Quantcast

I biked up gibraltar to ride tunnel

Dec 20, 2005
I'm sick of the walkers, hikers and others always asking me if I rode to the top of gibraltor before riding down as if they think riding a 45lbs downhill bike up gibraltor is possible.

well let me be maybe the first to say I got my turner DHR to the top in 2 hrs and drink a **** load of drinks on the way up. Its not fun, but with 3 hrs to waste I wanyted to know if it was at least possible.

There is no way in hell I am riding up again unless its on a XC bike!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You would have had more fun pushing up the trail!
A single ring DHR up Gibby? Ouch! With a two or three ring bike its not that bad though.

Dec 20, 2005
yeah, the 34T on the front wasnt much help! I was going to go up the trail but I have enough problems running up tunnel with no bike so decided to take gibraltor up. It wasnt too bad, I finished a camelback and also made it up to the top in 2 hrs! it took me twice as long to come down the trail though as I was shafted!

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm sick of the walkers, hikers and others always asking me if I rode to the top of gibraltor before riding down as if they think riding a 45lbs downhill bike up gibraltor is possible.

well let me be maybe the first to say I got my turner DHR to the top in 2 hrs and drink a **** load of drinks on the way up. Its not fun, but with 3 hrs to waste I wanyted to know if it was at least possible.

There is no way in hell I am riding up again unless its on a XC bike!
I've done it 4-5 times on a ~40lb freeride bike - but not in recent years - I've pretty much sworn to never climb Gib again - too hot, too heinous

however, I do climb Romero and drop Cold Springs once a year - that's a better climb actually - but pick a foggy day if you can

sweetimzack

Monkey
May 28, 2006
wow haha I never ridden tunnel yet I wanna thoe but Ive heard the hikers booby trapped the trails like put big rocks and stacked em in the middle of the trail so its either impossible to ride over or you have to be good with a DH bike to get over them. I cant imagine riding up that with a dh bike thats insane haha

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
Yeah, did that once on my dh bike my freshman year at UCSB with a 44T chainring because i didn't have a car and wanted to ride tunnel... never again. Pushing up the trail would have been a much better option, at least you can scout out lines while you're killing yourself.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
moral of this thread, have a 22 ring up front, allows you to get to lots of places much easier!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, did that once on my dh bike my freshman year at UCSB with a 44T chainring because i didn't have a car and wanted to ride tunnel... never again. Pushing up the trail would have been a much better option, at least you can scout out lines while you're killing yourself.
wheres that pic in your avatar?..is that foothill school in sb?..if it is i jumped that a long time ago and i totally over jumped it and flat landed really hard..it wasn't fun

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
The roof drop in my avatar is on the UCSB campus by the lagoon at the end of lagoon road near campus point. Never heard of the foothill school drop, but this one has a pretty nice landing.

wheres that pic in your avatar?..is that foothill school in sb?..if it is i jumped that a long time ago and i totally over jumped it and flat landed really hard..it wasn't fun