Quantcast

i am officially retiring from ridemonkey...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i hate to go but the influx of spoiled brats with too much bike, too much mouth, and too little brain is really getting on my nerves. at least every other thread has become a flame or bash fest and it is rapidly becoming too much like mtbr.com and pinkbike. i remember a time when RM was full of cool, intelligent,witty, smart aleck bike riders that didnt really care what kind of riding was done by who but cared more about making new friends and riding bikes. this site is on a downward spiral and i will no longer be a part of it.

those of you that know me know my number and how to get in touch with me. to those that dont its kind of a shame i didnt get to ride with you.

all is well that ends well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uh, are you going to reply to this thread? so when is your official leaving-RM deadline? :nuts: :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
manziman said:
Is this your 2 week notice..?
kinda.

this site is just going to hell thats all.

forum like this are a medium for discussing whatever comes up. not a medoum for slamming people and what they choose to ride. i know some of the responses to this thread will be along the lines of "well dont read those threads" but it is hard to read any thread without dealing with this crap these days.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I understand your feelings, but I hope you stay. Maybe check in and say hello once in a while. Your contribution to this site valuable and positive.

I respect your decision and I wish you well in everything you do, but I hope you stay.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Biggins mate, the cool people are still here. Don't give up so easy. Pick and choose. Sorry to see you go if you do.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I guess my frustration is just that this kind of thing hasn't been brought to my attention.

I can't be everywhere at once, so you guys have to let me know. If someone is being an ass on a regular basis I want to know about it, and I want you to name names. Please try to keep it private, so report the post, send me a pm, email me, etc. but let me know.

I refuse to lose good members because punk kids are being pricks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn man... we had our differences but you're cool by me... be part of the solution, if you leave then you let the dillholes win.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
biggins said:
i hate to go but the influx of spoiled brats with too much bike, too much mouth, and too little brain is really getting on my nerves. at least every other thread has become a flame or bash fest and it is rapidly becoming too much like mtbr.com and pinkbike. i remember a time when RM was full of cool, intelligent,witty, smart aleck bike riders that didnt really care what kind of riding was done by who but cared more about making new friends and riding bikes. this site is on a downward spiral and i will no longer be a part of it.

those of you that know me know my number and how to get in touch with me. to those that dont its kind of a shame i didnt get to ride with you.

Boohoo.

Edit: :D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Ridemonkey said:
I guess my frustration is just that this kind of thing hasn't been brought to my attention.

I can't be everywhere at once, so you guys have to let me know. If someone is being an ass on a regular basis I want to know about it, and I want you to name names. Please try to keep it private, so report the post, send me a pm, email me, etc. but let me know.

I refuse to lose good members because punk kids are being pricks.
There's definitely been an increase in the idiot factor, but I also think a critical mass of good members has been reached and they do a pretty good job of keeping the yappers at bay. I don't reckon you've got much to worry about. You've inherited a pretty tight ship.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That's been my take. As a community site grows it will inevitably gain some idiots, but as community sites go (and I go to a LOT of them), I think the better half on this site do a great job of minimalizing the impact of the dillweeds.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Ridemonkey said:
That's been my take. As a community site grows it will inevitably gain some idiots, but as community sites go (and I go to a LOT of them), I think the better half on this site do a great job of minimalizing the impact of the dillweeds.
You only have to look at the PD forum to see that. We yell and scream at each other 'til the cows come home but it rarely needs moderating. (although I reckon you should give N8 the arse ;) )

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
can i inherit your wealth of avatars? :thumb:

sorry to see you go. at least do the random drive by on occasion in the future.

if not, keep the rubba side down, catch lots of fish, and have a good life

seeeeee yaaaaaa

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I agree with Loco. I joined this site about 2 years ago and every thread i started were answered interligently(sp?) and to the point. Now today, all the threads I see or start end up something how a pinkbike forum would be. I won't ever leave RideMonkey because its what I do when I have nothing else to do. But Loco, what if all members start cracking down on the "idiots" and start reporting things to RideMonkey, we can work this out. Don't leave :(

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
priceseliger14 said:
I agree with Loco. I joined this site about 2 years ago and every thread i started were answered interligently(sp?) and to the point. Now today, all the threads I see or start end up something how a pinkbike forum would be. I won't ever leave RideMonkey because its what I do when I have nothing else to do. But Loco, what if all members start cracking down on the "idiots" and start reporting things to RideMonkey, we can work this out. Don't leave :(
umm, loco has yet to post on this thread...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
biggins said:
i hate to go but the influx of spoiled brats with too much bike, too much mouth, and too little brain is really getting on my nerves.

