Quantcast

I guess I'll post my whip as well.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Looks nicely equipped.
--
100% 4130 chromoly frame with double butted top and down tubes, integrated headset, Odyssey Pro Race forks, Kink Badger bars, Odyssey Monolever, Odyssey Evo 2 brakes, Kink linear brake cable, 3-pc tubular chromoly cranks with 48 spline spindle and Mid BB, Odyssey Twisted PC pedals, Kink Sound 25T chainwheel, 36H 14mm cassette with 1-pc 9T driver, Kink Pivotal seat and post, Sun rims and KMC 510 chain. 20.75" Toptube. (26 lbs)

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I was very surprised the first time I saw the spec list on those. One of the nicest completes out for sure. I heard the frame is actually a Lost Dutchman. Could be misinformed though.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
slam that seat give a bit of angle and its golden.
I'm being half smartass / half serious when I ask "Why does every body say slam the seat and give it some angle?"

I run my seat just high enough and at such an angle that if I chose to sit on it if I'm taking a break from riding or what not, my knees aren't up in my armpits and I'm not getting anally probed. (of course, I'm also about 6'4" so stand over isn't really an issue.)

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
but yeah thanks for all the comments, I remember I saw the thread about the dans coupon codes with one for 20% off and I'm like, "hmmm, I can get a new fork for my hardtail, or a sick complete bmx bike..." getting the kink for a grand total of a little over $550 was a no brainer. and yeah I haven't touched my hardtail since I got it haha.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I was very surprised the first time I saw the spec list on those. One of the nicest completes out for sure. I heard the frame is actually a Lost Dutchman. Could be misinformed though.
considering that the website says the complete weighs 23 lbs 13 oz it probably is pretty close if not identical.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
shut up john!!! :biggrin:

yeah stump posts get a lot of their strength from resting on the top of the seat tube, just lettin ya know dude
maybe, but I'm more worried about being able to pedal sitting down a little (my knee is kind of tight after acl surgery) than breaking my seatpost.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
its been over a year for me since, and my year is still tight... but at least i have a full range of motion.
yeah, two years here since acl/meniscus recon. No pain or restrictive movement, but now I just get popping in the morning and some stiffness on random days.
I can't believe people like Danny Way who have had it done like a dozen times... insane.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
so....you still enjoying it ? :)
give us a mini review....
yeah I am loving it! I seriously haven't ridden anything else since getting the kink, and when I pick up my big, heavy 'ol p.1 I'm just like no thanks. the first day I had the thing I was overwhelmed by how much easier everything was. I went from being very inconsistent with 180 bunnyhops to
doing them both ways easily, and I even did a 360 bunnyhop into a bank (still the first day of riding it). When I first bought it I was planning on still using my p.1 for dirt jumping, since I used to be a lot more intimidated of dirt jumps before I switched to mtb in like '03. But then one day I took the kink down to the dirt jumps and found that it was not nearly as bad as I thought, and now I am way more consistent on the jumps than I ever was on my hardtail (although it is scary not being able to afford much of a case or overclear). Basically everything is more fun, and you can do a lot more things on the bmx with relatively sparse street features than with a mountain bike.

Additionally, I am a lot more comfortable (as far as back pain and stuff) on this bike than I was on my old BMX (01 or 02 volume dinosaur), probably because of the tall and wide bars, and maybe even because it is so freaking light.

The only real problem I've had is transitioning from a mountain bike style manual to a bmx style manual (front wheel lower, more leaned back). I still am not nearly as good as I was on my mountain bike after 2 months. Once I do finally get it down, though, all the hops to manuals and things like that are much easier.

As far as durability and performance of the parts I've just had some creaking in the headset and a frayed brake cable, but other than that its been perfect.

Sorry this is mainly a bmx vs mtb review, but I just haven't really ridden any other bmx bikes for a while. All I can say is I love riding this bike as much as I love taking a step back and staring at its raw beauty:cupidarrow:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
good stuff. this seems to be the consensus, one you get on a comfy little-wheeled bike, you never seemed to go back. I think I'm going to be selling my mtb soon...