Quantcast

Hutchinson Alligator?

I rode a set for 6 months and I really liked them. I never got a pinch flat with them and I was running 35-40 in them most of the time. It's all loose rock around here and they are great. They hook up really well, too. Mine didn't last as long as I thought they should, but they were OEM take-offs, not aftermarket. Most companies make the aftermarket models a little better.

R.T.

Chimp
Nov 23, 2001
Everywhere
I've got a set of 2.25 Alligators that I rode a bit over the summer. They had great traction and would hook up on just about anything but had lots of rolling resistance. These 2.25's were bigger than most 2.3 tires out there since they had a enormous amount of volume.

I did pinch flat a few times, the sidewalls are not that strong and i'm sure it didn't help that they were on narrow 517's(xc bike). The biggest problem they have is that they puncture very easily since they have a low tpi and not much reinforcement. If there are lots of thorns or sharp rocks on your rides I'd go with something else. These are the aftermarket ones as well not the oem ones that Jenson sells.

They are a perfect canidate for trying out the "homemade" tubeless system with liquid latex to stop the punctures. I was thinking of testing it out on them when I got a chance. Also maybe a wider rim would help.

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Greta mud tires... mind you, I only race when it's muddy - no recreational mudfests for me. The Alligators shed mud better than any other tire I have tried. However, they are very heavy.