Quantcast

I Got In!

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Cash-Money said:
if i get some money for grad i'll build my dream bike... brooklyn racelink
Now that would be a good graduation present! I imagine a Brooklyn would last pretty much as long as you do, too--not a bad investment.

Any rich relatives? :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Nice.
Every college ever wants me, but I am seriously considering WWu 'cus they have really good riding, or Simon-Fraser.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Sweet! I grew up right on the other side of the hill from WWU so I kind of have this weird sentimental connection with it and I also have a lot of friends that go there. Great school and you'll love the biking.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Sweeeet!!
Good luck with your grades though. I went there and managed to cram 4 years into 5 ('89-'94) for school but was in Bham for a total of 7. I still love it up there but had to move away to build my empire. :D
I was already into mtb when I started school but as you know, that place rocks the church for trails so between biking, sailing, skiing, hiking, diving and flying kites at midnight in Marine Park, my grades weren't so hot. What's your planned course of study? This was mine:
http://vri.etec.wwu.edu/
It was great. There were a lot of mtb people in the tech department and you have access to all the machine shops and composite labs. Many of your projects can be bikey projects.
I hated the dorms but it's pretty much a requirement for at least a year to gain a good posse of friends. I was in Mathes Hall and I lucked out with a view of the bay. Room 206. Good times but I hated that life after a while. Too many people you can't get away from when you want to. I think the north side of campus has a lot of good rentals.
If you like boats/water, check out the WWU sailing team out at Lakewood. I wish I'd participated all 5 years.

I'd be happy to show you around if it works out.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
That VRI stuff looks pretty cool--nothing that had ever crossed my mind before. I assume that's your career? If you don't mind, how is it going? Is it easy enough to find fairly steady, decent-paying work?

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
Thats tight man.. i love it up here.. tons of places to ride.. I would be willing to show ya around the campus and stuff.. Congrats man...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
well, it was pretty tough finding that "real job". Didn't find that until 4 years after graduating. But that was partly due to having a college job that I loved. http://graylinealaska.com/employment.driver.cfm
Alaska/Yukon is an amazing place and lots of good biking tho' if you're working for school money, you might not get out on a lot of epics with this job.

The cool thing about that degree is that you learn about a lot of things so you can take any of those disciplines and take a career in any of them if you don't get into the vehicle part. I went into machining and currently have a stellar situation with my time being my own and enough money to buy bikes that are sweet nectar.
If the automotive world is appealing to you, it is a great degree program because with all the competitions you have the opportunity to participate in, you'll rub elbows with the execs at the big 3 farily often and it'll help you decide if it's for you or not. If I were to do it again, I'd be sure to take a year off of school in the middle to travel the world and then I'd try to get a job at Toyota Ford or GM right out of school and have them pay for a masters degree. Do that for 5 years to get a good pile of cash built up and then start looking for a job with less stress and more money that would still allow me to play like I want to. I'm pretty close to that now. But I skipped the steps of travelling the world (trying to make up for it now), the masters degree and building the pile of cash earlier.
They're really cool there. The new prof of the program was one of my lab partners while I was there. Erich. Just shoot them a call or an email if you want to stop by and get a tour. New, prospective students are always welcome.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Cash-Money said:
so i've heard, everyone seems to like it there. I need to come up and check out the campus, pick a dorm to stay in, etc. anyone want to play tour guide?
guess I'll be odd man out, I went there one year...didn't like it... now that I'm almost 24 though I can appreciate Bellingham and wish I knew then what i do now

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
welcome to b'ham, dh00d. WWU is pretty cool. Tons of hot chicks. lots of trails to ride. tons of great road riding (if you go that way).

i was born here but now I want to go to simon fraser uni for grad school. SFU has a rad math department...

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
Yeah i could show ya around.. just let me know, i dont have any plans but to maybe ride and party during the evening.. so just let me know when you are gonna be here..

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Qman said:
The cool thing about that degree is that you learn about a lot of things so you can take any of those disciplines and take a career in any of them if you don't get into the vehicle part. I went into machining and currently have a stellar situation with my time being my own and enough money to buy bikes that are sweet nectar.
If the automotive world is appealing to you, it is a great degree program because with all the competitions you have the opportunity to participate in, you'll rub elbows with the execs at the big 3 farily often and it'll help you decide if it's for you or not. If I were to do it again, I'd be sure to take a year off of school in the middle to travel the world and then I'd try to get a job at Toyota Ford or GM right out of school and have them pay for a masters degree. Do that for 5 years to get a good pile of cash built up and then start looking for a job with less stress and more money that would still allow me to play like I want to. I'm pretty close to that now. But I skipped the steps of travelling the world (trying to make up for it now), the masters degree and building the pile of cash earlier.
They're really cool there. The new prof of the program was one of my lab partners while I was there. Erich. Just shoot them a call or an email if you want to stop by and get a tour. New, prospective students are always welcome.
That whole deal sounds great. I like cars, but more from the design and marketing side than the nitty-gritty mechanical/repair side. Would the VRI stuff be the right way to go for that? The only problem is I really want to major in music (performance), so it might prove to be a pretty tough choice between music or something else, like VRI. I'm glad I have another year of high school...

