 15 at the time. but u can't go wrong wiht the honda cheap, ease of parts easy maintnence. warranty, financing u can get it all, really comes down to whatever, u want, and is best for ur price avaiablitly*

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
partsbara said:
for sure... they can all do it real well on the Xbox.. :)

rhino, do you see many CRF250 X riders in ya club ??
I rode my dads....just have to respect the power and be strong enough to get it unstuck in the woods.

There are a couple CRF250X's kicking aroud the club.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
How the heck did I not see a topic about motorcycles??..A friend of mine bought an older Husky [1998] you do have to wait for parts sometimes ...I see alot of CRF250X's in New England woods...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
RhinofromWA said:
I rode my dads....just have to respect the power and be strong enough to get it unstuck in the woods.

There are a couple CRF250X's kicking aroud the club.
good power eh ?? enough to haul around my 225 lb azz ? now i just need to check if i can get one green stickered / street reg in CA... called 'dual sport' license i believe :confused:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
partsbara said:
good power eh ?? enough to haul around my 225 lb azz ? now i just need to check if i can get one green stickered / street reg in CA... called 'dual sport' license i believe :confused:
I haven't ridden one personally but if I can kick aroud on a KDX 200 (my buddies sisters bike) then I am pretty confident that a 250 CRFX could haul you around. ;)

Now getting a CRF licensed for street is another matter and I don't know how hard it is in CA but it is near/if not impossible to do it in Washington state. :( They can be a legal as all get otu but the title says for Offroad use only....instant rejection. :wonky2: