Quantcast

I can't believe Dubya thought he had to say this...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Full Story...

"Well, I understand that. And the marketplace is making decisions as to whether the dollar should be strong or not. Our policy is a strong dollar. And we believe that good fiscal and monetary policy will cause our economy to grow and that the marketplace will see a growing economy and therefore strengthen the dollar," he said.

"But you're right, the market, at this point in time, has devalued the dollar, which is contrary to our policy," he said.

:think:

Next he is going to tell us that currency can be exchanged for goods and services...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I saw part of that on TV and was dumbfounded. It sounded like my Macro Econ 1100 professor explaining this stuff... but as if my professor was drunk on cheap whiskey. I majored in economics, so i kinda pay attention to these things.

I was not only shocked at how stupid he sounded, I was thinking, "umm, I dunno, a weak dollar is better off for us at the moment... we have enough of a trade imbalance... let's increase demand for US goods and services and help restore our econ just a bit."

God, our President really just needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes. It's too bad Gore is such an uptight fvck.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Interesting.....official policy is a strong dollar but it seems un-officially that certain people won't be too sad to see the dollar slip a bit after all it doesn't hurt exports. The Japanese certainly don't want a strong dollar, the Americans and the Japanese have a sort of gentlemans agreement to keep the dollar/yen fairly stable.
I'm watching the Euro though, seems to be going gangbusters as of late. A new default currency emerging to replace the greenback? We'll see.
As for Dubya statin' the bleedin' obvious, well far be it for me to criticize Americans about matters of economics. If there's one thing you lot are good at, it's making coin.
:D :D