Budman said:
Yeah i could show ya around.. just let me know, i dont have any plans but to maybe ride and party during the evening.. so just let me know when you are gonna be here..
i'd be down for partying and riding, as long as age isnt a big deal... not quite 18 yet. march is moustache month though, so maybe i'll look older. everyone knows a moustache makes you look older

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Tully said:
That whole deal sounds great. I like cars, but more from the design and marketing side than the nitty-gritty mechanical/repair side. Would the VRI stuff be the right way to go for that? The only problem is I really want to major in music (performance), so it might prove to be a pretty tough choice between music or something else, like VRI. I'm glad I have another year of high school...
I'd say it's more towards the nitty-gritty mechanical design side but includes styling and some marketing. Not so much repair but you'll be doing a lot of that type of work if you join any of the competitions like Formula SAE, Mini Baja and such.
The Industrial Design program might be more your thing if the mechanical side doesn't appeal to you. The Art Center in Pasadena might be the kind of place your looking for. They have a whole Transportation division devoted to styling/design. Either way, I encourage you to go and take a walk through the tech building and get a tour of the VRI/machine shop/plastics labs. As well as the performing arts building. Treat it like you're interviewing them to see if they're good enough for you.
Western is pretty good for music. You could also minor in the vehicle stuff or take a few classes as electives. A guy in my class majored in psychology, minored in vehicle design and went off to get a doctorate in Human Factors and now works at Paccar as a senior ergonomics design manager. It seems daunting to think about before you get into school but I would say you don't need to try and figure it all out before you start. Taking a year to try some classes you might not be naturally drawn to might help you narrow it down. You might be surprised how many people don't have careers that match their degree. I'd probably look into that "Running Start" program too. Will save you a lot of cash which can be put towards the bike fund!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Awesome congrats man, drop me an email this summer or later this year. I'll put you on my mailing list for team crap so you know whats going on. Check out our website and get on the forum if you havent already. And by all means, bring the bike up when you visit.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Well I just got my letter of rejection from WWU today so it looks like WSU is where im heading. As fun as western would be I really didn’t think I had the grades 2 get in. Is there any riding in Pullman?

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
No WSU you need like a 2.8 and 1100 on the SAT little easier. Sending my WWU application on the last day prolly didnt help much either.

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
WSU is pretty easy to get into.. I know people that got like a 2.5 and like a 900 on there sats and made it in.. Western is getting a lot harder to get into as it gets more competitive every year.. But its not all about grades they also look at community service and your essay that you write...

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Budman said:
WSU is pretty easy to get into.. I know people that got like a 2.5 and like a 900 on there sats and made it in.. Western is getting a lot harder to get into as it gets more competitive every year.. But its not all about grades they also look at community service and your essay that you write...

essay? wtf? I did not take the SAT and did not write an essay and got into WWU no prob. and I got accepted before the deadline to apply for fall even came up. (applied december 02 for fall 03 and got accepted beginning of february 03) but i took classes at WCC first and got pretty much all a's...

WA needs more seats in the UNI's. My friend who was president of student council at WCC, graduated from WCC with triple honors (GPA, honors program, and phi lamer krappa), had nearly a perfect GPA, had rad letters of recomendation couldn't even get into UW... un f'ing real. so he decided to stay at home in bellingham to go to WWU. Now he's an honors student at WWU but kinda happy he didn't have to move away to go to college. lol.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
mattv2099 said:
My friend who was president of student council at WCC, graduated from WCC with triple honors (GPA, honors program, and phi lamer krappa), had nearly a perfect GPA, had rad letters of recomendation couldn't even get into UW
I don't know this as a fact, but I've heard from a few students at the UW that they look down upon CC transfers, unless they're Running Start high school students. At any rate, the UW sure is getting pretty selective.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Tully said:
I don't know this as a fact, but I've heard from a few students at the UW that they look down upon CC transfers, unless they're Running Start high school students. At any rate, the UW sure is getting pretty selective.
Yeah, I've heard that too... I'm sure it doesn't help that my friend was just another random liberal arts dh00d (english major lol)...

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Cash-Money said:
i think it's highly reccomended that you write one, i think you come off as a lazy shiit if you don't
Haha, that was me. But if a 3.9 GPA wasn't enough to get me in, I don't think an essay would've really helped.