Just stay out of the Downhill forum. That place has went from worthwhile to worthless.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Dude, just because chodes like gonzostrike (BAN THE TROLL) are around doesn't mean good people still aren't here. If you think RM sucks, go to mtbr.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
priceseliger14 said:

haha we are close but not close enough to mistake us. i have much better avatars than him.

seriously the PD forum is for debate, when someone starts a thread about which bike is better there is going to be debate and arguing but when you get crap like this in a thread

"just the kind of responses i expected to read from a bunch of scared monkeys......
good stuff. i can't wait to hit it and show the weak racer johnnies how easy it actually is....."

where a guy starts a thread about a pretty burly bad ass gap then things start gettin out of control. i never react the way i did in that particular thread after trying to show people how they were , then trying to diffuse the flame-o-thon, then getting talked to the way that noob did. its the internet and a site that i love but damn it is like all the people that get banned from mtbr.com and pink bike come here as their last resort.

i love this site and have made many new friends over it, hell i even got fired from a job because of it, but i just see that many of the newer members really need to be watched for a while to build e-respect or e-street cred or whatever you wanna call it.

at some point in time most members on here and most of the mods have laid into me for being dumb and i didnt mind at all cause i know their motives. they have flamed me soooo much but thats cool because there is a lot of mutual respect between members and respect for opinions that many of these new members do not understand or even take the time to build.they are not on here to make new contacts or riding buddies or learn about new stuff coming out or get pointers or anything. they are here solely for the purpose of starting flame wars.

its just an issue when every thread that gets started outside the lounge or the PD forum some kid comes in and completely out of nowhere starts a flamefest.

i would love to stay on here Adam and i know the site is gonna be moving along nicely (especially with free beer tuesday)just let me know what i can do to help control it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Sherpa said:
Dude, just because chodes like gonzostrike (BAN THE TROLL) are around doesn't mean good people still aren't here. If you think RM sucks, go to mtbr.

i feel i tried to read a thread once on mtbr.com and it just annoyed me so much i couldnt get past the 2nd post.

seriously, this thread is not a cry for help, it is a cry for reform.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think i was just blown away at how much that thread and a few others have pissed me off so bad. its just a thread. even burly shirly didnt piss me off that bad during campaign season in the PD forum.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
biggins said:
i would love to stay on here Adam and i know the site is gonna be moving along nicely (especially with free beer tuesday)just let me know what i can do to help control it.
Just have to let me know man - and this goes for everyone.

When stuff like that gets by it's not because I'm turning a blind eye...I just don't have enough eyes. I'm so busy working on new features for the site, and working on other projects that it's basically impossible to get to every thread that pops up, but I can ALWAYS make time to deal with bad eggs.

RM is, and always has been about quality, not quantity, and if we have to lose a few members who can't play nice and treat everyone with respect then so be it.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Ridemonkey said:
Just have to let me know man - and this goes for everyone.

When stuff like that gets by it's not because I'm turning a blind eye...I just don't have enough eyes. I'm so busy working on new features for the site, and working on other projects that it's basically impossible to get to every thread that pops up, but I can ALWAYS make time to deal with bad eggs.

RM is, and always has been about quality, not quantity, and if we have to lose a few members who can't play nice and treat everyone with respect then so be it.
If you need another eye, I'll do it for free. I'm on here wayyyyyyyyyy to much. :)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
WestCoastHucker said:
just the kind of responses i expected to read from a bunch of scared monkeys......

good stuff. i can't wait to hit it and show the weak racer johnnies how easy it actually is.....

Yep, WCH was just trolling to start a flame war.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Bigz, if ya leave man, I'd hate to see it, the redneck contingent is kinda small around here, but it ya gotta, ya gotta

PM me a numeral that is associated with your cellular telephonic device, I'd like to make it out that way soon, and share several beers

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Maybe I am just numb to it, but I have not noticed the "bash fest" that RM has supposedly become. If anyone has a problem with specific posts or members, I'd hope you'd PM/e-mail a mod.

Anyway, we'd hate to see you go, Biggins. As much of a pain in the ass you are, its cool having you around. :)

J

JRB

uhm - my contribution will be to simply ask Ben to stay. I am so busy at work, I can't check in much, and I miss that. I plan to bump into a lot of cool people someday. I even really like stoney and mack, even though I jack with them. The only people I have truly disliked here were both from TX. One followed me to harrass me. You folks hammered him, and he went away. This place rocks, and we need the fishermen here. How is sis, Ben???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's because DRB mobilized the "we hate MMike" campaign.

biggins, hang around for a bit more.

or if you don't, that's cool too. do whatever you like.

just crank up the Drive By Truckers and down a tasty pint or three.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Boooo don't go! I think more moderators who sit on rm all day when they should be working would be good.

SK6-Any word from mrbigisbudgood? i haven't spoken to him in a long time.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Don't go biggins! :( Atleast PM me your number or something so if I ever make it out east we can go riding.

I think we need to all chip in and keep this place in tip top shape and be 'the cool' place to be because it sure as hell always has been for me since I joined in 03.