Quantcast

Hydraulic V's???

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I read a review somewhere that said something to the effect of "Don't waste your time, spend the extra $ and get Magura HS33's"

They look a little hokey.

G

gravity

how dodgy...... one of the main advantages of Magura brakes is that there is no flex in the canti arms, and those things lose that advantage. they could have made it more effective though by narrowing the hydraulic cylinder on the canti arms, and making the arms longer, hence more leverage. oh well their stupidity i guess......

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Not sure if they are the same brand, but Dirt Rag Magazine did a review on some hydrolic V's a year or two ago and had lots of problems and concluded they weren't worth the money.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
those things have been around for a while
they keep on getting rebranded and remarketed, yet its the same design

but in the end, are they popular? nope
which means they're either overpriced or crap, or maybe both? :p
normal v's are damn powerful, the only advantage i can see hydro is that it'd stop cable wear and friction, but a bit of oil does the same thing

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hey ive seen and tested a hydro disc by starbike

P.O.S. in my opinion
difficult installation, sketchy lever, wimpy blade and ok stopping power, not really reliable if you ask me.

v

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
A buddy of mine has a pair he said there nothing great to shout about, He put them on his XC bike instead of his trials bike so I guess that says somthing. If your riding trials for the life of god say away from Maguras rim brakes. Just my 2 cents.

J.R.B

Chimp
Nov 6, 2001
Why not Magura rim brakes for trials? I thought the HS33's and some milk pads or plazmatics are pretty much the norm for die hard trials riders. I know Lenosky runs V's but I thought the feel of hydraulics was superior.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
magys are so unreliable my friend got a apir installed them correctly (works in a shop and is a sponsored rider) and they just pretty much blew up on him. stay away far far away. he broke his knee while doin an gap rear brake blew up and he slipped and landed four ft down on a concrete ledge

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Maguras don't hold worth a damn. If you like playing with space age adhesives and paying boo koo money for pads that require constant cleaning Maguras are the brakes for you. If you can stand the mushy feel of v brakes I'd stick to those. I can give you some pointers on set up if you'd like. My v brakes on rims that I havn't cleaned since i put them on my bike don't slip on 95% of the things I ride on and sure as hell never had them slip on any hand rails. When I ran maguras I couldn't pedal kick on flat ground without the damn things slipping don't even taklk about when they get wet. I became a slave to Stick Um hand spray just to get the damn things to work. The only conclusion I can come to as to why people still ride trials with them is cause there content with the performace or they use more than one finger. I think in the future it's going to be disk brakes of v's.

G

gravity

just bout everyone uses HS-33s around here for trials.... cept occasionally when it's wet, hydro discs are used. a few people use vees but nearly all are on Maguras. from what i've felt they're pretty good.

D

Dave-in-Md

Don't see much point in hydraulic v-brakes, unless you wanted to add un-needed complication to a perfectly good brake system! Current v-brakes work just fine and if you need something better, go to real hydraulic disks, or even good Avid mechanical disks. IMHO, if you're going hydraulic, might as well go all the way to disk and make it worthwhile.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I belive the logic behind them is to get rid of the mush that V brakes have. So esseintialy you would get the firm feel of maguras but the stoping power of v brakes. Unfortunatly reviews from friends said they did't quite work out like that. You have to be carful with disk brakes and trials though alot of frames are not sufficiently designed to withstand the shear forces that disk brakes produce when doing trials. For the moment alot of guys are only running disks up front. Weird huh I really didn't think that a disk brake would destroy your frame until I started hearing about all the broken frames. Megamo came out with special tabs for the 2002 trials bikes to combat this very problem.