Quantcast

I did one hard ass road ride Wednesday

J

JRB

In the Chisos Mountains. It was 3780 ft of climbing in 55 miles. Really, that was in 35 miles because the last 20 was downhill for the most part. There was one climb that was 7 percent for like 3 miles and some change. Before we went to Big Bend NP, I was told this was not too hard so I had a 12-25 cassette with big cranks. I will own some compacts really soon. It was so hard, I didn't do a 60 mile gravel road ride on the mtn bike. The road ride followed a 2 day hike to the South Rim at BB, which was my first pack. If you ever make it to TX and need to know there are mountains, this is the place. Not any mountain bike trails, just dirt roads, but some bad assed road rides. Just sharing. :)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
loco said:
In the Chisos Mountains. It was 3780 ft of climbing in 55 miles. Really, that was in 35 miles because the last 20 was downhill for the most part. There was one climb that was 7 percent for like 3 miles and some change. Before we went to Big Bend NP, I was told this was not too hard so I had a 12-25 cassette with big cranks. I will own some compacts really soon. It was so hard, I didn't do a 60 mile gravel road ride on the mtn bike. The road ride followed a 2 day hike to the South Rim at BB, which was my first pack. If you ever make it to TX and need to know there are mountains, this is the place. Not any mountain bike trails, just dirt roads, but some bad assed road rides. Just sharing. :)
PFFFfff thats nothing you're a wuss like Wumpus said. ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
There was one climb that was 7 percent for like 3 miles and some change.
...I had a 12-25 cassette with big cranks.
That's pretty serious man, congrats. If you had better gearing, that ride would've been cake, cuz I'm thinking the rest of the climb was ~2%? I hope that 7% was at the top or I'd understand being fatigued the rest of the climb.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
That's pretty serious man, congrats. If you had better gearing, that ride would've been cake, cuz I'm thinking the rest of the climb was ~2%? I hope that 7% was at the top or I'd understand being fatigued the rest of the climb.
After that climb, there were a couple of spots that were like 5% for 1-2 miles. I was not ready for it, but it was fun. I plan on some FSA Energys, so it should only get better. :think:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
c'mon now loco i did that ride on my v-10 with a 42 tooth ring. man you texans need to step it up a little.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
The best climb around here is Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains in Washington. It's a short ferry ride from Victoria to Port Angeles. Starting with your back wheel in the ocean, you don't quit until you reach the alpine meadows of the ski area exactly one mile of elevation and 17 road miles later. We've had some incredible no-prisoners-taken battles on that one. There's a big group ride on every July 1, but we usually hit it a couple of times a year at least. It's a ripping downhill, with 2 long tunnels. And you can climb it on an MTB and take the singletrack downhill if you don't mind the chance that a park ranger might shoot you and/or confiscate your bike.